One of the first games I have been able to watch | Syracusefan.com

One of the first games I have been able to watch

FireballPhil

2nd String
Yes it is winding down in the season, but due to working second shift I am unable to watch many games. Add to that I don't have cable-why pay for something you don't watch very much- the amount of games I can watch narrows even more.

This game isn't over yet, but man do we look bad. For those who are going to blame the zone, you are insane. Our defense is absolutely not the problem. Offense is 100% our problem. Why is this? Because we have absolutely no inside game and we don't even attempt it most times. It becomes very easy for the opposing defense to just play out and play the passing lanes. A great majority of our turnovers are because we never ever throw it in and out but simply side to side and wala, a tipped pass, a steal, or a contested shot that is missed and they automatically get the rebound because where are our centers? Out trying to set a useless pick because all the defensive players are out there and switching is easy. It is no wonder everyone is down on Frank, but from what I see what can he possibly do if there is no where to go with the ball?

Some are going to say it is the ref's fault but this game wasn't horribly called. Sure there are always going to be some bad calls,and indeed there were definitely a few of them, but the majority of our fouls seem to be frustration fouls. Although Franks last "foul: was just a horrible call. How do you call a foul when the defender steals the ball off a bad pass and their arms are tangled? Frank was just trying to keep control of the ball.

Because the opponents are packing outside, a dribble penetration seems as if they are automatically dribbling into a double team. Not only do they have to pull back or pass out of it, they have four arms defending the pass instead of two. Dol is such a great passer I don't understand why the staff hasn't figured out how to run some plays through him. I get that we don't have very good interior players, but we do have some very good workable pieces. Our offense has to become more than just throw the ball around and chuck up a shot.

There is zero NBA level talent on this team. Tyus came back to improve his stock, but I see regression not progress. I understand his struggles are in large part due to his lack of quality teammates, but the majority of the team is very good and his decision making is poor. Brissett has also seemed to regress-to the point he should be replaced by Braswell and we will still struggle but we will get him more ready for next year.. In fact the only one who hasn't seemingly regressed is Dol. Yes injuries have hurt us, but not to this extent. Tyus may be asked to do a lot, but it is nothing compared to what he will be asked to do in the NBA. So if he can't handle it here, he sure won't be able to handle it there.

As I finish this, we just lost the game. A putrid display, or perhaps a different view point- a great example of why you need good interior players, not just shooters. Today's two best players were Dol and Buddy. Buddy is definitely improving, I was impressed with his ability to drive to the basket a few different times, in large part because no one expects him to and he takes advantage of that fact. Sidbe did okay when he was in there, but he needs more time, more reps, to get back to decent form. He has potential.

I seriously hope the staff will set some plays for Dol down low and use his passing skills to our advantage. But if they haven't done it by now they probably won't. If we go in an 8/9 game we will probably lose, because that team will be good enough to do what Clemson just did to us today.

I am usually not this pessimistic, and I apologize for seeming like a downer, but the play of this team on offense is absolutely horrid. There is no way else to describe it. If they can get some focus on it though, the rest is there and we can win a few more games, we could even win the NC this year. But if we don't change our offense even a little bit, we are an early out. So coaches please, please, please focus. Please fix this because it can be fixed. Not completely because we don't have centers capable of making us the perfect team. And at least one forward who is not helping things at all. But there is still time. Still changes that can be made. It has been done in the past, and can still be done again.

I am so sorry for you if that’s the game you watched

s1zkyxf.gif

i will not disagree that the problem is more on the o side of the ball, but how can u say that our d is not a problem. thomas and reed shredded us in the second half, and pray tell exactly how did we adjust as the game got more and more away from us?

i will not disagree that the problem is more on the o side of the ball, but how can u say that our d is not a problem. thomas and reed shredded us in the second half, and pray tell exactly how did we adjust as the game got more and more away from us?

The problems on D are the same as O, mainly down low. They are constantly out of position, partly because they are simply getting outmuscled. But what are our options? We don't have any. So how can anyone expect major change on the D side when we are incapable of it? We are good enough on D to win most every game, but offensively we are in the toilet. Let's get a real big or two in here and then we can and will see the changes everyone desires. I think the staff knows this as well, based on their comment on they are still going after a big. Make it two and have Buddy go via employee instead of scholarship.

The problems on D are the same as O, mainly down low. They are constantly out of position, partly because they are simply getting outmuscled. But what are our options? We don't have any. So how can anyone expect major change on the D side when we are incapable of it? We are good enough on D to win most every game, but offensively we are in the toilet. Let's get a real big or two in here and then we can and will see the changes everyone desires. I think the staff knows this as well, based on their comment on they are still going after a big. Make it two and have Buddy go via employee instead of scholarship.
too many good three point shooters out there. our rotations are too often missed or slow. the elephant in the room issue is the 100% commitment to the zone. sometimes you just have to change the look to take foes out of their rhythm. opponents know exactly how to adjust, so that is why we stink in the second half.

imho, lack of team speed is a generic problem, as much as lack of a pg or a center.

Last edited:
too many good three point shooters out there. our rotations are too often missed or slow. the elephant in the room issue is the 100% commitment to the zone. sometimes you just have to change the look to take foes out of their rhythm. opponents know exactly how to adjust, so that is why we stink in the second half.

imho, lack of team speed is a generic problem, as much as lack of a pg or a center.

How many teams do you see come out of m2m when they are getting beat? Not to many. And if they do it isn't for very long because they find themselves usually in a worse position than if they would have just stayed in their base defense to begin with. I think throwing out different looks once a while is good, but you can't get an elite defense by playing to many different ones and expecting your guys to just be good at it.

The ability to shoot from long range affects every defense. Even m2m teams are susceptible to the long ball. NBA teams score over 100 points per game and they have the best players in the world. So if they can't shut down an offense that is just clicking, how do you expect our defense to do it simply by switching defense?

I get that everyone is frustrated with this team, they are capable of so much more. Based on last years final results we all expected so much more but didn't see it come to fruition. I was appalled at what I saw yesterday. It wasn't Clemson's adjustments. They didn't score 100 points. It was our lack of forming any sense of cohesive offense that lost this game. Any form of offense in the second half would have easily beaten the team. Defense doesn't score the ball. Our defense kept the game within reach. Could both be better? Sure, but this is 99% offensive woes.

The D certainly is a factor if it contributes to limiting the recruit pool. Different/better recruits might be better on offense. The D also dictates the pace at which we play, which also affects offense. Just because they happen on opposite ends of the court doesn’t mean they’re isolated against affecting each other. We have an overall team scheme, and it’s all interrelated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom