One and Done going away? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One and Done going away?

If the players don’t need the schools then why are going there now?I haven’t got a clue about contracts, but couldn’t the schools have something in the contract where they would be compensated from the individuals that break the contract?

There could be buyouts but a hundred schools are competing against each other for top talent. In practice, those buyouts would be tiny or nonexistent. On top of that, it’s not uncommon for these kids to be under 18 when making their commitments.

I’m referring specifically to the 4 and 5 star, coveted recruits.

From a PR standpoint, I’m not sure any schools would want to sign up for the nightmare of forcing a buyout clause on a talented player.

That doesn’t seem quite apples-to-apples to me. One is a national security necessity, the other is kids running up and down a court to entertain people.
It’s the same to me, you sign a contract and uphold your end. Different world we live in.
Don’t like the contract then go find another league to play in. Not ever going to happen in this day and age but that’s my solution to the mess college sports have become.

It’s the same to me, you sign a contract and uphold your end. Different world we live in.
Don’t like the contract then go find another league to play in. Not ever going to happen in this day and age but that’s my solution to the mess college sports have become.
But what happens if say after a year, a college athlete simply doesn’t have the ability to cut it academically, but they have the skills to play professionally?

But what happens if say after a year, a college athlete simply doesn’t have the ability to cut it academically, but they have the skills to play professionally?
As long as the kid is making an effort and showing up for class and doing his work I’m sure something could be worked out.
Ain’t ever going to happen but just my two cents.

I'm not calling for anything. It was a story about the NBA changing its policy. Players have to abide by what rules their prospective pro league institutes.
Then why’d you go with the un American angle in the first place?

And also shown that they can be epic fails and totally not up to the challenge.

It’s less about the players - and more about saving stupid owners from themselves.
Guys that played multiple years in college are epic fails and not up to the challenge.

:shrugs:

images

Yeah those contracts ain't the same.

Guys that played multiple years in college are epic fails and not up to the challenge.

:shrugs:

Huh?

I was talking about guys getting drafted straight outta HS, back when that was still a thing.

aka - zero years of college.

And then failing in the NBA.

The rule change disallowing NBA drafting of HS kids was to stop stupid owners from being stupid, in very expensive and franchise-ruining ways.

It was NOT about the players.
Or them getting “an education”.

Huh?

I was talking about guys getting drafted straight outta HS, back when that was still a thing.

aka - zero years of college.

The rule change disallowing NBA drafting of HS kids was to stop stupid owners from being stupid, in very expensive and franchise-ruining ways.

It was NOT about the players.
Or them getting “an education”.
Right.

So instead of drafting highschool players that flamed out, they drafted guys that spent more years in college... that flamed out.

Guys flame out in the NBA. It's a brutal league. The right combo of talent + environment+ opportunity has to exist, and even then there's no guarantee.

Plus, the league is different now than it was then. The G league has made a ton of strides and gotten a whole lot better at development. Two way contracts are really valuable for franchises now.

If ever the NBA is equipped to bring in players right after highschool and have them succeed, the time is now.

Good, get rid of NIL for hoops. No one is forcing you to go to college, you have an instant path to a payday.

Move Weitsman's extra $1M to football. $100k to 20 recruits.

Everyone wins.

And also shown that they can be epic fails and totally not up to the challenge.

It’s less about the players - and more about saving stupid owners from themselves.
Force them into college for a year so you can save the expenses of development.

The professionalization of college football and basketball to be pro development leagues is super dumb. Just split the those off as athletic academies like the rest of the world does and be done with it.

That doesn’t seem quite apples-to-apples to me. One is a national security necessity, the other is kids running up and down a court to entertain people.
and quite possibly making a ton of money for the university. Private Jones is not generating income for the US Army.

Personally, I'd like to see a rule where a kid can either enter the draft direct from HS, or he has to make at least two year commitment to college.

None & Done, or Two and Done should be the only options.

They've got to put teeth into the rule about not being able to play for the team that drafted you coming out of HS. Make them go to a foreign league by forbidding them to sign with an NBA team if they leave school before they turn 21..

Why would the NBAPA agree to that?
Better job security for their present members. A lot of writers wondered why they agreed to it in the first place. "One and done" was the owners plea to the players to "keep us from drafting another Kwame Brown". There will not be very many players drafted directly from HS because the owners theoretically learned their lesson. This delays entry of new blood and keeps opportunities for present players.

No. Un-American in the lack of free-choice. If a kid wants to play-in/experience college basketball for 1 year; then, move on the the Pros, they should have that choice.
The European leagues are over that way. ---------->

Plus, many professions control the entry age for their workers. For example, most law enforcement agencies require waiting until you're 21 to apply.

As I said in another post, the European leagues are over that way. ------->

Better job security for their present members. A lot of writers wondered why they agreed to it in the first place. "One and done" was the owners plea to the players to "keep us from drafting another Kwame Brown". There will not be very many players drafted directly from HS because the owners theoretically learned their lesson. This delays entry of new blood and keeps opportunities for present players.
The players want to get rid of the one and done and based on the reasons behind that, I don't believe that they would be open to a Two and Done

Last edited:
Maybe the NCAA should allow kids, even hs kids who enter the draft, the option to go to college to play ball if they don't like how things go trying for the NBA. Heck kids can decommit from 1 school to go to another why not "decommit" from going pro.

Maybe the NCAA should allow kids, even hs kids who enter the draft, the option to go to college to play ball if they don't like how things go trying for the NBA. Heck kids can decommit from 1 school to go to another why not "decommit" from going pro.
The big delineator in the past was hiring an agent. If you didn't hire one you could withdraw your name from the NBA draft and come back to school. I've never heard of a process of entering your name into the baseball draft: AFIK they just pick you as their choice. The people like Danny Kanell, who played minor league baseball and went to college for football, didn't have an agent and negotiated for themselves. IDK if that has changed with the advent of NIL.

Personally, I'd like to see a rule where a kid can either enter the draft direct from HS, or he has to make at least two year commitment to college.

None & Done, or Two and Done should be the only options.
I've never been in favor of this. If the kid wants to jump after one year, so be it.