Orange Reputation in the ACC: "mediocre at best" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Orange Reputation in the ACC: "mediocre at best"

Is it the only reason no, but you’re an idiot if you don’t think it’s part of the reason. Go
look at every school that’s had the same issues prior to us.

I find it interesting when people call others not such flattering names, etc. when having different viewpoints. Now, is using the word idiot appropriate here when the poster never said it wasn't "part of the reason," just not the "primary" one as several have suggested. ;)

pri·ma·ry
ˈprīˌmerē,ˈprīm(ə)rē/
adjective
adjective: primary; adjective: Primary
  1. 1.
    of chief importance; principal.
    "the government's primary aim is to see significant reductions in unemployment"
    synonyms: main, chief, key, prime, central, principal, foremost, first, first-line, most important, predominant, paramount;
    informalnumber-one
    "our primary role"

in 2010 and 2012 we were a 7 man rotation team, that didn't kill our starters. But that is because we had seven trusted players and a flexible lineup.

I think 7 is the optimal number for Jim, but at the same time if he doesn't have flexibility or trust 7 players, he will ride a starter.

I like 7 as well for our system (not big on heavy rotations that kill rhythm), but at the same time even if the #6-7 players are not as good, the bench guys need to get about 40 minutes of time no matter what. If you have to bring in an 8th as they are the only C/PG backup then I am fine with that as well. I think in prior years he has passed on this chance.

This year, and right now, he really has no choice. There is no #7 option.

in 2010 and 2012 we were a 7 man rotation team, that didn't kill our starters. But that is because we had seven trusted players and a flexible lineup.

I think 7 is the optimal number for Jim, but at the same time if he doesn't have flexibility or trust 7 players, he will ride a starter.

I like 7 as well for our system (not big on heavy rotations that kill rhythm), but at the same time even if the #6-7 players are not as good, the bench guys need to get about 40 minutes of time no matter what. If you have to bring in an 8th as they are the only C/PG backup then I am fine with that as well. I think in prior years he has passed on this chance.

We pretty much had six starters in 10 and 12. I mean six players were starting-caliber players in the Big East. I don’t think we have that now.

We pretty much had six starters in 10 and 12. I mean six players were starting-caliber players in the Big East. I don’t think we have that now.

Uh, no.
In '10 we had the starting 5, plus: Scoop and KJo. That maths out to 7. You don't think Scoop or KJo were starter-caliber?
Syracuse Basketball 2009-2010

In '12, we had the starting 5, plus: Dion, CJ Fair, Southy, Baye, and MCW stuck on the bench. Routinely went 8 deep.
Syracuse Basketball 2011-2012

You are most definitely correct about us not having that now though. :(

Last edited:
Uh, no.
In '10 we had the starting 5, plus: Scoop and KJo. That maths out to 7. You don't think Scoop or KJo were starter-caliber?

In '12, we had the starting 5, plus: Dion, CJ Fair, Southy, Baye, and MCW stuck on the bench. Routinely went 8 deep.

LOL. At least I could remember that we had more than five starting caliber players those years.

It's been 7 in March, not 7 in October, November, December and January.

I have been to every SU game played in the Dean Dome. The UNC fans that I have been exposed to during those games literally view Syracuse the same way SU fans used to view Seton Hall when we were in the Big East. Most of them honestly have no knowledge or regard for our team's history. We might has well be Clemson to them.
This year I wish we were Clemson to them. Clemson is ranked.

I find it interesting when people call others not such flattering names, etc. when having different viewpoints. Now, is using the word idiot appropriate here when the poster never said it wasn't "part of the reason," just not the "primary" one as several have suggested. ;)

pri·ma·ry
ˈprīˌmerē,ˈprīm(ə)rē/
adjective
adjective: primary; adjective: Primary
  1. 1.
    of chief importance; principal.
    "the government's primary aim is to see significant reductions in unemployment"
    synonyms: main, chief, key, prime, central, principal, foremost, first, first-line, most important, predominant, paramount;
    informalnumber-one
    "our primary role"
This post is smug, and condescending. What’re you, an idiot?
That “appropriate” enough for ya’??
(I keed, I keed) ;)

I’m sorry, but I’m with JB on this. When you make the freakin Final Four, it’s not a mediocre season. I don’t know what kind of ridiculous irrational fan you have to be to think otherwise. There are of course different ways to measure success in CBB (regular season record, conference finish, and conference tourney are all important). But the NCAA tournament is ultimately the only thing that matters in the end, and we made it to the last weekend, the ultimate destination, in 2015-16. So you can take your 3.75 seasons of mediocrity and stick it where the sun don’t shine. I’m sick of people denigrating the Final Four season like it’s a miracle and doesn’t count.
When you make a final four as a ten seed, that is the definition of a mediocre season... followed by a great tournament run. The season is more than just the tournament.

When you make a final four as a ten seed, that is the definition of a mediocre season... followed by a great tournament run. The season is more than just the tournament.

A mediocre season with an unexpected and miraculous ending.

I agree with you.

Uh, no.

The thing about 2010 was the flexibility of those 7 guys that allowed everyone to stay fresh. Our leader in minutes was WJ at 35 min/game. We only had one other guy over 30 and the 7th highest played more than 20. Our sixth man played the third most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom