Once Again It's Talent | Syracusefan.com

Once Again It's Talent

OrangePA

Living Legend
We are not playing well right now.

And it's probably a talent issue.

That thought came to mind this morning while I watched ESPN Classic - SU v. Georgetown - 1985 - in the Dome.

The Orange played with Washington, Alexis, Addison, Hawkins, Seikaly, Monroe, Michael Brown, and others.

That was a very talented team - it could score - outside and inside - and it could rebound.

It opened my eyes.

This year's team is just not good enough to truly compete.

I disagree to a point. This isn't as talented a team as last year's team, or 2010, but they're knocking on the doorstep. 2013 Cuse seems to have it lacking in its heads and heart, not necessarily in its hands and feet.

That thought came to mind this morning while I watched ESPN Classic - SU v. Georgetown - 1985 - in the Dome.

The Orange played with Washington, Alexis, Addison, Hawkins, Seikaly, Monroe, Michael Brown, and others.

That was a very talented team - it could score - outside and inside - and it could rebound.

It opened my eyes.

Its easy to get swept up in pessimism given how poorly we've played down the stretch, but I don't agree with your conclusion. This team has plenty of talent, but also has flaws that are difficult to overcome. Namely, the backcourt shoots poorly from three, we don't rebound effectively as a team, and we lack low post scoring.

Plenty of talent, but the whole isn't greater than the sum of the individual parts due to the above. Even so, I agree with Upsate [above] when he suggests that despite those problems, we're still knocking on the door.

It opened my eyes.

you probably shouldn't watch games from 28 years ago to evaluate our chances

College basketball today has a lot less talent than it did in 1985. You can thank all of the early exits from the talented players. In 1985, they had to stay all 4 years unless they won a hardship petition to leave after 3 years. Now, most guys leave if there's even a chance they can get drafted and a lot of guys would rather go play in Europe than stay in school.

Half the teams in the Big East and ACC from 1985 would walk to the Final Four this year.

[edit] Maybe I shouldn't say there's less talent, but the game is played at a lower level than it was back then.

We have talent, we just dont have a Jimmy Chitwood on our team. We have such a poor offensive team that despite the average field this year we are still not winning it all. I dont understand some of the expectations being put on this team. This isnt being negative , its just the reality of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree more with 690. We have some talent but it is taking way too long for it to develop this season offensively. It is March and we barely can do anything against good defensive teams. I can say that we are a talented and good defense. Evidence is there to support. Like Boeheim said in the fantastic presser yesterday; the defense has kept them in games in which they had no business being in. Why is it taking so long for any sort of consistent offense to happen? We don't know how poorly in practice perhaps they are grasping offensive concepts. Some of it is the Big East and the defenses being too physical. Mostly, imo, it's personnel flaws which are obvious to see. Not the quickest guards, no inside play, BAD shooters. Sort of a no brainer. Still, we are in these games. The offense isn't going to really get nicer to watch but if we make some shots we'll win them. I posted a few days ago that Boeheim will be a genius if he can coax some good wins from this team moving forward. No more DePaul's moving forward. Might as well throw away that tape.

College Basketball talent is down as a whole. The 2010/2012 team would be undefeated playing these teams.

Compared to teams around the country, we have a top 10 talent wise team. We just don't make plays when it matters most.

It opened my eyes.

Stick to football. Basketball team has talent, and at the very least three NBA draft picks on its roster right now.

when u lose a close game and u have 4 entry passes stolen in the second half, it's not talent but rather a lack of sound coaching

when u lose a close game and u have 4 entry passes stolen in the second half, it's not talent but rather a lack of sound coaching
oh i thought that was because of the weather outside.

Stick to football. Basketball team has talent, and at the very least three NBA draft picks on its roster right now.

I actually wrote this down and stashed it. Way to early to make a bold and frankly bizarre call. MCW is the only lock to me and I love CJ but don't think he is NBA material. Too early to tell for Grant/DC2. If it happens I will certainly man up and give props to you.

I actually wrote this down and stashed it. Way to early to make a bold and frankly bizarre call. MCW is the only lock to me and I love CJ but don't think he is NBA material. Too early to tell for Grant/DC2. If it happens I will certainly man up and give props to you.

CJ, Rakeem, Grant, Coleman all have chances to go in at least the second round.

I agree that if we had no talent we'd be certain that all seven non-senior scholarship players would be on next year's team. Instead, it's nearly certain that they all won't.

But it's quite a grind trying to win games against good teams with no inside scoring and little outside scoring.

CJ, Rakeem, Grant, Coleman all have chances to go in at least the second round.

Maybe. NBA won't touch Rak if he dosn't show some kind of motor. He should watch tape of that Farried. Like I said, I'll man up if you're right.

We have talent, we just dont have a Jimmy Chitwood on our team. We have such a poor offensive team that despite the average field this year we are still not winning it all. I dont understand some of the expectations being put on this team. This isnt being negative , its just the reality of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I played Jimmy Chitwood one on one back in the day. We measured the baskets and they were 10 feet high and then we got to it. I shut that kid down. He kept on calling plays, it was hilarious. I was like "Jimmy, there aint no picket fence to hide behind here!!!" Orangefog 11 Jimmy Chitwood 3.

you probably shouldn't watch games from 28 years ago to evaluate our chances

I guess you missed the point.

I watched the game to see the Pearl play again - in what was a big game in 1985.

That was fun.

While I watched I realized what we have right now on the Hill.

We don't have a Pearl. We don't have a Rony Seikaly. We don't have a Rafael Addison.

We just aren't good enough. We have no presence in the middle, we can't shoot and we don't create good shots in the first place.

Watching other talented teams gives perspective.

Really.

Who?

Where are we at center?

Where are we at power forward?

Where are we at shooting guard?

Do you remember Bill Case or Ernie Austin or Ken Harper?

Its easy to get swept up in pessimism given how poorly we've played down the stretch, but I don't agree with your conclusion. This team has plenty of talent, but also has flaws that are difficult to overcome. Namely, the backcourt shoots poorly from three, we don't rebound effectively as a team, and we lack low post scoring.

Plenty of talent, but the whole isn't greater than the sum of the individual parts due to the above. Even so, I agree with Upsate [above] when he suggests that despite those problems, we're still knocking on the door.

You got it!

We can't shoot.

We can't rebound.

We can't score down low.

Exactly. It's not coaching. We just don't have enough talent.

We are a competitive team. But we are not an NCAA contender.

You got it!

We can't shoot.

We can't rebound.

We can't score down low.

Words mean things, OPA. This team has plenty of talent, including three McDonald's all americans. To suggest otherwise is beyond ridiculous.

Now, said talent might not be perfectly complimentary. And the team may have collective weaknesses in specific areas that ultimately undermine the team's potential. But the team has talent in abundance.

If you want to claim that we aren't a contender--that's fine. I'm inclined to agree. But I don't buy the perspective that the reason for this is that the team lacks talent.

You got it!

We can't shoot.

We can't rebound.

We can't score down low.

Sure we are a contender. Watch as much basketball as I do on a nightly basis and you will see that every team has major flaws. Its not just us.

Sure we are a contender. Watch as much basketball as I do on a nightly basis and you will see that every team has major flaws. Its not just us.
I agree. There are a number of teams that I have watched this year and I just thought that they looked too good to beat. Then I see them again and they look very beatable. It is going to come down to which team, out of about 20, can get hot and play well for 6 games.

I agree. There are a number of teams that I have watched this year and I just thought that they looked too good to beat. Then I see them again and they look very beatable. It is going to come down to which team, out of about 20, can get hot and play well for 6 games.

I mean Kansas who is pegged at a one seed lost to TCU (which was the equivalent of losing to a 16 seed). Michigan who whas been in the top 5 most of the year lost to an 0-14 Penn State team. Every team has some type of issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom