Orange Reputation in the ACC: "mediocre at best" | Syracusefan.com

Orange Reputation in the ACC: "mediocre at best"

Well...I mean so far that's what it's been. Maybe Not "at best" but certainly mediocre...which is just awful. Winning an acct game could help

I have been to every SU game played in the Dean Dome. The UNC fans that I have been exposed to during those games literally view Syracuse the same way SU fans used to view Seton Hall when we were in the Big East. Most of them honestly have no knowledge or regard for our team's history. We might has well be Clemson to them.

I have been to every SU game played in the Dean Dome. The UNC fans that I have been exposed to during those games literally view Syracuse the same way SU fans used to view Seton Hall when we were in the Big East. Most of them honestly have no knowledge or regard for our team's history. We might has well be Clemson to them.
That's hard to believe.

That's disrespect, that we're going to have to earn our way out of. Pity they didn't get slammed by the NCAA ... they sooooo deserved it.

Yeah, '87 and the Great 8 (I believe that's what it's was called back then) is such a long time removed. Most recently, UNC has owned us, including 3 times in 2016, and the FF in Houston.

Mediocre at best? We havent had a losing season in nearly 5 decades and have beaten them numerous times in the past few years.

A losing season is not “mediocre” a losing season is “bad.” I’m not sure what you’d call the results the last 3.75 seasons but “good” or “great” doesn’t come to mind. AtD I guess.

I don’t even know what to say about the second part of your last sentence.

I think a confluence of factors coming together has made us a mediocre ACC program. For now.

If we would have made the move in 2009-10, we would have been a top 3 program all five of those years.

One recruiting swing and a bunch of guys making the right decisions and improving can alter things almost immediately for '18-19.

That’s strange, but UNC does have a lot of t-shirt fans that don’t know much about basketball. I lived in Chapel Hill until recently, and the knowledgeable UNC fans I know respect the SU program/brand. From 2001-04 their program was much worse than we are now, and this is the worst we have ever been with JB.

if KP is correct, the last 3 years we've finished 8th or 9th in a 15 team league. We did finish second in 2014, so maybe the at best is a stretch, but that kinda sounds like the definition of mediocre to me, no?

I used to live down there in the 90’s. To say those people were huge college b-ball fans was false...they were huge ACC fans and knew and cared nothing about the rest of the country. They were in their own little bubble of sports fandom. Not sure if it’s still that way.

There’s nothing remotely inaccurate about that article

Not inaccurate, it’s just that it’s incredibly surface level stuff. Some facts(our finishes in league and the minutes played) and wondering if we’ve been a bit down because ours guys play too much...and that’s it. I’d think the logical next step would be to analyze why our guys play so much(lack of depth), why we have had such little depth lately(injuries, and reduced scholarships) and come to the “no crap” conclusion that going on probation hurt our program.

Not inaccurate, it’s just that it’s incredibly surface level stuff. Some facts(our finishes in league and the minutes played) and wondering if we’ve been a bit down because ours guys play too much...and that’s it. I’d think the logical next step would be to analyze why our guys play so much(lack of depth), why we have had such little depth lately(injuries, and reduced scholarships) and come to the “no crap” conclusion that going on probation hurt our program.
It was by no means “deep thoughts”

I don’t know. Flynn and McNamara played heavy minutes as well. This isn’t a recent development.

Look, how dumb fans look at us is not on us. It's on them. It is absolutely moronic for someone, anyone, to think of us in the same terms as Seton Hall or any mediocre program. You have to be stupid to think that way. We haven't had a losing season in 50 years. We are going for a national record. We have gone to final fours in 5 decades straight. Twice, beat UNC on the way there. We have gone through a rough period and still managed to go to 2 final fours in the last 5 years. That's mediocre? We have beat duke two straight years. Oh, and this year isn't over.

I don’t know. Flynn and McNamara played heavy minutes as well. This isn’t a recent development.

True, but I was looking at this yesterday, it is pretty extreme now. We have 3 of the top 10 in the country in % of min played! We're 351st in the country in % of bench minutes. (Guess how many teams there are in the country)

True, but I was looking at this yesterday, it is pretty extreme now. We have 3 of the top 10 in the country in % of min played! We're 351st in the country in % of bench minutes. (Guess how many teams there are in the country)
Who exactly should we be putting in the games?

I want to live in a world where the standard for mediocrity is “have you beaten Duke?”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom