On The Block no more | Syracusefan.com

On The Block no more

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

As someone who does not live in Syracuse, I have to ask: why do a lot of people on this board seem to dislike Axe?
He was great when he got started IMO. In the past few years, I felt his show got lazy. Same segments (how many times are we gonna hear the minute long “H0T Takes” intro). Another pet peeve of mine was he seemed to take the first five minutes of every show telling you how/where you could listen to the show. Something that could’ve been done in ten seconds.

As someone who does not live in Syracuse, I have to ask: why do a lot of people on this board seem to dislike Axe?
I don’t know about most, but I’ve never really been able to take to him.

But, he was passionate about the local sports scene. And we haven’t had a lot of those that have hung around. Maybe that says something in and of itself.

I’ll just never forget the day the sanction news broke and Bob Ley brought Axe on to interview on ESPN as it’s breaking…

Axe leads with being nervous about losing a recruit… (anybody remember who it was?) and Bob Ley’s like, you’re worried about a flicking recruit? Oofa.

Hey, thanks for the run Axe. Best wishes.

Last edited:
I liked Axe. I know I am in a minority here, but I liked and respected what he did, and think this is a big loss for Syracuse sports radio.

I am also deeply unsettled by the knowledge of how the past week went down, what was said across the board, and who owns Galaxy.

I used to be a regular listener of ESPN Syracuse via web. They've now lost my 2 favorite hosts in the last year or so. Probably done.

He was great when he got started IMO. In the past few years, I felt his show got lazy. Same segments (how many times are we gonna hear the minute long “H0T Takes” intro). Another pet peeve of mine was he seemed to take the first five minutes of every show telling you how/where you could listen to the show. Something that could’ve been done in ten seconds.
This 1,000,000%. The best in the radio business get right to business within 30 seconds of going live. One time I counted FIVE MINUTES of him just previewing what was coming up for the afternoon. Just blew my mind.

I enjoyed him many years ago, but found him to be stale and repetitive.

Maybe there is only so much to discuss?

I don't know, but I also felt he tried too hard to be like the ESPN guys, which is why I stopped watching ESPN years ago.

Genuinely can't believe, that with everything available for people to listen to now, they still CHOOSE to listen to sports talk radio.

Just preys on people's anger and breeds awful opinions and narratives that aren't based in reality.

Really not sure how it has survived so long.

This 1,000,000%. The best in the radio business get right to business within 30 seconds of going live. One time I counted FIVE MINUTES of him just previewing what was coming up for the afternoon. Just blew my mind.
I'm not local so I didn't listen regularly, But in the clips I saw on the internet, he did seem to take forever to say something that could have been said in 10 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom