Class of 2019 - OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville

He started for rutgers. Not same as starting for michigan or psu.

The experience he got playing against those teams is better than what’s going to be out there. Hes leaving Rutgers cause he graduated and his OL coach went to Minnesota.

The experience he got playing against those teams is better than what’s going to be out there. Hes leaving Rutgers cause he graduated and his OL coach went to Minnesota.

Im not criticizing him but rutgers… in case that wasbt clear

Im not criticizing him but rutgers… in case that wasbt clear
I get the vitriol for Rutgers. Not a big fan of that school either.

But we have two coaches on our staff now that recently coached at Rutgers. 3 or 4 if you count GAs.

These guys saw Tyler on game day, in the locker room, in the weight room. They know who he is on and off the practice field. I am going to assume they vouched for him big time if Syracuse has expressed interest. I think having this kind of inside info on a player is important.

If our coaches want him on the team, so do I.

But we have two coaches on our staff now that recently coached at Rutgers. 3 or 4 if you count GAs.

These guys saw Tyler on game day, in the locker room, in the weight room. They know who he is on and off the practice field. I am going to assume they vouched for him big time if Syracuse has expressed interest. I think having this kind of inside info on a player is important.

Add that to the fact we wanted him first time around… i wasnt taking shots at willie rather that wed want him solely because he started at rutgers

Garden City CC
Iowa Western
Texas
Syracuse
ULM
Rutgers
TBD

I’ve never seen anything quite like this.
Definitely buyer beware with this kid but it’s pretty obvious we are once again hurting at Oline. Shocker I know. We are going to throw a bunch of shyte at the wall as it pertains to our Oline and hope something sticks.

Garden City CC
Iowa Western
Texas
Syracuse
ULM
Rutgers
TBD

GCCC? What am I missing?

I didn't realize he actually started games at Rutgers.

He's a weird option, but probably as good an option as we can find right now.

I didn't realize he actually started games at Rutgers.

He's a weird option, but probably as good an option as we can find right now.
The portal hasn’t re-opened yet and spring practices haven’t ended yet. I am fine if we get this kid but options will increase quickly and we need to jump on them. We get half decent O Line play this year we can be an 8 win team

The portal hasn’t re-opened yet and spring practices haven’t ended yet. I am fine if we get this kid but options will increase quickly and we need to jump on them. We get half decent O Line play this year we can be an 8 win team
I think they will bring in 2-3 more OL in addition to Meololo and hopefully Reed already coming this summer.

I think most fans recognize that as with most years, OL is going to be a big determinant of success.

And most years, we lack both depth and quality. We've also had numerous years recently where some of the guys we're counting upon get injured and miss time, which makes the OL fall apart.

I don't love Tyler. I dislike that this is the third consecutive year we've made an overture -- feels like Quade Green redux. And the jilted fan in me wouldn't mind seeing the coaching staff tell this kid to pound salt.

But then I think about how J'onre Reed didn't show up on campus as planned last January, and how his status is still up in the air. And that the perpetually injured Bleich seems to be hurt yet again this spring. I think about how Kalan Ellis, despite being monolith sized, didn't move the pile the way you'd expect. I think about how Joe More is making the jump to a higher level, and is therefore unproven.

And then, Tyler doesn't seem like a bad one-year rental. AT MINIMUM, he has the positional versatility to provide depth at three positions [LG, RG, RT] as an experienced reserve, which would help mask some challenges in the two-deep. And that's at minimum.

If Bleich can't shake the injury bug, this guy could slide in at RG. If More falters, he can play RT.

Right now, we've got Joe Cruz, Bradford, and a somewhat limited Petry as experienced depth. I list Ialaoa as a starter, because of the uncertainty with Reed. Like others, I hope that we add depth this spring, after the next portal influx. Hopefully, a player like Tyler is just the first of 1 or 2 more additional OL that can help upgrade the overall talent and depth at OL.

OL could literally be the difference between a 5 win season and an 8 or 9 win season. So if we can land this guy -- heck yes, we should bring him in. And I'll hold my nose about the fan-based stuff expressed above, and enjoy the contributions he'd provide helping us shore up a chronic position of difficulty.

Garden City CC
Iowa Western
Texas
Syracuse
ULM
Rutgers
TBD

college free agency, it's like a utility infielder in MLB, switching teams every year

college free agency, it's like a utility infielder in MLB, switching teams every year

He only played at Western, Texas, Louisiana Monroe and Rutgers. 4 schools.

2022 (Senior): Played in 11 games with nine starts at left tackle ... honored on Senior Day against No. 11 Penn State (11/19) ... helped the offense total 460 yards at Michigan State (11/12) ... part of unit that allowed no sacks and held the ball for 38:53 in the win over Indiana (10/22) ... helped offense rush for 212 yards in Rutgers debut at Boston College (9/3).

2021 (Junior at Louisiana Monroe): Started nine games at left tackle.

2020 (Junior at Texas): Did not see game action.

2019 (Sophomore at Texas): Did not see game action … a member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.

2018 (Freshman at Iowa Western CC): Transitioned to offensive line … helped Iowa Western to a 10-1 overall record, including a win in the Graphic Edge Bowl.

Last edited:

I keep seeing references to a second portal and all these kids who are going to be flooding it. I believe this second portal season is a bit overblown and we're not going to see P5 starting OLineman available here. And if you look around the landscape everybody is looking for lineman.

This kid is a P5 talent and better than bringing in someone like Ryan Alexander from South Alabama. That's the type of kids we're likley to see available from the portal this summer.

It's seems incredibly strange that people don't want an OLineman because he decommitted once. He's 6-6 320 and played 2 seasons for Texas and started 9 games for Rutgers. Everyone wants to win football games next year right? Or would we prefer to see Shrader running for his life?

The OL this spring has been very poor from what I've heard.

Last edited:
I keep seeing references to a second portal and all these kids who are going to be flooding it. I believe this second portal season is a bit overblown and we're not going to see P5 starting OLineman available here. And if you look around the landscape everybody is looking for lineman.

This kid is a P5 talent and better than bringing in someone like Ryan Alexander from South Alabama. That's the type of kids we're likley to see available from the portal this summer.

It's seems incredibly strange that people don't want an OLineman because he decommitted once. He's 6-6 320 and played 2 seasons for Texas and started 9 games for Rutgers. Everyone wants to win football games next year right? Or would we prefer to see Shrader running for his life?

It's pretty obvious we need him either as depth or as a starting upgrade so I hope we do land him and he sticks.

That being said my frustration is that we are in this situation to begin with.

Just to clarify re playing at Texas for newcomers to this thread.

Tyler signed with Texas out of Iowa Western Community College in the 2019 recruiting cycle. He redshirted as a sophomore in 2019, and opted out in 2020 due to concerns regarding the coronavirus pandemic. Therefore Tyler never even played a down for Texas before transferring out with the Longhorns change in its coaching staff.