Class of 2019 - OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC) Grad Transfer from UT Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC) Grad Transfer from UT Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are currently like 4 complete strings of O-linemen on the 2021 roster. At some point, no matter how bad they’ve been, you got what you got.
Yes, I think we are really close to being a full house at OL right now.

I am guessing we take one more OT, tops. Maybe none.

Yes, I think we are really close to being a full house at OL right now.

I am guessing we take one more OT, tops. Maybe none.

Agreed. This is the guy they're targeting.

If we don't land him, we roll with what we have, and I'd expect they'll fill the 3 remaining open slots elsewhere [NT, DB, WR]. If they do land him, I'd expect WR to drop off the list.

I wouldn't worry too much about where guys are projected. We are returning two starting OTs, we've added one JUCO OT, and guys have positional versatility [for example, Servais could slide to center, play LT, or RT]. We also have a guy at OT [Red] that the coaching staff likes a lot, who was hurt all of last year.

Given the depth issues we've experienced the past two years, we just need to add the most talent we can, get them in spring practice / preseason camp, and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe this kid is a RT. Maybe he's a guard. Let's land him and find out.
I am not a FB aficionado, but why should anyone be excited because we are returning any offensive linemen, other than we are not starting freshmen?

I am not a FB aficionado, but why should anyone be excited because we are returning any offensive linemen, other than we are not starting freshmen?

Because we had massive injuries. We had 6 -- SIX offensive guards who were injured last year, and could barely field a full unit, let alone a two-deep. No wonder we struggled so much to run block.

We've added a ton of depth, and gotten several players back from injury heading into next season. We've added an OG who started at Florida. And it is entirely possible that two guys who started the majority of the year [Tisdale and Vetterrelo] might actually shift to the the second unit.

The staff was very high on Froumy / Red, and both were gone last year. Ialoa played as a true frosh. We brought in a JUCO OT that the staff is very high on, who is really athletic.

Next year, we could have a more solid starting five, and five guys who play behind them. An injury or two won't sink us.

Still lots to shake out, but the position is trending upward in a big way.

Because we had massive injuries. We had 6 -- SIX offensive guards who were injured last year, and could barely field a full unit, let alone a two-deep. No wonder we struggled so much to run block.

We've added a ton of depth, and gotten several players back from injury heading into next season. We've added an OG who started at Florida. And it is entirely possible that two guys who started the majority of the year [Tisdale and Vetterrelo] might actually shift to the the second unit.

The staff was very high on Froumy / Red, and both were gone last year. Ialoa played as a true frosh. We brought in a JUCO OT that the staff is very high on, who is really athletic.

Next year, we could have a more solid starting five, and five guys who play behind them. An injury or two won't sink us.

Still lots to shake out, but the position is trending upward in a big way.

AND... assuming Twitter is correct - we also have a new O-Line coach.

Who looks to be really good at coaching up O-Linemen, as he's sent several from SDSU to the NFL, while we haven't had ANY O-Line guys stick in the Pros for ages.

So, between some actual depth, and what appears to be an upgrade in coaching said depth, it's not unrealistic to be upbeat about our prospects based on that.

AND... assuming Twitter is correct - we also have a new O-Line coach.

Who looks to be really good at coaching up O-Linemen, as he's sent several from SDSU to the NFL, while we haven't had ANY O-Line guys stick in the Pros for ages.

So, between some actual depth, and what appears to be an upgrade in coaching said depth, it's not unrealistic to be upbeat about our prospects based on that.

Great point.

The position benchmark should be 15-18 offensive lineman.

There are currently 12 scholarship lineman on the roster (excludes QWhite)

We're bringing in 6. (5 freshman and 1 juco = 18)

You can make an argument we actually have a big need for a guard. A kid with ACC size and Tyler is an upperclassman with 3 yrs to play.

Pat Davis' status unknown.

We could lose as many as 4 OL after the 2021 season. 3 guards and 1 tackle (Davis, Davis, Tisdale, Servais)

Airon ServaisOL6' 6"
309​
R-Sr.
Patrick DavisOL6' 5"
311​
Sr.
Darius TisdaleOL6' 4"
342​
R-Jr.
Dakota DavisOL6' 5"
327​
R-Jr.
Matthew BergeronOL6' 4"
312​
So.
Mark PetryOL6' 4"
265​
So.
Carlos VettorelloOL6' 4"
289​
R-So.
Chris BleichOL6' 6"
332​
R-So.
Wil FroumyOL6' 6"
307​
R-So.
Anthony RedOL6' 5"
297​
R-Fr.
Garth BarclayOL6' 7"
270​
Fr.
Josh IlaoaOL6' 3"
295​
Fr.

OT
Servais SR
Bergeron SO
Red RFR
Barclay RFR
Froumy RSO ??

G
Tisdale RJR
PDavis SR status unknown
Bleich RSO
DDavis RJr

C
Vettorello RSO
LLaoa FR

*Petry is so light who knows where he's projected but he can't play anywhere at that weight

*Consider you have to protect against injury and attrition. Potentially bringing in 7 OL with 2 upperclassman allows for the 5 freshman to assimilate and not be forced into action before they are ready. 3 of the freshman are no where near ready weight wise. (Kauhi 265, Hoeh 250, Magnuson 260) and with Ellis being listed north of 350 he's just as much a wait and see as well.

*I think we should bring in the 7 to get our depth and development right. I have my reservations on Tyler but lets assume there's a contributing role for him here just based on his prior offers and playing at Texas.

Last edited:

We're bringing in 6. (5 freshman and 1 transfer = 18)

You can make an argument we actually have a big need for a guard. With ACC size and Tyler is an upperclassman with 3 yrs to play.

Could lose as many as 4 OL after the 2021 season. 3 guards and 1 tackle

Airon ServaisOL6' 6"
309​
R-Sr.
Patrick DavisOL6' 5"
311​
Sr.
Darius TisdaleOL6' 4"
342​
R-Jr.
Dakota DavisOL6' 5"
327​
R-Jr.
Matthew BergeronOL6' 4"
312​
So.
Mark PetryOL6' 4"
265​
So.
Carlos VettorelloOL6' 4"
289​
R-So.
Chris BleichOL6' 6"
332​
R-So.
Wil FroumyOL6' 6"
307​
R-So.
Anthony RedOL6' 5"
297​
R-Fr.
Garth BarclayOL6' 7"
270​
Fr.
Josh IlaoaOL6' 3"
295​
Fr.

OT
Servais SR
Bergeron SO
Red RFR
Barclay RFR
Froumy RSO ??

G
Tisdale RJR
PDavis SR status unknown
Bleich RSO
DDavis RJr

C
Vettorello RSO
LLaoa FR

*Petry is so light who knows where he's projected but he can't play anywhere at that weight

*Consider you have to protect against injury and attrition. Bringing potentially 7 OL in with 2 upperclassman allows for the 5 freshman to assimilate and not be forced into action before they are ready. 3 of the freshman are no where near ready weight wise. (Kauhi 265, Hoeh 250, Magnuson 260) and with Ellis being listed north of 350 he's just as much a wait and see as well.

*I think we should bring in the 7 to get our depth and development right. I have my reservations on Tyler but lets assume there's a contributing role for him here just based on his prior offers and playing at Texas.
Magnusson was already 278 according to screen shot.

We're bringing in 6. (5 freshman and 1 transfer = 18)

You can make an argument we actually have a big need for a guard. With ACC size and Tyler is an upperclassman with 3 yrs to play.

Could lose as many as 4 OL after the 2021 season. 3 guards and 1 tackle

Airon ServaisOL6' 6"
309​
R-Sr.
Patrick DavisOL6' 5"
311​
Sr.
Darius TisdaleOL6' 4"
342​
R-Jr.
Dakota DavisOL6' 5"
327​
R-Jr.
Matthew BergeronOL6' 4"
312​
So.
Mark PetryOL6' 4"
265​
So.
Carlos VettorelloOL6' 4"
289​
R-So.
Chris BleichOL6' 6"
332​
R-So.
Wil FroumyOL6' 6"
307​
R-So.
Anthony RedOL6' 5"
297​
R-Fr.
Garth BarclayOL6' 7"
270​
Fr.
Josh IlaoaOL6' 3"
295​
Fr.

OT
Servais SR
Bergeron SO
Red RFR
Barclay RFR
Froumy RSO ??

G
Tisdale RJR
PDavis SR status unknown
Bleich RSO
DDavis RJr

C
Vettorello RSO
LLaoa FR

*Consider you have to protect against injury and attrition potentially 7 OL in with 2 upperclassman allows for the 5 freshman to assimilate and not be forced into action before they are ready. 3 of the freshman are no where near ready weight wise. (Kauhi 265, Hoeh 250, Magnuson 260) and with Ellis being listed north of 350 he's just as much a wait and see as well.

I really appreciate these analyses. To all the stout members who offer thoughtful insight and dogged research, I salute you. Makes this forum such a go-to oracle of Orange truth.
BTW I accidentally bought Crunchy Peanut Butter again yesterday. I hate when that happens.

We're bringing in 6. (5 freshman and 1 juco = 18)

You can make an argument we actually have a big need for a guard. A kid with ACC size and Tyler is an upperclassman with 3 yrs to play.

We could lose as many as 4 OL after the 2021 season. 3 guards and 1 tackle (Davis, Davis, Tisdale, Servais)

Airon ServaisOL6' 6"
309​
R-Sr.
Patrick DavisOL6' 5"
311​
Sr.
Darius TisdaleOL6' 4"
342​
R-Jr.
Dakota DavisOL6' 5"
327​
R-Jr.
Matthew BergeronOL6' 4"
312​
So.
Mark PetryOL6' 4"
265​
So.
Carlos VettorelloOL6' 4"
289​
R-So.
Chris BleichOL6' 6"
332​
R-So.
Wil FroumyOL6' 6"
307​
R-So.
Anthony RedOL6' 5"
297​
R-Fr.
Garth BarclayOL6' 7"
270​
Fr.
Josh IlaoaOL6' 3"
295​
Fr.

OT
Servais SR
Bergeron SO
Red RFR
Barclay RFR
Froumy RSO ??

G
Tisdale RJR
PDavis SR status unknown
Bleich RSO
DDavis RJr

C
Vettorello RSO
LLaoa FR

*Consider you have to protect against injury and attrition. Bringing potentially 7 OL in with 2 upperclassman allows for the 5 freshman to assimilate and not be forced into action before they are ready. 3 of the freshman are no where near ready weight wise. (Kauhi 265, Hoeh 250, Magnuson 260) and with Ellis being listed north of 350 he's just as much a wait and see as well.

I think Patrick Davis is like 36 years old

Magnusson was already 278 according to screen shot.
I think think his screen shot was really 270.8, but still not a bad sign that he is gaining some weight.

On the other hand, super excited that Enrique Cruz is up to 290 lbs or was by mid December. That is just awesome. No reason not to think he couldn't put on at least 10 more lbs by the 2022 season. Really think he has a chance to be a 4 year starter as a very athletic OT and anchor our OL for a while. He was a huge get. With him, Bergeron and Red, hopefully our OT's can be solid for a while.

I think think his screen shot was really 270.8, but still not a bad sign that he is gaining some weight.

On the other hand, super excited that Enrique Cruz is up to 290 lbs or was by mid December. That is just awesome. No reason not to think he couldn't put on at least 10 more lbs by the 2022 season. Really think he has a chance to be a 4 year starter as a very athletic OT and anchor our OL for a while. He was a huge get. With him, Bergeron and Red, hopefully our OT's can be solid for a while.

That's a really good point -- and I didn't include Cruz in my list above, so good call out.

He is so athletic and has great feet, it isn't hard to envision why he was a 4-star. The one area he was lacking was sufficient size / strength / weight to hold up at the point of attack. If he's up to 290 [and it's "good" weight], maybe he IS ready to see the field year one.

That would be something. That would shift Bergeron [IMO, our best OL] back to RT, shoring up that position. It would also enable Servais to move back to C full time, which would shore up another trouble spot, and move Veterrello to the second unit -- which would strengthen the two-deep.

A starting lineup with:

LT Cruz
LG Davis
C Servais
RG Bleich
RT Bergeron

...is way better than the starting unit we fielded this year. We'd also have Vett / Tisdale -- who were starters this year -- helping to solidify the second unit on the two-deep. You'd also have Ialoa, who played some this year, Red / Froumy who allegedly were expected to make a big push last year before both getting injured, JUCO Bradford [who on paper would be more ready than an incoming frosh to potentially play], and possibly this kid transferring from Texas.

What a transformation.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. OL is the key to the season, IMO.

Last edited:
That's a really good point -- and I didn't include Cruz in my list above, so good call out.

He is so athletic and has great feet, it isn't hard to envision why he was a 4-star. The one area he was lacking was sufficient size / strength / weight to hold up at the point of attack. If he's up to 290 [and it's "good" weight], maybe he IS ready to see the field year one.

That would be something. That would shift Bergeron [IMO, our best OL] back to RT, shoring up that position. It would also enable Servais to move back to C full time, which would shore up another trouble spot, and move Veterrello to the second unit -- which would strengthen the two-deep.

A starting lineup with:

LT Cruz
LG Davis
C Servais
RG Bleich
RT Bergeron

...is way better than the starting unit we fielded this year. We'd also have Vett / Tisdale -- who were starters this year -- helping to solidify the second unit on the two-deep. You'd also have Ialoa, who played some this year, Red / Froumy who allegedly were expected to make a big push last year before both getting injured, JUCO Bradford [who on paper would be more ready than an incoming frosh to potentially play], and possibly this kid transferring from Texas.

What a transformation.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. OL is the key to the season, IMO.
I do think its possible Cruz is big enough and he surely will be athletic enough to play this coming year, I just don't think having a true Frosh start as at OT is the best decision and is less likely at LT. Certainly doesn't seem smart unless necessary. Guess i'm just hoping we have better depth and options. It would think he would need to learn and perfect technique, assignments and plays first. We've had some 4 year starters at Tackle but not usually as true frosh. Bergeron played as a true frosh but that was out of serious necessity. Looks like he played in all games but was only a starter in 5 of them. Considering Red has two years in the system, even though injured a bit, I would guess he'd start over Cruz. Hoping Red is talented enough to the point that Cruz isn't forced in so early. Then maybe Cruz would be a back-up in case of injury. Then again if we get any injuries on the OL before the opener, maybe Cruz is the best option to start at a Tackle spot and then shift some guys around as needed.

As long as any oline ”musical chairs “ is flushed out in the spring so that way come end of July when practice starts the players can get into a rythem with each other going into their first game. Otherwise I really don’t care if it’s a Frosh or 5th year. I trust our new oline coach will put the best line on the field.

I personally thought Servais was terrible at center and I can’t see a true freshman starting at LT. just my 2 cents.
Servais was the starting center in 2017, and 2018, we ran the ball fairly well, and passed well. It was when he was supposed to play tackle in 2019 and lost weight that he didn' t play well.

Status
Not open for further replies.