Class of 2019 - OLB Mikel Jones (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OLB Mikel Jones (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Pretty amazing story -- glad to see that both LB prospects like the coaches that were recruiting them, and were [not surprisingly] intrigued by the opportunity being discussed by Dino Babers.

But this article highlights how important it was that these two guys happened to be on campus at the same time and just simply hit it off. Serendipitous for Syracuse football!

Hes an early enrollee... if you read just above...
Thanks...had not seen any chatter on our highest rated recruit and wanted to make sure he was still a solid commit. Perhaps I should have phrased slightly differently.

Thanks...had not seen any chatter on our highest rated recruit and wanted to make sure he was still a solid commit. Perhaps I should have phrased slightly differently.

I can understand what you are saying. I want to see the ink on the paper. lol Those two LBers are our top recruits. I was not worried about Lee Kpogba , but like you said ,no chatter lately on Mr. Jones. Glad he is a early enrollee.

It may be a bit subtle, but I think it's important. There HAD to be that concern in the back of many recruits' minds that Dino wouldn't be here for the long haul.

Now that that's been addressed, recruiting going forward is poised to take a big jump.

It may be a bit subtle, but I think it's important. There HAD to be that concern in the back of many recruits' minds that Dino wouldn't be here for the long haul.

Now that that's been addressed, recruiting going forward is poised to take a big jump.

I'm not sure why people thought this was such an issue.

His contract wasn't running out. There were no legitimate news sources identifying him as a real candidate or even a finalist for ANY job that was open. He was coming off a winning season with no hint the administration didn't want him around. Many higher profile recruits have been committing all fall. Every school, any other recruit would be looking at, the Head Coach could potentially leave as well.

This whole concern about this impacting recruiting was such a fabricated story, it's laughable.

His contract wasn't running out. There were no legitimate news sources identifying him as a real candidate or even a finalist for ANY job that was open. He was coming off a winning season with no hint the administration didn't want him around. Many higher profile recruits have been committing all fall. Every school, any other recruit would be looking at, the Head Coach could potentially leave as well.

This whole concern about this impacting recruiting was such a fabricated story, it's laughable.

I disagree. We've hardly been a FB Factory over the last few years. Dino was the spark. Without Dino, who knows, maybe we're back in the Gerg Era. This kind of stability is a big deal.

Of course, I could be wrong...

I disagree. We've hardly been a FB Factory over the last few years. Dino was the spark. Without Dino, who knows, maybe we're back in the Gerg Era. This kind of stability is a big deal.

Of course, I could be wrong...

I'm going to say, I don't believe you are correct, based on things I've heard.

Again, all the things I outlined above are true. He was still under contract, he wasn't interviewing anywhere, and there was no sense around the country that any school wanted him badly (based on opening available). Or as I'm under the impression, anyone with initial interest was given a little bit of a brush off.

The idea this was creating question marks for recruits was a board created drama.

In today’s day and age of misinformation and fake news there doesn’t need to be legitimate sources to cause concern. People were calling the LVille garbage ‘smoke’ and all it takes is a little negative recruiting. The door has now been slammed shut on that.

Last edited:
I'm going to say, I don't believe you are correct, based on things I've heard.

Again, all the things I outlined above are true. He was still under contract, he wasn't interviewing anywhere, and there was no sense around the country that any school wanted him badly (based on opening available). Or as I'm under the impression, anyone with initial interest was given a little bit of a brush off.

The idea this was creating question marks for recruits was a board created drama.

Here's why I disagree. Without this (apparent) long-term agreement w/Dino, he would be forever on the short list for coaching openings, even if he had no interest in most of them. We haven't been Michigan, Notre Dame, 'Bama, etc., nor would we be expected to be. The coach, for all intents and purposes, was the program.

He'll now be here, which makes buy-in to the program from recruits much easier. To the extent that Dino is the program, recruits can now be reasonably assured that he'll be here. I think that's a game-changer for us.