Open Practice Report | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Open Practice Report

I understand your points -- though I also believe Marrone's job (as he defines it) is to rebuild the recruiting networks and contribute his philosophy and his experience on the offensive side, managing the playbook and using Hackett as his young deputy. If you don't like what Marrone/Hackett have been doing, you have to then consider what part is the veteran Marrone and what part is young Hackett.

When the defensive side lost Chandler, and recognized it got rolled by some bigger offensive lines, Marrone/Shafer went out and brought in Marcus Pierce-Brewster and three real big DL guys (Jones, Raymon & Walls) to supplement his hefty recruits, Crume and Sloan.

I don't see a similar effort to bring in talent to run a faster-paced, down the field offense. The JUCOs have been large or extra-large OL guys. Is Hackett responsible for that?

I'm on board with the JUCO point as well as the point on how much you can blame Hackett vs. how much you can blame Marrone. I'm not really sure we disagree on any of that. I also have no problem with a run-first offense (relax everyone, I'm not saying that's what we had, just that I'm ok with it).

The only point I disagree with here is boiling marrone's job down to recruiting networks and offensive philosophy/playbook, etc. If that's how DM views his job, that's not good.

Evaluating coaches, collaborating with S&C on workout/conditioning programs, practice structure, delegating recruiting/scouting responsibilities, game planning, disciplinary issues, schmoozing with alums, conducting awkward interviews with Brent Axe, praying as hard as he can that message boards and blogs and reporters and cameras go away, rooting out opposing spies wearing SU sweatshirts and lurking behind chain-link fences -- those are all parts of DM's job. And there are more I didn't even touch.

So, in general, I think his job is exceedingly broad in scope. But otherwise I think we're in agreement. My only point is that DM isn't likely to go anywhere after this year, but Hackett could well be the fall guy (fairly or unfairly) if the O struggles.

OK -- I agree Marrone's job is broad.

I am hoping for big progress with the offense (after Pugh comes back and as the young playmakers get their feet wet). Would not want to believe that Marrone is the sort of guy who would make his deputy a fall guy for executing the HC's offensive philosophy.

Last year we threw 415 times, second highest in the BE (WVA was first with 526). However, we were 7th in YPA and total passing yards. Rushing we were 6th in total rushing yards and 5th in RYPG. I think these stats really tell the story of the offense- we couldn't run and we played dink and dunk in the passing game. The result was 7th place in total yards.

Nassib does not call the plays and he can only throw to the receivers on the field. It is Hackett's job to design the plays (which obviously means the passing tree as well) and to call the plays. Other than WVA who played that stupid passive D, it always looked like the DC for the other team had our opening play script. Gees, even Rhode Island, Tulane!!!

Our OC was doing on-the-job-training and it showed - period. It is not Marrone's job to design the passing plays, the opening script and game time adjustments - that is Hackett's job. Marrone's responsibility is to replace him if he can't cut the mustard.

This year will tell the story for Hackett. I hope he grows into the job.

Announced intention.
Eh. No one says they're going to establish the pass except for maniac air raiders. Even though lots of people do establish the pass.

It's just one of those things coaches are supposed to say. teams that end up in the top 30 of passing play percentage don't get there by accident

Last year we threw 415 times, second highest in the BE (WVA was first with 526). However, we were 7th in YPA and total passing yards. Rushing we were 6th in total rushing yards and 5th in RYPG. I think these stats really tell the story of the offense- we couldn't run and we played dink and dunk in the passing game. The result was 7th place in total yards.

Nassib does not call the plays and he can only throw to the receivers on the field. It is Hackett's job to design the plays (which obviously means the passing tree as well) and to call the plays. Other than WVA who played that stupid passive D, it always looked like the DC for the other team had our opening play script. Gees, even Rhode Island, Tulane!!!

Our OC was doing on-the-job-training and it showed - period. It is not Marrone's job to design the passing plays, the opening script and game time adjustments - that is Hackett's job. Marrone's responsibility is to replace him if he can't cut the mustard.

This year will tell the story for Hackett. I hope he grows into the job.

I agree with the bottom line -- if you broaden it to say it will tell the story for Marrone/Hackett on the offensive side, as well as the defense & specials. Need lots of improvements.

Can't dispute your stats, but I disagree with the diagnosis. Marrone did the base design -- we were running the same scheme in 2010 (with Marrone as OC) as we did in 2011 (with Marrone elevating Hackett to OC). The play calling in 2011 wasn't markedly different either, nor was the offensive output. It is a tandem effort (Marrone/Hackett) working with essentially the same talent in those two years.

Yards after the catch reflects the talent as much as the schemes. There is a reason that Victor Cruz of the Giants turns simple plays into long gains. He makes the first guys miss, then outruns the others. As for the running game, I would offer three observations -- our offensive line had some weak links; there was no game-ready runner other than Bailey; we didn't have a running QB. We had a thin first rank of playmakers, and nothing behind them.

Where we agree -- let's see how Marrone/Hackett do now that they have some new playmakers to add to the mix. We appear to be better in most units, except for questions about the OL (one of DM's specialities).

Has it been discussed whether or not Hackett will coach from the sidelines this year or will he go up in the booth. Last year he coached the final game vs pitt from the sidelines. I wonder if it makes a difference. what do you guys think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom