Ole Miss Game Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Ole Miss Game Thread

Bring everybody back and we don't replace White and Gillon. Gillon isn't amazing but he's still a better point guard than we have on next years roster and White is one of the best pure scorers this program has ever seen.

The trouble is we don't have a PG. Gillon is an awful PG, because he's a SG. Frank is probably a SG. G was a SF. Joseph was probably a SG. Who was the last PG that even stepped foot on campus?

Ennis.

We're not done recruiting though.

It's really not worth talking about next year for a few months because there's just so many unknowns at this point.

Have you seen the top 100 list? Think we're on one guy and Jake said don't get your hopes up.

Nobody that we sign from here on out is going to even see the floor. Maybe a 5th year guy but we can count on bad defense from that person.

Have you seen the top 100 list? Think we're on one guy and Jake said don't get your hopes up.

Nobody that we sign from here on out is going to even see the floor. Maybe a 5th year guy but we can count on bad defense from that person.

Did we know we were getting Gillon and White last March?

Did we know we were getting Gillon and White last March?

You expect to find a 20 point a game scorer coming in again? I doubt anybody we get can replace White, probably not Gillon either. And surely whomever comes in is going to suck in the zone too.

well when the players you brought in just don't fit your system you adjust the system not the players.

100% true. JB's extreme stubbornness to play zone and nothing but the zone at all cost is a detriment. I don't know how this can be objectively debated. Wide open looks all day for their shooters and yet again we get torched. 15 or 16 3's today, and none contested. If JB's zone was so genius, why doesn't the rest of college coaches play it 100% of the time? Really, that speaks volumes and for itself.

100% true. JB's extreme stubbornness to play zone and nothing but the zone at all cost is a detriment. I don't know how this can be objectively debated. Wide open looks all day for their shooters and yet again we get torched. 15 or 16 3's today, and none contested.

100%

You expect to find a 20 point a game scorer coming in again? I doubt anybody we get can replace White, probably not Gillon either. And surely whomever comes in is going to suck in the zone too.

This is my concern.

I'm not a "dump the zone" guy, but it is smart to tailor the style to the personnel. Haven't done well with that lately and think it'll be a big problem next year.

Top 100 isn't the end all be all either. Our staff isn't dumb despite people thinking that

Top 100 isn't the end all be all either. Our staff isn't dumb despite people thinking that

Not the end all be all but how many guys have come through here not in the top 100 to make a impact as a freshman?

Can't expect anything..who knows? Who says we need a 20 point per game scorer? Depending on whose back...who knows? If Lydon is back, with Battle and Thompson, then "20 point scorer" isn't really a big need.

Gillon is irreplaceable?

Why will anybody suck in the zone? New player will have things to learn, but there were physical reasons that White and especially Gillon had an extra tough time.

Again...not really worth talking about yet. You can assume we won't get anybody any good and I can assume we'll fill out the roster with a couple quality players...and neither one of us will know if we're right or wrong until the summer.

inflexibility, stubbornness, hubris. not exactly admirable qualities in any leader.

The poor end to the first half ultimately decided the game. Instead of going into the half up double digits and taking Ole Miss out of the game, they only went in up two and Miss had the momentum.

The missed free throws, bunnies at the basket and not boxing out in the second half cost them as well.

Interesting decision by Boeheim to sacrifice defense by keeping Thompson in. Syracuse had no issue scoring. They needed to make stops. The top of the zone was the Achilles heel as it was all year.

Glimpses of what could be were displayed by Frank Howard until the errant floater which got him yanked.

Hard to blame Andrew White for anything today. He had good looks and they didn't fall. He got hot late, but Ole Miss kept making shots.

Disappointing end to a disappointing season.

university will buy him a golden parachute to wear in retirement.

100% true. JB's extreme stubbornness to play zone and nothing but the zone at all cost is a detriment. I don't know how this can be objectively debated. Wide open looks all day for their shooters and yet again we get torched. 15 or 16 3's today, and none contested. If JB's zone was so genius, why doesn't the rest of college coaches play it 100% of the time? Really, that speaks volumes and for itself.

Yup, pure stubbornness or lack of feel for the game. Which would you rather be accused of? Kennedy schooled JB in the second half.

I saw quite a few teams going to zone a few times during these games the past few days to mix it up and change looks. Even UCLA zoned Kent St for a few possessions! It's okay to mix things up! Cannot wait for a change in philosophy.

The poor end to the first half ultimately decided the game. Instead of going into the half up double digits and taking Ole Miss out of the game, they only went in up two and Miss had the momentum.

It was almost comical in a depressing way how often that happened this yr. It's amazing to think if we closed out halfs even slightly mediocre how many of the losses would be wins or at least have given us a real shot at a a W. This team was a momentum team and when the going got tough most of the time packed it in for the most part.

It was almost comical in a depressing way how often that happened this yr. It's amazing to think if we closed out halfs even slightly mediocre how many of the losses would be wins or at least have given us a real shot at a a W. This team was a momentum team and when the going got tough most of the time packed it in for the most part.

Yup. In man would you let the guy shoot a three right in front of you? It's crazy. Battle needed to get up on him still. Gillon half the time never even tried to slide over and guard a three. He IS capable. The way he was moving his feet and defending Kennard on the last play of Duke game proves it.

We are so stupid driving to the rim. At the end of that 1H I can't believe Frank didn't see all the help coming when he got packed badly. Why isn't anybody cutting or sliding over. They all get this tunnel vision to the rim. That's coaching.

Not the end all be all but how many guys have come through here not in the top 100 to make a impact as a freshman?
There's 5th Year transfers and foreign players. We'll see, this staff isn't just playing drinking games and picking players.

There's 5th Year transfers and foreign players. We'll see, this staff isn't just playing drinking games and picking players.

We got two of the best this year and was done the first weekend of the NIT.

Yup. In man would you let the guy shoot a three right in front of you? It's crazy. Battle needed to get up on him still. Gillon half the time never even tried to slide over and guard a three. He IS capable. The way he was moving his feet and defending Kennard on the last play of Duke game proves it.

We are so stupid driving to the rim. At the end of that 1H I can't believe Frank didn't see all the help coming when he got packed badly. Why isn't anybody cutting or sliding over. They all get this tunnel vision to the rim. That's coaching.
Yeah, I hear ya... Most of it comes down to effort. I'm not saying these guys didn't want to win, but wanting to win and hustling/ bringing intensity was often times lacking for extended amounts of times until it was do-or-die, then we magically became a functioning team. Beyond frustrating. The offense was hurt by lack of vision, or freezing players out, or not listening to coach, or just lack of effort... not sure which one but all seemed to be a factor, especially when we couldn't ride the momentum from 3's dropping. Just makes this yr more frustrating to think about when trying to dissect what went wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom