One thing for Saturday vs RI | Syracusefan.com

One thing for Saturday vs RI

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Can we please come out and handle this team and have a comfortable lead by halftime. The last two years versus a 1AA we have looked pretty crappy in the first half. Two years ago we trailed at half and last year we were a miraculous TD catch from our 2nd string TE away from trailing at half again. It would be nice to get the starters out early and get some of the young guys some experience in a live game. Of course now that I posted this I am sure Rhode Island will march down the field on the first possession of the game and lead 7-0.

Agree 100%, these arent even good 1AA teams, go out and demolish this team with good defense, 3 and outs and run the ing ball down their throats, keep the clock moving and get the F out of there., I dont want to see more than 10-12 passes from Nassib. Like to see 3 running backs and Ant done after the the first half, 10 carries or so.

We have come out so piss poor versus 1AA teams it boggles my mind. I agree with you Jeremy, I expect to be down early, flat and wouldnt surprise to see a very close game

If that kid from Maine catches that ball last year in the first half which would have been a sure TD, who knows? One thing Maine did is throw everything at us and teams lose to 1AA teams all the time, SU needs to get their head out of their arse and come out guns a blazing

Agree 100%, these arent even good 1AA teams, go out and demolish this team with good defense, 3 and outs and run the ******* ball down their throats, keep the clock moving and get the F out of there., I dont want to see more than 10-12 passes from Nassib. Like to see 3 running backs and Ant done after the the first half, 10 carries or so.

We have come out so **** poor versus 1AA teams it boggles my mind. I agree with you Jeremy, I expect to be down early, flat and wouldnt surprise to see a very close game

If that kid from Maine catches that ball last year in the first half which would have been a sure TD, who knows? One thing Maine did is throw everything at us

Barrel great post I agree 100% and good call about that pass the Maine WR dropped last year, he was WIDE open. I dont want to sound like a typical SU fan but this team being as young as it is on D and with the injury issues we are having the last thing this team need is a close game against 1AA team deep into the second half. I am ok with coming out a little flat but the game should not be in doubt by half. Even with Chandler and Anderson out we should be able to dominate Rhode Island for christ sake.

One other thing you touched on was the fact that Main threw everythign at us, trick plays, one side kicks, reverses on kick returns, etc. I hope our special teams are a lot more prepared this year now that Casullo is gone, the last two years we have been totally outclassed by these 1AA squads on special teams. How many times did Maine fake a punt and get it 2-3?

I remember playing Buffalo a few times under P&D, and D just ran the ball must have been 40-50 times just kept the clock moving and we quietly beat them by 3-4 touchdowns, it wasn't the most exciting game in the world, but the D was decent and our O Line pushed them around, only when team sold out evrsus the run would they look for a big pass play. The game also took about 2:45 minutes. Establish the run, play good D from the start, 3 and outs and the rest should fall in place

Agreed on the special teams but they looked shaky at best last week as well, D Secondary looked lost, tired, and just outclassed last week as well

I am hoping the D secondary was having some first game jitters and was hurt by the injuries to Anderson and Fisher alogn with the complete lack of pressure on the quaterback the entire first half. To bad Jones will be out I am sure he would have wreacked havoc, hopefully Marinovich steps up a bit and Sharpe comes to play. Agree about the special teams though, jeez everytime theres a kickoff or punt you feel like a disaster is moments away.

I do like Rene and Kobena, Raupers was good too, Krautman just needs better snaps and blocking on the edge but he will be solid.

The dumb mistakes were just brutal

I'm dying to see a special teams touchdown. Can anyone remember the last time we had one? I just get the feeling Kobena is going to bust one this weekend. That's a great way to deflate the spirit of an inferior team.

I think we dominate early for one reason: Rhody's first game. Almost everybody around the nation struggled last week in the openers. I expect them to spend a half shaking off the rust. 46-10 Cuse.

Agree on Kobena. He takes one to the house on Saturday.

I think we dominate early for one reason: Rhody's first game. Almost everybody around the nation struggled last week in the openers. I expect them to spend a half shaking off the rust. 46-10 Cuse.

Good call on it being Rhody's first game, completely forgot about that and I think your right they will definititely have some rust and kinks to work out. I think the passing game will be running on all cylinders, Nassib absolutely shredded Maine last year I think Graham or West will get multiple catches this week, maybe a deep one.

I'd like to see AAM get a fair amount of carries. It's a perfect game to give him a decent amount of carries and see what his potential might be for the year.

Good call on it being Rhody's first game, completely forgot about that and I think your right they will definititely have some rust and kinks to work out. I think the passing game will be running on all cylinders, Nassib absolutely shredded Maine last year I think Graham or West will get multiple catches this week, maybe a deep one.
I would've felt the same way until recently reading that Rhode Island is returning all 11 starters on offense so familiarty may trump "rust"... of course we returned 9 and our offense still sucked the first half last week.:noidea:

As for the DB's looking lost, I put that on the fact that our gameplan sucked. Soft zone coverage with 5-10 yard cushion was aweful. Once we went to man D on the corners they looked better. Playing vs URI I'd expect to see man all game as we dont have to worry about being athletically outclassed anywhere. Looking forward to seeing #4 get some extended run to get some confidence to go with his physical gifts.

I am weary of the trick plays, 5 wr sets, etc. as well though. They're probably going to score at least one TD on a sandlot play.

I'm dying to see a special teams touchdown. Can anyone remember the last time we had one? I just get the feeling Kobena is going to bust one this weekend. That's a great way to deflate the spirit of an inferior team.
i wanna say damien rhodes might have been the last special teams td..but thats a total guess

I would've felt the same way until recently reading that Rhode Island is returning all 11 starters on offense so familiarty may trump "rust"... of course we returned 9 and our offense still sucked the first half last week.:noidea:

As for the DB's looking lost, I put that on the fact that our gameplan sucked. Soft zone coverage with 5-10 yard cushion was aweful. Once we went to man D on the corners they looked better. Playing vs URI I'd expect to see man all game as we dont have to worry about being athletically outclassed anywhere. Looking forward to seeing #4 get some extended run to get some confidence to go with his physical gifts.

I am weary of the trick plays, 5 wr sets, etc. as well though. They're probably going to score at least one TD on a sandlot play.

Good point about returning off. starters, but their defense is returning hardly anybody IIRC

Good point about returning off. starters, but their defense is returning hardly anybody IIRC
Yeah which is why I think we'll score some points pretty quickly/easily. I don't think we'll post an you score though because Marrone is too classy to run up the scores. Once we get into the 30s we'll just run clock unless URI starts playing dirty Maine style football at which point I'd hope we hang 70 on them.

Oy Jeremy Cuse, not a huge fan of your signature. It's a good year if we beat Rutgers?

No it's not.
Thought that too. Maybe more fitting would be "It's a poor year if we don't at least beat Rutgers"

This is premature, but Jeremiah Kobena is the newest version of Quinton Spotwood. He has a long way to go to get Spotwood's level, but he did show signs of his future ability last week against Wake. There were a few returns where he started to have incredible momentum.

Here's to him taking one to the house this Saturday!

I dont want to see more than 10-12 passes from Nassib.

I'm cool with this so long as the backup QBs throw another 10-12. It would be nice to see the young wideouts get their first catch out of the way.

I remember playing Buffalo a few times under P&D, and D just ran the ball must have been 40-50 times just kept the clock moving and we quietly beat them by 3-4 touchdowns, it wasn't the most exciting game in the world, but the D was decent and our O Line pushed them around, only when team sold out evrsus the run would they look for a big pass play. The game also took about 2:45 minutes. Establish the run, play good D from the start, 3 and outs and the rest should fall in place

I wasn't a fan of that actually. I think in some of those years we lost a great chance to work on a passing game under the lights that we really needed.

Akron last year.

one reason we dont tend to dominate teams is we dont get the o or d line play thats required..

Reality is it shouldn't matter if they are returning all of their starters on both sides of the ball, we should win. We've played sloppy football against teams like this but the reality is nothing about their team matters, we should win and look like the better - more dominant team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom