One of the most underrated teams in SU History IMO | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

One of the most underrated teams in SU History IMO

Meh we stopped scoring too. Offense was smothered.
It's because we did nothing to change the momentum. We needed to regain our footing by getting some stops. Everyone on the planet knew we had to get out of the zone.

We need more Tyler Lydon types. Get someone like that to play the 4 and a rim protecting center and we will be fine. The days of playing Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku together are over.
LOL! we can win with size who can shoot, but Rick and AO would dominate today. The opponent's front-line would foul out by half time.

BTW the 6'9" athletic shooter is one and done in today's basketball. We are not bringing in 1 or 2 those guys a year.

LOL! we can win with size who can shoot, but Rick and AO would dominate today. The opponent's front-line would foul out by half time.

BTW the 6'9" athletic shooter is one and done in today's basketball. We are not bringing in 1 or 2 those guys a year.

Then why does virtually nobody play like this anymore? Heck even UNC shoots a crap load of 3’s now.

Then why does virtually nobody play like this anymore? Heck even UNC shoots a crap load of 3’s now.
Kids want to go Pro so what the NBA does dictates what the most talented kids focus on.

But the Lakers are playing big with 2 7-Footer and Lebron on the court at the same time.

Philly is also playing big.

It not the same post play as back in the 90s, but the rockets style is falling out a favor and without Steph and Klay Golden State's system doesn't work.

Kids want to go Pro so what the NBA does dictates what the most talented kids focus on.

But the Lakers are playing big with 2 7-Footer and Lebron on the court at the same time.

It not the same post play as back in the 90s, but the rockets style is falling out a favor and without Steph and Klay Golden State's system doesn't work.

If every team had access to Anthony Davis and lebron, they’d play big .. those humans are in short supply so they use smaller humans

If every team had access to Anthony Davis and lebron, they’d play big .. those humans are in short supply so they use smaller humans
Correct. Personnel dictates style of play. If you recruit to one style of play you can't play another as well.

If we want to shoot 30s 3s a game and play zone we need a bunch of one and done's every year.

I believe you have to. If you can't shoot these days you won't be good.

And believe it or not we have a better offensive rating than them this year. The reason they are better than us is mostly related to defense. Also I can we can pretty much guarantee that UW's lack of shooting is what is going to have them closer to the bubble than they should be.
This year's offense was always going to be reliant on volume 3-point shooting from Hughes and Boeheim. Once Carey went down, and Guerrier and Goodine proved slow to develop as consistent offensive threats, Girard entered the mix as a third volume 3-point guy.

I'm not sure how this team could compete if JB insisted on foregoing the deep ball for more 2-point attempts. Where would the points come from? I'm fine with Hughes, Boeheim and Girard collectively launching 30+ threes per game this season. They can all shoot it.

This year's offense was always going to be reliant on volume 3-point shooting from Hughes and Boeheim. Once Carey went down, and Guerrier and Goodine proved slow to develop as consistent offensive threats, Girard entered the mix as a third volume 3-point guy.

I'm not sure how this team could compete if JB insisted on foregoing the deep ball for more 2-point attempts. Where would the points come from? I'm fine with Hughes, Boeheim and Girard collectively launching 30+ threes per game this season. They can all shoot it.
It's not just this year Brissett shot wayyy too many 3s last year.

I agree we are where we are now, but JG3 needs to develop a floater, Marek and Guerrier need to be able to score in the mid-range.

Marek can and needs to shoot more, Guerrier should be practicing more 15-footers and 3s.

We are too easy to guard without a more diverse offense.

It's not just this year Brissett shot wayyy too many 3s last year.

I agree we are where we are now, but JG3 needs to develop a floater, Marek and Guerrier need to be able to score in the mid-range.

Marek can and needs to shoot more, Guerrier should be practicing more 15-footers and 3s.

We are too easy to guard without a more diverse offense.

Mid range shots are terrible. See Tyus Battle. He shot about 38% from there.

Mid range shots are terrible. See Tyus Battle. He shot about 38% from there.
Not if the alternative is 10% from 3. Mid-range shots lead to more offensive rebounds and allow a team to get back on defense. (floor balance)

Not if the alternative is 10% from 3. Mid-range shots lead to more offensive rebounds and allow a team to get back on defense. (floor balance)
And I'm assuming you are talking about 10-15 footers, and not the 18 -19 footers that Battle seemed to love.

anyone notice what D they were playing? (hint, it wasn't zone)
Actually, it was. But Jason and especially Deshaun extended way out and pressured the ball all night.

it was a super active zone. I remember that game like it was yesterday. The ball pressure really disrupted UConn...took them out of their offense all night long.

Might have played a couple of m2m possessions, but it was the most active zone I’ve ever seen.

I understand the trend, but it doesn't work with our system.

Mike's team in Washington is shooting around a 1/3 of their shots from 3, less when you factor in the foul line.

We don't have to follow the trend...
You sound like Les Miles discussing the forward pass while at LSU

Look what happened when Eddie adopted it

You sound like Les Miles discussing the forward pass while at LSU

Look what happened when Eddie adopted it
I'll be the "get off my lawn guy" if we 12-1 or 11-2, I would be drinking to kool-aid too.

But we are shooting more 3s than the 2010 team with Andy, Wes, and Brandon.

The 2010 team averaged 17.8 attempts from 3 per game and shot 39.1%.

It was because we had Ricky and AO in the post producing quality looks from outside.

The Celtics play a lineup at times with every player on the floor under 6' 7" and just take a ton of threes.

Our offense is the only reason we're not 5-8 this year, I'm confused with your argument.

The Celtics play a lineup at times with every player on the floor under 6' 7" and just take a ton of threes.

Our offense is the only reason we're not 5-8 this year, I'm confused with your argument.
But they can ALL shoot 3s and they can ALL drive the ball, and EVERY ONE has to be guarded.

We are playing 3 on 5 where the defense can pack the lane with 2 guys and pressure up on our 3 shooters.

Last edited:
Actually, it was. But Jason and especially Deshaun extended way out and pressured the ball all night.

it was a super active zone. I remember that game like it was yesterday. The ball pressure really disrupted UConn...took them out of their offense all night long.

Might have played a couple of m2m possessions, but it was the most active zone I’ve ever seen.
It was a mix .. it was certainly not exclusively zone .. it is hard to tell from this video because they show so little of UConn’s offense other than turnovers

True but back then they were really not supposed to do that. Now they blatantly try and keep higher seeds close to home. They did put us in the Dome for the first two rounds in 1987 and I don’t recall complaining so your point is valid!

I’ll say that it was weird that the paint/top of key area at Auburn Hills was green and black...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom