One Former Player | Syracusefan.com

One Former Player

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
IMG_4097.jpeg
Jim Brown? Ernie or Floyd? Freeney? McNabb?

Discuss

So hard to translate someone like Jim Brown onto the 2023 Syracuse Orange… so I’m going with Freeney

It's Donovan McNabb or Jim Brown, pretty easily. Offense offense offense. Game breakers.

I think it comes down to McNabb or Brown. I'm to young to have seen Brown play live, so I'd lean McNabb. For as great as his legs were McNabb had an even better arm which allowed him a long NFL career. With our current weapons I'd let him play for 1 year as long as shrader was granted a red shirt and could come back in 2024 because I think he's the best QB we've had since Nassib.

Joke answer: Barry Baker, if he's on scholarship.

Real answer: Considering what we have on the roster and where we look weakest, I'm going to get controversial here and add versatile and elite offensive lineman John Flannery. The Center position is now rock freaking solid.

I've never seen a more dominant player on The Hill than Dwight Freeney. He'd be my choice. A guy that opposing offensive coaches have to build their entire gameplan around impacts the game so much. While offensive weapons are king, a disruptive pass rush can win football games, especially when you consider this offense should be much, much better than the 2001 Syracuse team that Freeney willed to 10 wins.

I think the "right" answer is Dwight Freeney. I've never seen a single player impact the entire team / season like he did in 2001.

Plus, our pass rush is relatively average, so he's change that instantly. Plug him into this defense, with the other components we have, and it would be a top 5 caliber national defense.

Putting Harrison opposite OG is tempting, too. With Shrader's cannon, the offense would be very difficult to defend, and defenses would have difficulty trying to guard them both, which would enable us to have a field day running the ball.

QB is the most important position by a country mile.

McNabb. His presence raises the ceiling of the team more than anyone bc he’s in control every play.

My classmate, Csonka!

Interesting story from last weekend: I sit at the bar of a local pizza restaurant in Buffalo to have a beer and order takeout. Ask an old guy if anyone's sitting in the seat next to him. He says "no, but you gotta be willing to have a conversation if you want to sit there." So I said sure thing. Eventually the conversation turned to football and when I told him I was a Syracuse fan and season ticket holder he lit up. He said "my old high school teammate was the quarterback of Syracuse in the 60's...Rick Cassata. His backfield was Larry Csonka, Floyd Little and Tom Coughlin. Imagine that? I still tune in to Syracuse games today because of him."

He went on to say that Rick owned the Sawyer Creek Hotel in North Tonawanda, which is a bit of a dive bar but a cool spot with great food. I've been a number of times and always wondered why there was a little SU helmet on a stick in the parking lot. I guess that explains it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom