One of the most underrated teams in SU History IMO | Syracusefan.com

One of the most underrated teams in SU History IMO

I found and watched that video a year or two ago. Great stuff!!

I remember watching that game live and being really hyped up leading up to that game. Definitely a really good Cuse team. We had all 5 starters back - though one of them(Griff) got displaced by another returner who was a more natural SG(Bland), a returning Soph Shumpert grew into a great 6th man, and we added freshman Deshaun who could and would fill it up with no conscience when given the chance. Really good and experienced team. 3 senior starters - one of them a 5th year guy and the other two both spent roughly a decade in the NBA.

You’d never see a team where none of the starting 5 were a deadeye shooter, and that in effect started two PFs and a center now though. And that’s not a change for the better IMO.

-Deshaun hitting the 3 and bumping into Calhoun and shaking his head, followed by hitting another 3 the next time down the court was one of my favorite moments. Loved that guy as a freshman.

-One of the better court stormings you’ll ever see. Imagine having a student section like that now? Lol.

We need to get back to playing big again. A stretch 4 instead of a traditional 4 is fine, but we need size at every position and size coming off the bench.

Personally I would prefer to shoot 20 3s or less a game and have solid post play.

We need to get back to playing big again. A stretch 4 instead of a traditional 4 is fine, but we need size at every position and size coming off the bench.

Personally I would prefer to shoot 20 3s or less a game and have solid post play.

That team was big AND athletic. I miss it. Some of our recent teams were big...but our PG was slow and our C couldn’t walk and chew gum.

Hart was possibly the fastest PG we’ve ever had...almost certainly the fastest over 6 ft. And Etan was a stud athlete for a center. Brown was a 6’9 stud athlete too. We used to always have guys like that.

Damn sanctions eliminated our ability to run the fast break!

lol. We’ve actually kinda been running this year. More than recent years at least. Girard at least looks for it, and Marek looks to push it himself way more often now. If only we had some 6’5-6’9 athletes to fill the lanes and finish with dunks...

lol. We’ve actually kinda been running this year. More than recent years at least. Girard at least looks for it, and Marek looks to push it himself way more often now. If only we had some 6’5-6’9 athletes to fill the lanes and finish with dunks...
We are not getting turnovers in the zone, that fuels our transition game. That and long misses

That team was really good. We got hosed having to play Michigan State in their home state in the Sweet 16.

Yup. We easily beat Wisconsin, who made the final four. We were better than UNC. And I think we were a little better than Florida too. We could’ve went a lot deeper with a different seed. 4 seed was too low too.

That team was big AND athletic. I miss it. Some of our recent teams were big...but our PG was slow and our C couldn’t walk and chew gum.

Hart was possibly the fastest PG we’ve ever had...almost certainly the fastest over 6 ft. And Etan was a stud athlete for a center. Brown was a 6’9 stud athlete too. We used to always have guys like that.
Eddie Moss was faster than Hart and probably an even better defensive player; he often gets lost in discussions of great SU point guards, but should not. Jimmy Williams was likely the quickest of all SU guards going end to end with the ball in his hands.

Last edited:
anyone notice what D they were playing? (hint, it wasn't zone)

There's very few power 5 teams that take less than 20 3's per game anymore. Kentucky is one of them, but they definitely have no shooting. This is what I was getting at in the other thread when posters complained cbb isn't as good. Guys who used to play in the post play entirely on the perimeter now, 4's and a lot of 5's included. People don't like it, but most post play is dead.

We got hosed having to play Michigan State in their home state in the Sweet 16.

That was their reward for being the #1 seed. If SU was a #1 seed and we were lucky enough to have the regional that year in Buffalo or MSG, would any SU fan apologize about it? No way. You earned it.

That was their reward for being the #1 seed. If SU was a #1 seed and we were lucky enough to have the regional that year in Buffalo or MSG, would any SU fan apologize about it? No way. You earned it.

True but back then they were really not supposed to do that. Now they blatantly try and keep higher seeds close to home. They did put us in the Dome for the first two rounds in 1987 and I don’t recall complaining so your point is valid!

True but back then they were really not supposed to do that. Now they blatantly try and keep higher seeds close to home. They did put us in the Dome for the first two rounds in 1987 and I don’t recall complaining so your point is valid!

Honestly, if anyone should be furious, it would be Oklahoma in 2003 as a #1 having to go into a Lions Den in Albany to face a #3 seed and deal with a literal away game when they were the higher seed.

anyone notice what D they were playing? (hint, it wasn't zone)
Except when it mattered in the Sweet 16 game, when we never got out of the zone and MSU lit us up with 3 after 3. Worst part about that loss was Slick Rick on the broadcast saying "get out of the zone Jimmy, get out of the zone!"

-Deshaun hitting the 3 and bumping into Calhoun and shaking his head, followed by hitting another 3 the next time down the court was one of my favorite moments. Loved that guy as a freshman.

-One of the better court stormings you’ll ever see. Imagine having a student section like that now? Lol.
One of the better one's for sure, but for my money nothing will ever touch Pitt 2003.

Great game but the 1999-2000 team is not in anyway underrated. Great team that killed itself by laying an egg at MSG

BTW if you really want to make yourself mad take a look at the 2000 NCAAT bracket.

Trust me, people on this board complained about the student section back then.

And I guarantee there was much hand-wringing and tsk-tsking about that court storming. "It's UConn, they're not in our echelon, it was a blow out, and they've never even been to a Final Fourrrrrr!!!"

Bashing students is one of the immortal board topics.

Great game but the 1999-2000 team is not in anyway underrated. Great team that killed itself by laying an egg at MSG

BTW if you really want to make yourself mad take a look at the 2000 NCAAT bracket.

That and they were blown out by UConn the previous weekend. Went from a possible 1 seed to a 4 in the span of 5 days.

There's very few power 5 teams that take less than 20 3's per game anymore. Kentucky is one of them, but they definitely have no shooting. This is what I was getting at in the other thread when posters complained cbb isn't as good. Guys who used to play in the post play entirely on the perimeter now, 4's and a lot of 5's included. People don't like it, but most post play is dead.
The problems with shooting too many 3s

1) It is hard to get to the foul line because 3pt shooters are rarely fouled.

2) It is hard to get the opponents best players in foul trouble.

3) Long misses lead to transition opportunities for opponents.
(Beating the zone down the court is the best way to defeat it)

4) Players who can't shoot 3's don't need to be guarded leading to 3 vs 5 offenses

5) 20 shot attempts is really based on 60 over all positions. I.E. no more than 1/3 of shot attempts should be from 3 IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom