Oregon hires Mario Cristobal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oregon hires Mario Cristobal

Leavitt was a horrible coach, good recruiter, lousy coach.
Leavitt did startbhat program from scratch and in less than a decade he won at Auburn and had his Bulls ranked #2 in the nation. And he also screamed at some players too.

Last point: he was DC last year in Boulder. 9 or 10 wins. He leaves for Eugene. Buffs finish 5-7. Not ALL him, but the guy can coach.

Leavitt did startbhat program from scratch and in less than a decade he won at Auburn and had his Bulls ranked #2 in the nation. And he also screamed at some players too.

Last point: he was DC last year in Boulder. 9 or 10 wins. He leaves for Eugene. Buffs finish 5-7. Not ALL him, but the guy can coach.

Are we really questioning levitts coaching here? At USF he built a viable program still a power today. Then, like bought a kid a burger or something and had a violation.

Didn’t he punch a kid or something at USF?

Great point IB. Something happened. Was it a kid or coach or fan, or something? Just remember the stories of him starting the USF program out of one of those construction trailers you see on site.

I believe it. I was in school in Tampa in 93 , i played baseball and we played USF every year. Huge school, but FB wasnt even a dream at that point. He did a helluva job there.

Great point IB. Something happened. Was it a kid or coach or fan, or something? Just remember the stories of him starting the USF program out of one of those construction trailers you see on site.

I believe it. I was in school in Tampa in 93 , i played baseball and we played USF every year. Huge school, but FB wasnt even a dream at that point. He did a helluva job there.

He did do a hell of a job there for sure. He’s a bit of a loose canon, always see his name linked to replacing bill Snyder at KSU.

He did do a hell of a job there for sure. He’s a bit of a loose canon, always see his name linked to replacing bill Snyder at KSU.

Yup, that's him. Remember when USF was ascending; the stories of him and his coaches whooping it up at a crab/lobster house and going to town? As a coordinator the kids must eat him up. Bottom line , he was the USF PIONEER and deserves the accolades:)

Replacing Snyder is turning into a mess. Administration tried to bring Leavitt on as an assistant this past season and have him named coach in waiting - but Snyder said no to that. Snyder wants his son - a career special teams coach there - to succeed him. And only Bill thinks his son is qualified to succeed him.

Bill Snyder blocked Kansas State coaching deal with Jim Leavitt, report says

Replacing Snyder is turning into a mess. Administration tried to bring Leavitt on as an assistant this past season and have him named coach in waiting - but Snyder said no to that. Snyder wants his son - a career special teams coach there - to succeed him. And only Bill thinks his son is qualified to succeed him.

Bill Snyder blocked Kansas State coaching deal with Jim Leavitt, report says

I have so many questions.

How did Taggart and Leavitt become so attached? Not sure I’ve ever seen that happen with two consecutive head coaches at one school.

Leavitt obviously wants to be at K State, so what’s his draw to the state of Florida?

How quickly must Oregon have said we’re not hiring you for him to not wait and see if they would promote him to HC?

Snyder blocking him at K State so he could hand it over to his son is funny. Wonder what would have happened if Beamer tried that move.

Friends who are Gator and Noles fans, say USF in the early days took anyone Gators and noles passed on for off field concerns. When those two paragons of virtue pass...

Friends who are Gator and Noles fans, say USF in the early days took anyone Gators and noles passed on for off field concerns. When those two paragons of virtue pass...
So basically your P5 friends are downplaying the rise of G5 program in their own state by claiming they only got good by recruiting head cases. Yeah I don't see any bias on their part at all. Just sayin'...

So basically your P5 friends are downplaying the rise of G5 program in their own state by claiming they only got good by recruiting head cases. Yeah I don't see any bias on their part at all. Just sayin'...
Don't think FSU or Florida has lost a night sleep over USF ever

If USF or Central F ever got a P5 invite, they'd change their minds lol. Same recruiting footprint, equal ground? One good hire at one of the lesser schools and one bad hire at a big one and it would get interesting.

Oregon wow hired their own Scott Shafer 2.0
It didn’t work with Mark Helfrich and it won’t work with Cristobal.

Washington-Stanford will rule the North now.
Awful hire.

Oregon hires Mario Cristobal

yes definitely. it is decidedly so. without a doubt. you may rely on it. outlook good. ask again later.

Great move by the ducks

I agree. Cristobal did more with less at FIU and I thought he'd eventually get a sniff from an SEC school. If Richt should ever move to the NFL, Cristobal would be the top choice in Coral Gables.

Awful hire.
At the minimum, he's supposed to be a great recruiter and should generally keep together a very good class.

At the minimum, he's supposed to be a great recruiter and should generally keep together a very good class.
You don’t give the job to a coach to save one recruiting class.
Cristobal if you take out all nonconference games and his first year where he went 1-11 was still 19-20 in CUSA play at FIU.

The coaching market is really bad right now that Oregon went for the cheap hire.
He will be gone 2-3 years and they will spend then.

Bad timing really, I think Chris Peterson always wanted the Oregon job and when he took the UW job it looked as if the UO position was solidified as Kelly was hired and then in 2014 I believe Helfrich was fresh off of the national championship runner up season, the UO job looked like it was solidified. Obviously, the condition with Peterson's son was well documented at his wanting to stay at Boise for quite awhile, I believe he passed on the UW job twice before actually taking it.

Peterson finally took the UW job in 2014 but he was a long time assistant at UO was rumored to really like Eugene. Peterson isn't your typical meathead type coach, more of a health nut, granola type Birkenstock wearing guy. Eugene is a perfect place for him really, Funny how things work out but the UP job never really opened up until 2016 when he was already at UW and in the final four

This is a HORRIBLE hire by UO, IMO but time will tell

Last edited:
Well considering that USF, UCF, and Miami(FL) all finished in the top 25 waaaaaaaaay ahead of both FSU and FLA, maybe they should be a little concerned.

Awful hire.

Agreed. For a program of Oregon's caliber and financial strength, I find the hire rather uninspiring. Guess we'll find out in a few seasons.

You don’t give the job to a coach to save one recruiting class.
Cristobal if you take out all nonconference games and his first year where he went 1-11 was still 19-20 in CUSA play at FIU.

The coaching market is really bad right now that Oregon went for the cheap hire.
He will be gone 2-3 years and they will spend then.

Yup, Ask Rutgers about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom