Class of 2019 - OL/DL Antonio Alfano (NJ) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL/DL Antonio Alfano (NJ)

If Babers believes in Ohana as family, you guard very carefully who you bring into the family. Not to say kids don’t deserve a second chance. But at some point you’re moving beyond “chances” and into enabling. Your family is everything. You protect it.

Last edited:
If Babers believes in Ohana as family, you guard very carefully who you bring into the family. Not to say kids don’t deserve a second chance. But at some point you’re moving beyond “chances” and into enabling. Your family is everything. You protect it.

team culture is everything in running a program. As aHS coach (non football) you don’t get as much say in selecting who comes out for your team. But as a person who has had cancerous kids on a team, it destroys a lot of what was built and takes a long time to rebuild it. Often times (particularly in football, as opposed to Basketball) 1 player will not be talented enough to make up for the detriment he causes on the field.

if Dino and co vets the guy, and deem him worth a shot then I’ll support him full bore as I would any other player to wear Orange. But if they pass on pursuing the guy, I won’t be upset about that either.

Since I was given a second chance by Coach Mac, I am all for HCDB going after AA to solidify the Cuse defense. Kid is also from NJ which could help us in recruiting NJ. Go for it Dino!
There's a huge difference between a second chance, and a third, potentially fourth chance. If this kid was a 3 star coming out of HS there's ZERO chance anyone would be clamoring for us to sign him.

See: Chris Clark

Since I was given a second chance by Coach Mac, I am all for HCDB going after AA to solidify the Cuse defense. Kid is also from NJ which could help us in recruiting NJ. Go for it Dino!
You've been very open about your story. We talked about it when I met you at CMU in 2014.

Here's the thing. You were given a second chance and you atoned for your mistakes.

This guy is a year out of high school and has already burned through 2 P5 programs. Whether its failed pee tests, unwillingness to submit to rules, or whatever else - this guy seems to have issues far beyond what you did back in the late 70s.

There's a huge difference between a second chance, and a third, potentially fourth chance. If this kid was a 3 star coming out of HS there's ZERO chance anyone would be clamoring for us to sign him.

See: Chris Clark
Yes agreed...sometimes talent buys you more chances than the next guy. If you are a 3 star, why would they take you, they can get a replacement for you in no time. 5star, top of the class is a no brainer.

Yes agreed...sometimes talent buys you more chances than the next guy. If you are a 3 star, why would they take you, they can get a replacement for you in no time. 5star, top of the class is a no brainer.
I'm confused. Has this person contributed or played at a 5-star level in any of his layovers?

You've been very open about your story. We talked about it when I met you at CMU in 2014.

Here's the thing. You were given a second chance and you atoned for your mistakes.

This guy is a year out of high school and has already burned through 2 P5 programs. Whether its failed pee tests, unwillingness to submit to rules, or whatever else - this guy seems to have issues far beyond what you did back in the late 70s.
I agree here but we need all the help we can get to win in the ACC.

Interesting discussion here. We took Alton Robinson who had a criminal history and kept Devon Clarke despite his transgressions while on the roster.

To my knowledge, after research, this player has not been accused of any crime at either institution nor any issues with players/students.

Interesting that so many are against giving him a look despite knowing the talent deficiencies we face at SU. You can't raise the level of the program on coaching and scheme alone if that hasn't become evident. Need better talent.

Don't know if he is a take by staff or if there is any mutual interest but a blanket No because he went to two other schools shouldn't be the policy imo.

Interesting discussion here. We took Alton Robinson who had a criminal history and kept Devon Clarke despite his transgressions while on the roster.

To my knowledge, after research, this player has not been accused of any crime at either institution nor any issues with players/students.

Interesting that so many are against giving him a look despite knowing the talent deficiencies we face at SU. You can't raise the level of the program on coaching and scheme alone if that hasn't become evident. Need better talent.

Don't know if he is a take by staff or if there is any mutual interest but a blanket No because he went to two other schools shouldn't be the policy imo.
Besides already leaving two college programs he attended three different high schools. Just my thought there seems to be some type of issue with commitment. At Alabama he supposedly just stop showing up for classes, practices or counseling for some unspecified issues.

Alton and Devon made commitments to turn things around in their lives.

Besides already leaving two college programs he attended three different high schools. Just my thought there seems to be some type of issue with commitment. At Alabama he supposedly just stop showing up for classes, practices or counseling for some unspecified issues.

Alton and Devon made commitments to turn things around in their lives.
Whoa ... Alabama has classes? :cool:

What happens if Dino can get inside this kids head and the light goes off? We then have a 5* recruit, one of only three since 2000, who can upgrade our DL talent to stop all the 5* RB/ATH recruits that Clemson & FSU get every year. Third time may be a charm for a team that has the lowest average recruit ratings in the ACC.

Last edited:
What happens if Dino can get inside this kids head and the light goes off? We then have a 5* recruit, one of only three since 2000, who can upgrade our DL talent to stop all the 5* RB/ATH recruits that Clemson & FSU get every year. Third time may be a charm for a team that has the lowest average recruit ratings in the ACC.

Devils advocate - what happens if Dino can’t get this kid turned around?

Dino & staff are always selling the academics, and strive to bring in high character kids who are also good/great athletes.

One bad apple could seriously mess with the Family/la Familia/Ohana vibe he’s worked so hard to instill.

Lastly - just because he WAS a 5* coming out of HS, he may never play up to that level.
Especially if he has a 1* head.

Devils advocate - what happens if Dino can’t get this kid turned around?

Dino & staff are always selling the academics, and strive to bring in high character kids who are also good/great athletes.

One bad apple could seriously mess with the Family/la Familia/Ohana vibe he’s worked so hard to instill.

Lastly - just because he WAS a 5* coming out of HS, he may never play up to that level.
Especially if he has a 1* head.

All P5 schools are selling the same things that Syracuse is selling on the recruiting trail (academics, alumni network, great college experience, great coaches, family, facilities, etc. ). In addition, they are selling winning and a path to the NFL which is something we fall short on currently.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The "family" concept is sold at every school by every coach it just has different labels and ours has a cool sounding Hawaiian word associated with it. Although I'm sure that Dino lives it more than some others, I also know that if you can't mix in consistent play on the field with the values that you teach off the field then you don't end up being able to do either in the long run.

I believe we should mine under every rock/troubled kid/transfer for talent. If they fit, we should be aggressive and give short leashes after they come to campus. Imo, this program lacks talent more than anything else that is holding it back.

These kids need "families" too.

All P5 schools are selling the same things that Syracuse is selling on the recruiting trail (academics, alumni network, great college experience, great coaches, family, facilities, etc. ). In addition, they are selling winning and a path to the NFL which is something we fall short on currently.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The "family" concept is sold at every school by every coach it just has different labels and ours has a cool sounding Hawaiian word associated with it. Although I'm sure that Dino lives it more than some others, I also know that if you can't mix in consistent play on the field with the values that you teach off the field then you don't end up being able to do either in the long run.

I believe we should mine under every rock/troubled kid/transfer for talent. If they fit, we should be aggressive and give short leashes after they come to campus. Imo, this program lacks talent more than anything else that is holding it back.

These kids need "families" too.
Our path to the NFL is as good as anyone else's, or within delta, certainly.

It’s possible for an NFL level talent kid to get lost at Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or even Ped State. But at SU, if you’re NFL caliber the path is there.

Last edited:
Was looking for new JUCO DT commit on sites and came across this guy! AA has been all over the place and I’m sure he won’t be a take, but just noticed he’s the 4th ranked JUCO player in the country and now at Lackawanna CC.

It’s a North Jersey kid who probably needs true mentors, some guidance and coaching. Fran and ERob seems to be guys who can preach the lord, and guide this kid towards doing something with his life.

He’s got tons of offers this year from high majors. Would love for us to throw a feeler in there but no there is little to no chance.

Was looking for new JUCO DT commit on sites and came across this guy! AA has been all over the place and I’m sure he won’t be a take, but just noticed he’s the 4th ranked JUCO player in the country and now at Lackawanna CC.

It’s a North Jersey kid who probably needs true mentors, some guidance and coaching. Fran and ERob seems to be guys who can preach the lord, and guide this kid towards doing something with his life.

He’s got tons of offers this year from high majors. Would love for us to throw a feeler in there but no there is little to no chance.
Character is important when you're changing the culture of a program. Pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom