Class of 2018 - OLB/DE Caleb Okechukwu (DC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OLB/DE Caleb Okechukwu (DC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

Caleb’s UA film starts right about 1:06. The OL he’s going against is committed to Michigan State.

One other tidbit I’ve picked up. He was offered by Texas while on his official visit, so this means he passed their tests. It’s reported that Herman only offers committable offers.

It seems he definitely has offers from Texas, Tennessee, Arkansas, and I’m seeing maybe Arizona, Cal and Michigan St.
he definitely got a Texas offer. Texas is waiting on Ojomo and Ossai, and Okechukwu is behind those guys for a spot in the class.

He's a talent I'd be incredibly excited for Syracuse to land.

he definitely got a Texas offer. Texas is waiting on Ojomo and Ossai, and Okechukwu is behind those guys for a spot in the class.

He's a talent I'd be incredibly excited for Syracuse to land.

From what I understand, Herman only gives out committable offers so I don’t believe Caleb is behind those guys. Doesn’t really matter though I think we should feel good here.

edit: changed my mind - want to preserve anonymity

Last edited:
As mentioned before, it's nice to see that the three star guys we are getting, and are legitimately in on, have offers from big time programs, instead of the 3 star guys we used to get with offers from Kansas, Indiana, and a bunch of MAC Schools. These recruits are that next notch up in talent.

edit: changed my mind - want to preserve anonymity
239473_o.gif

ha, sorry - looking at my edit now it sounds like I'm interesting or mysterious or something. I'm not special or connected or anything when it comes to Syracuse. Don't draw any conclusions.

As mentioned before, it's nice to see that the three star guys we are getting, and are legitimately in on, have offers from big time programs, instead of the 3 star guys we used to get with offers from Kansas, Indiana, and a bunch of MAC Schools. These recruits are that next notch up in talent.

You’re right but it’s funny how during the Shafer era, the Shafer die hards would say the exact same things about recruits that’s being said now.

You’re right but it’s funny how during the Shafer era, the Shafer die hards would say the exact same things about recruits that’s being said now.
I think the building up of recruits during the Shafer era (because that's what we do as fans who want us to be successful so bad) has made the casual observer less likely to believe in our current recruiting success until it translates onto the field and into the NFL Draft. Regardless, the players we're getting now are absolutely better than the ones during Shafer's tenure.

How could they have? We factually have gotten, and continue to be in the hunt for, players that have a lot of P5 offers. With Shafer, we would land maybe 2-3 guys with more than 4 P5 offers.

Probably because it was valid, on paper.

Shafer had a pretty good class relatively speaking in 2014 on paper and there were kids in that had pretty decent offer list. KJ Williams was a Rivals 250 kid. Problem was that the top end of his class didn’t qualify or were overrated.

We don’t have that problem here, at least on the qualification part. The kids in this class will be here.

Brutal looking at that list. Shafer had 4 classes though right? What did his other classes look like?

Not only that but looking at that list a few didn't even make it to campus.

Brutal looking at that list. Shafer had 4 classes though right? What did his other classes look like?

Technically had 3 but his first class in 2013 he had about 5 weeks to finish after Marrone bailed and that class was already shaping up to be Marrone’s worst. Lots of whiffs and lightly recruited JUCO’s. He was fired before completing the 2016 class.

I have a hard time criticizing him for that 2013 class. I look at Baber’s abbreviated 2016 class as more a miracle than a benchmark.

After the 7-6 season and Shafer’s Staff closing on that 2014 class, McDonald looked like the real deal when it came to recruiting. Then most of the top half of that class imploded along with both QB recruits and the fan base turned pretty quickly on him. Even so, Ishmael, Franklin and Slayton were all heavily recruited and made a mark on the program.

Even so, Ishmael, Franklin and Slayton were all heavily recruited and made a mark on the program.

I think this is one of the few conclusions that can be drawn. The 3 players with the best offers made the biggest marks.

Wards DQ wasnt his fault

Enoicy was a bust compared to his offers.

Erv and Parris have to be considered hidden gems that panned out.

Big differences I see in classes is physical size.

Am really curious to see how we close. Fitzroy seems to be the only real b-list type kid and even he has Maryland (and at least he’s from Armwood). We’re only as good as our bottom half. I also get the feeling we’re back burnering Howard.

I think this is one of the few conclusions that can be drawn. The 3 players with the best offers made the biggest marks.

Wards DQ wasnt his fault

Am really curious to see how we close. Fitzroy seems to be the only real b-list type kid and even he has Maryland (and at least he’s from Armwood). We’re only as good as our bottom half. I also get the feeling we’re back burnering Howard.
Agreed. Howard is in if Salud goes to Pitt.

Wards DQ wasnt his fault

Yeah I think the biggest difference between the classes is Babers insists on kids being qualified and also tries to eliminate red flags as best he can during the process, rather than hoping and praying kids qualify and not pursuing other targets that they know can be here. And to that point, maybe there weren’t other targets. Just seemed like an eggs in one basket philosophy when it came to recruiting.

Yeah I think the biggest difference between the classes is Babers insists on kids being qualified and also tries to eliminate red flags as best he can during the process, rather than hoping and praying kids qualify and not pursuing other targets that they know can be here. And to that point, maybe there weren’t other targets. Just seemed like an eggs in one basket philosophy when it came to recruiting.
I think the implementation of the early signing is probably making most programs require kids to be qualified before signing.

Wards DQ wasnt his fault

Fitzroy is an academic risk. With better grades he’d have multiple offers. Was no where near close to qualifying halfway through jr year. He’s done a lot of work to close the gap.

don't love our chances here, but they're still pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom