Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

B-hiRwHIQAAgf7J.jpg:large

Bam, it seems like Shy has been doing some sort of split routine. Is that something he's expecting to continue at SU?

Bam, it seems like Shy has been doing some sort of split routine. Is that something he's expecting to continue at SU?
To be honest I have some fundamental problems with the program they have outlined for him. I am incorporating what they want with more of what we have done with trainers in the past. They have a work out that is 3 days and then 2 days of speed training. We do our workout 3 days and he has track 3 days that they said would be fine for his speed training. I am hoping when he gets on campus the workout they have will be better. I know that all may sound weird but it's what we are doing. Either way he will be more than prepared when he hits campus.

Lol to be honest there is 2 other people behind that shot...but no not many people at 5
Just curious...how many days a week does Shy work specific body parts?

Just curious...how many days a week does Shy work specific body parts?

monday chest and tri's wednesday back and bi's friday shoulders and legs.

monday chest and tri's wednesday back and bi's friday shoulders and legs.
Thanks. Seems like a good routine to give each group enough time to rest/recover.

I never got very good results until I started a similar workout...albeit, with far less intensity;-) I worked opposing muscle groups, push -vs- pull. For example, chest and bi's one day...back and tri's another day etc. It really surprised me how important rest was for each group. Best of luck.

I found the 7 days to be best for size strength and durability. Workouts that have the same group worked the same week tend to plateau quickly for gains and I find tendon damage easily occurs when the same body part is worked. That is why I have him separate the chest and tri back and bi. you use the triceps when doing chest and use biceps when doing back. That way you get one body part worked till failure. As shown in that bottom picture Shy was finishing off his triceps doing dips... started off in a set of 25 by the last set he couldnt pull himself up twice. He will need two hands to pick up a bar of soap at the end of each workout. Then he gets 7 days off from that group. Plenty of protein and foods high in aminos and he will be fully ready next week for longer or higher weights depending on time of year... right now is high weight... 10 reps warm up each station 10 reps at a high weight then max weight for 3 to 5. then on to the next station. 3 to 5 stations per body part. Lift... rest till breathing returns to normal then go again. When we get closer to summer we will go for stamina reps go up weight comes down to 90 percent of max. faster pace to get breathing recovery to speed up. We will time his breathing in between sets to see when his breath returns to normal then all exercise weights running etc. will start a little before that time and get closer together so his breathing will return to normal quicker.

I found the 7 days to be best for size strength and durability. Workouts that have the same group worked the same week tend to plateau quickly for gains and I find tendon damage easily occurs when the same body part is worked. That is why I have him separate the chest and tri back and bi. you use the triceps when doing chest and use biceps when doing back. That way you get one body part worked till failure. As shown in that bottom picture Shy was finishing off his triceps doing dips... started off in a set of 25 by the last set he couldnt pull himself up twice. He will need two hands to pick up a bar of soap at the end of each workout. Then he gets 7 days off from that group. Plenty of protein and foods high in aminos and he will be fully ready next week for longer or higher weights depending on time of year... right now is high weight... 10 reps warm up each station 10 reps at a high weight then max weight for 3 to 5. then on to the next station. 3 to 5 stations per body part. Lift... rest till breathing returns to normal then go again. When we get closer to summer we will go for stamina reps go up weight comes down to 90 percent of max. faster pace to get breathing recovery to speed up. We will time his breathing in between sets to see when his breath returns to normal then all exercise weights running etc. will start a little before that time and get closer together so his breathing will return to normal quicker.

I am going to forward this to SS so that you can be approached by our S@C staff!;)

Mark Rippetoe - Starting Strength (no its not a beginners book)

Jim Wendler - 5-3-1

Look them up. They changed my approach to lifting and I've been doing it for 30 years.

Last edited:
Mark Rippetoe - Starting Strength (no its not a beginners book)

Mark Wendler - 5-3-1

Look them up. They changed my approach to lifting and I've been doing it for 30 years.
I just read an outline of this... Seems close to what we do. The workout we do is a little higher rep it seems. I have taken what i did when I was in the gym 5 days a week and modified it with what some of the personal trainers shy has had to maximize what we get out of it in the gym time we have. Shy's body responds well to this it's what we have been doing since he started lifting at 14. He has never had an injury that wasn't caused by impact. I believe it is big part to how we lift and the days of rest for each group. Shy does yoga every night now also to stretch out and keep flexibility.

I just read an outline of this... Seems close to what we do. The workout we do is a little higher rep it seems. I have taken what i did when I was in the gym 5 days a week and modified it with what some of the personal trainers shy has had to maximize what we get out of it in the gym time we have. Shy's body responds well to this it's what we have been doing since he started lifting at 14. He has never had an injury that wasn't caused by impact. I believe it is big part to how we lift and the days of rest for each group. Shy does yoga every night now also to stretch out and keep flexibility.

Sounds like his lifting routing is way more advanced than most high school kids...he has received some great coaching over the years. Takes discipline, and consistency to build that type of strength/muscle mass. Strength training is measured in months and years (not days and weeks)...to have a teenager, with all of the distractions that are around, make those types of gains is very impressive.

Just out of curiosity, have you guys ever looked into Louie Simmons (Westside Barbell http://www.westside-barbell.com/home/what-is-westside-barbell) or ever work with an Olympic Weightlifting coach? I am always curious as to what type of programming SU strength coaches are utilizing. Westside Barbell has produced some amazing results and are known worldwide...Also, I have always been amazed by the strength and explosiveness that Olympic Weightlifting athletes possess...seems to me that Olympic Weightlifting would be perfect training for sports that rely on strength and explosiveness.

Shy did olympic weight training at velocity and at nesp... One of the nice things over sophomore and junior year was all these local trainers would train shy for free to bring in high school kids and they could say we train shy. The olympic weight training is good for strength and explosiveness. But can make you very stiff... Kiss of death at most positions. We mix in a lot at different times of the year. I was a gym rat for years... Til I got married anyway. I knew what worked for me. With the kids I took them to a lot of different trainers my you get son went to cats and had a trainer at another local gym. Shy had a really good trainer in his fit all team so we worked together a lot. We combine heavy weight and low weigh high reps depending on time of year. Preseason we do a lot of polymetrics yoga and weights. People at the gym always says stuff to shy and I about what we are doing because it's usually much more intense than they see. When I say his final sets he is burnt I litteraly mean he can't scratch his head. He has tremendous focus and has since he was 14. He lives for this game. I tell people at the gym we aren't getting in shape we are building a NFL machine lol

Shy did olympic weight training at velocity and at nesp... One of the nice things over sophomore and junior year was all these local trainers would train shy for free to bring in high school kids and they could say we train shy. The olympic weight training is good for strength and explosiveness. But can make you very stiff... Kiss of death at most positions. We mix in a lot at different times of the year. I was a gym rat for years... Til I got married anyway. I knew what worked for me. With the kids I took them to a lot of different trainers my you get son went to cats and had a trainer at another local gym. Shy had a really good trainer in his fit all team so we worked together a lot. We combine heavy weight and low weigh high reps depending on time of year. Preseason we do a lot of polymetrics yoga and weights. People at the gym always says stuff to shy and I about what we are doing because it's usually much more intense than they see. When I say his final sets he is burnt I litteraly mean he can't scratch his head. He has tremendous focus and has since he was 14. He lives for this game. I tell people at the gym we aren't getting in shape we are building a NFL machine lol

Again, very impressive focus and discipline. Can't wait to see him play...quickly becoming one of my favorite SU football players and he hasn't even set foot on campus yet. His dedication to strength and conditioning reminds me of Shamarko Thomas...who is one of my favorite SU players, will always root for him to succeed.

Tonite shy got a text from coach they want weekly updates on weight and what they are doing for weight in all key lifts. So starting next weeks s much as I don't want to we will be starting their program for lifting. We talked about it a lot and I guess we were only delaying the inevitable by staying with our workouts... Either way he is going to be doing their program for years to come. Here hoping it goes ok

Bambrewer said:
Tonite shy got a text from coach they want weekly updates on weight and what they are doing for weight in all key lifts. So starting next weeks s much as I don't want to we will be starting their program for lifting. We talked about it a lot and I guess we were only delaying the inevitable by staying with our workouts... Either way he is going to be doing their program for years to come. Here hoping it goes ok

Don't worry Bam many of our NFL alums come back over the summer to tune up with this staff. Go with the flow and kill it in their program he'll probably have good early body response to the program from the muscle confusuion if you believe the P90 guys.

I believe he will have good results. I believe he will gain a ton of weight before hitting camp. I believe his strength will go up on this program also. I am concerned about other things with this program. But like I said he is going to be doing this program when he gets there regardless so starting no is not doing much except having him come in they way they want. I will just add some stuff to try and help.

I've had the exact opposite results with regards to olympic vs traditional weightlifting to be honest. There is no way a stiff athlete can perform cleans with tight hip flexors, rear delts, or wrists. It also develops grip strength, something most traditional lifters seem to overlook big time. Same holds true with squats -- I see a lot of guys putting 405 on the bar and not even getting close to parallel. If an athlete can perform in the cage and perform olympic lifts properly, everything else tends to fall into place. I am 36 and still try to do this stuff but have noticed I can't do them nearly as well as I used to, mainly because I am getting old and stiff.

I see a bunch of these bodybuilder types get their asses kicked in the gym I go to, mainly because they are only used to doing bench, lat pull down, curls and calling it a day. At the end of the day, it's about getting explosive. Will Hicks and company do an excellent job with the se kids and Shy will be in excellent hands. I have some close friends that are in NFL front offices, and they only speak highly of our S and C program. In fact, one of them went so far as to say "we never worry about kids from Syracuse being ready for camp. Hicks always has those kids ready."

It's not the actual lifts I have a problem with. The program includes all the lifts we do anyways.

The point I am trying to make is that Shy is in really, really good hands here. :)