Class of 2025 - OL/DL Matthew Hawn (NY: CBA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/1/2024) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 OL/DL Matthew Hawn (NY: CBA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/1/2024)

This is a great trend. We need to recruit nationally, dominate NJ and New England, get a good chunk of Penn, and just flat out own NY. We need other forums when seeing a great prospect from NY saying "Yeah we'd love to have him, but you're wasting resources going against Cuse up there."

1969 yellow Dodge Dart.jpg

Fran has the perfect blueprint for this program. Start with the kids in a local radius that are worthy of playing at SU, the ones getting looks at peer programs or are standouts physically but under the radar. Lock them in. Build your foundation within our area, and now go after the nationally ranked/offered kids.

I have been sick of seeing our cba kids go to Pitt/bc etc. then end up in the league. Finally we are owning our backyard. When the local pond has a few big fish, you need to catch them and not let the out of town fisherman come in and take what’s yours!

Great job. Now also have to start locking up Rochester and Buffalo. (Like Fran and crew don’t know that already.)
Then inroads into PA and Ohio, and make those schools worry about their own backyard, rather than invading ours.

Fran has the perfect blueprint for this program. Start with the kids in a local radius that are worthy of playing at SU, the ones getting looks at peer programs or are standouts physically but under the radar. Lock them in. Build your foundation within our area, and now go after the nationally ranked/offered kids.

This is my take on it, as well. The precision in targeting specific local recruits and succeeding in getting them to commit will free up man hours to focus on some of the big fish down the line. Those recruits tend to take up much more time with their late decision times and it lets the staff understand how much NIL they’ve got remaining to work with and utilize most effectively. Maintaining a commitment typically is easier than getting one in the first place. I’m sure one or two may fall through but the majority are guys that will be here on signing day.

Even though the transfer portal dominates headlines, in football most of all teams are still going to be your HS recruits (outside of a few places like Ole Miss and Colorado, which is still TBD in how it works). It’s much easier to build a basketball roster entirely out of transfers than football. I love our strategy to identify the local athletes we think have the traits to be developed into big time players, as opposed to relying entirely on guys from other regions.

I think I repeatedly posted this 5 years ago and got absolutely ridiculed for it, but everyone else thinks of it, it's brilliant!

I think I repeatedly posted this 5 years ago and got absolutely ridiculed for it, but everyone else thinks of it, it's brilliant!
Fran and his staff, along with heavier resources, have the ability to land these kids. The other staff(s) did not. The strategy has always been there but suggesting it for staffs that have no ability to implement it isn’t so brilliant.

Fran and his staff, along with heavier resources, have the ability to land these kids. The other staff(s) did not. The strategy has always been there but suggesting it for staffs that have no ability to implement it isn’t so brilliant.
Robinson nor Dino went near New York till later and same with Jersey.