One Former Player | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One Former Player

Never saw Brown play, so I’m eliminating him as an option. Of the players I’ve seen play since 1977 or so, nobody impacted a game like Freeney. It would be him in my book. McNabb was great, but he never won 10 games. Freeney did with RJ freaking Anderson at QB.

I think the "right" answer is Dwight Freeney. I've never seen a single player impact the entire team / season like he did in 2001.

Plus, our pass rush is relatively average, so he's change that instantly. Plug him into this defense, with the other components we have, and it would be a top 5 caliber national defense.

Putting Harrison opposite OG is tempting, too. With Shrader's cannon, the offense would be very difficult to defend, and defenses would have difficulty trying to guard them both, which would enable us to have a field day running the ball.
I'm down with this. As solid as I think our DLine is, Freeney would take it up three notches.

Never saw Brown play, so I’m eliminating him as an option. Of the players I’ve seen play since 1977 or so, nobody impacted a game like Freeney. It would be him in my book. McNabb was great, but he never won 10 games. Freeney did with RJ freaking Anderson at QB.
10 wins and we played Tennessee, Ga Tech and Auburn in the OOC, not to mention one of the greatest teams of all time in Miami, a Top 5 Va Tech team and a Top 25 BC. Brutal schedule, Robin J running the offense, it just shows what a one man wrecking crew he was to help will us to 10-3

10 wins and we played Tennessee, Ga Tech and Auburn in the OOC, not to mention one of the greatest teams of all time in Miami, a Top 5 Va Tech team and a Top 25 BC. Brutal schedule, Robin J running the offense, it just shows what a one man wrecking crew he was to help will us to 10-3
Can you imagine Freeney against these pass happy offenses? How much time would QB's have? He would make the linebackers and secondary even better, not to mention the rest of the DLine. Wow, it has to be Freeney. Thinking about it is even better than mango from Joe's Fruit Shop.

Who was the coach of that team? ;-)

I was four years old in 2001 so I have no recollection of Freeney. Just went down a bit of a rabbit hole.

Syracuse Football played in three bowl games from when I started Kindergarten until I graduated high school. My first memory of fandom is actually watching us get our ass kicked in the Champs Sports Bowl in 2004. How funny is that?

So if anyone ever questions my fandom I learned to love Syracuse football at their lowest point ever, went to undergrad someplace else, and still live and die on every single snap, every single season.

Wouldn’t change a thing but sometimes I think it’d be nice if my mom had me while she was in law school at a SEC school.

Last edited:
Man this is tough. I wanna say McNabb because he may be the best QB we've ever had. But we're solid at QB. A WR makes sense. I'm a little surprised nobody has said Rob Moore. I get that Harrison is an NFL HOFer, but Moore was such a beast in college. It's hard not to say Freeney because I've never seen a defensive player carry a team the way he did. A 10 win team that averaged nearly 30 fewer ypg on offense than our opponents. Has anyone else ever done that? I would also have to consider Tebucky Jones or Donovan Darius. People seem to think we've got good pieces on DL and LB and we were hurt the most by transfers in the secondary. One of them would bring something to the secondary we haven't had since they were both drafted in the first round. But maybe I'd have to go RB. I get that Jim Brown was the GOAT, but maybe Ernie Davis ends up being the GOAT if given the chance... and he played in the secondary too. That's it, Davis it is, and I just bolstered two position groups.

My heart says Dungey all day long

It's got to be Jim Brown
It is interesting that there are probably 20 players that if one was added to this team we would win 9-10 games.
Goat, Davis, Little, McNabb, Donny Mac, Freeney, Mackey, Pugh, Jones, Graves, Csonka, Morris, Harrison, Williams, Phillips, Ishmael, Etta-Tawo, Lemon, Reyes, Monk, Green. Any one of these would do the trick. (My apologies to the many I have omitted.)

That said, we don't need a QB or #1 receiver and I think the D is good enough. So, I have to go with the Goat. Only saw him on TV but he was like Csonka - 3rd and 3 and the whole planet knew who was getting the ball and it didn't matter. Difference was Brown was a big yardage threat every time he touched the ball.

For defense it has to be Freeney.

GS may wind up having his best year and if he does, this team can beat anyone in the ACC.
Go Cuse!

It is interesting that there are probably 20 players that if one was added to this team we would win 9-10 games.
Goat, Davis, Little, McNabb, Donny Mac, Freeney, Mackey, Pugh, Jones, Graves, Csonka, Morris, Harrison, Williams, Phillips, Ishmael, Etta-Tawo, Lemon, Reyes, Monk, Green. Any one of these would do the trick. (My apologies to the many I have omitted.)

That said, we don't need a QB or #1 receiver and I think the D is good enough. So, I have to go with the Goat. Only saw him on TV but he was like Csonka - 3rd and 3 and the whole planet knew who was getting the ball and it didn't matter. Difference was Brown was a big yardage threat every time he touched the ball.

For defense it has to be Freeney.

GS may wind up having his best year and if he does, this team can beat anyone in the ACC.
Go Cuse!
I would offer offer Ted Gregory for consideration. Guy was a beast in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom