Orangeyes ... Sad News | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes ... Sad News

I first found this board around 2003 when there was a link to it on Mason's website (orangenation.net?). I never met Orangeyes but when I saw this thread it was like a punch to the gut.

although i never met dan, i looked forward to his posts. w/o saying he not only was the ultimate supporter of su, but for me he was a link to history of su sports and in many ways to syracuse. probably the best thread of all time (for me anyway) was the one he had on gene fisch. it perhaps touched more history and people than any other commentary. i share that history/experiences of old archbold, parochial league danzers etc.---and today,i feel as if colleague has passed, one unfortunately, i never met but seemed to know him if only vicariously. i always read his posts and appreciated his comments and tolerance----selfishly, i will miss them---but i will miss more when i cannot see "orangeyes" on the board any more--and realize that there remains a void. like many, prayers go out to his family, and dan, will light a candle for you and yours, like us old parochial leaguers used to do----rip

oh man...

just read the thread.

sending good thoughts and prayers to Dan and his family.

I have never been a picture guy, don't take many or collect many but I will try and find some.

Here is one.

Schayes, Brian and Dan..jpg

Very sad news. Never met Dan but I always enjoyed his posting and what he did for our community.

RIP

God bless you, Dan. Life is so fragile and living it to the fullest everyday would be the greatest commemoration to your life we could ever provide. All of us "townies" who never had the privilege of attending Syracuse University none the less love it just as passionately. I grew up in a tiny little village not far outside of Syracuse just down 690 west and since 1975 at the ripe age of 3 years old was introduced to this communities love for all things Syracuse. There are folks who will deride this city and this area in general but we all know the salt and the orange runs deep in our veins. My hope and my prayer is that you are playing catch with the man you help to commemorate with his statue standing outside the dome. Every time I visit, I will put my hand on Ernie's and say a prayer for you.

I could sit and talk to Dan for hours about Syracuse and the community.

He either knew everybody or knew something about everybody it seemed.

I could pluck a name out - Mike Hanley of Sacred Heart - and he would instantly tell me a story.

He was always wonderful to my family and me.

I can't believe he's gone.

Very sad to hear/read the news. Best of luck to the family in getting through this. We will all miss you.

It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and men's basketball, but also Lax, women's basketball, women's softball etc.

He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts.

We will post details of the arrangements when we know them.

God bless Dan, we'll miss you.
Orangeyes was all about passion and will be sorely missed on this site and in general by any SU fan. He epitomizes what it is to be a true fan. Say hi to Ernie for us my man, he will be there to great you at gate #44...

It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and men's basketball, but also Lax, women's basketball, women's softball etc.

He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts.

We will post details of the arrangements when we know them.

God bless Dan, we'll miss you.

I just returned from a trip out of the country only to read this upon my return. So sad.
RIP Orange brother.

Was at the beach when a friend texted with the news Sunday morning. My heart goes out to Dan's family and close friends, many of whom are the backbone of this board. I was shocked, to say the least, as I thought for sure Dan would come through this ordeal. I had a long conversation with him recently after Niko alerted me to the situation, and I can tell you Dan was thrilled by the visits he got from SU hoops and football coaches and players. I was humbled by the compliment he paid me by telling me he always felt he was a smarter football/lacrosse fan after reading my stories. I never knew that conversation would be our last. I'm glad we had it but wished we had more of them. Dan, you were the BEST SU fan ever, the true definition of the word. You never let a roadblock get in your way when it came to doing the right thing, as proven by the statue outside the Dome. That statue represents the best of SU sports. So do you.

I never met Dan but I feel like I've known him for a good part of my life. I've been reading his posts for over a decade. He made being a Syracuse fan in the Midwest really easy. I'm glad Syracuse.com got a chance to run a story on him. It gave me a chance to see a man I'd look up to on this forum. He embodied everything great about being a Syracuse fan and his contributions on this forum and to Syracuse University will always live on. He will be sorely missed but never forgotten. He's one of the reasons this forum is so great. While some of us have met and some have not we all have this undeniable bond that links us. RIP Dan.

It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and men's basketball, but also Lax, women's basketball, women's softball etc. He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts. We will post details of the arrangements when we know them. God bless Dan, we'll miss you.

I didn't know Dan personally but he gave a lot of himself to this site and I am saddened. My thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends which are numbered high in my estimation "Orange eyes" and Orange heart.