Oregon hires Mario Cristobal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oregon hires Mario Cristobal

Cristobal really, really loves being at Oregon. He really killed it in the interview. His players campaigned hard to get him promoted, the AD listened to them too.

He's not an HC in training. Sometimes after spending 5 years thinking about what you did wrong as a HC, when you finally get that second chance you know what you'd do differently. Safe to say he won't get a 3rd chance if he messes this up and he knows it.

Also spent time in the Sabin School of HC Management. Seems to have worked out well for Kiffin.

My sense is this will prove to be a good hire.

Cristobal really, really loves being at Oregon. He really killed it in the interview. His players campaigned hard to get him promoted, the AD listened to them too.

He's not an HC in training. Sometimes after spending 5 years thinking about what you did wrong as a HC, when you finally get that second chance you know what you'd do differently. Safe to say he won't get a 3rd chance if he messes this up and he knows it.

Also spent time in the Sabin School of HC Management. Seems to have worked out well for Kiffin.

My sense is this will prove to be a good hire.

My days of buying into guys that killed in their press conference are over. I hope.

Maybe he’ll be great, but I’m surprised Oregon didn’t set their sights higher. I guess the timing hurt them.

The good news is that all the Florida jobs have turned over so recently, they probably won’t lose him anytime soon.

I'd bet solid cash this will wind up being a baaaaaad hire.

His players campaigned hard to get him promoted, the AD listened to them too.
This has a bit of a WfVU smell to it from when Rodriguez left for Michigan. At least Cristobal has some previous HC experience so he may have a chance. The locals reflect on the Chip Kelly era and expect things to get back to that level quickly. Good luck...

This has a bit of a WfVU smell to it from when Rodriguez left for Michigan. At least Cristobal has some previous HC experience so he may have a chance. The locals reflect on the Chip Kelly era and expect things to get back to that level quickly. Good luck...

Bill Stewart went 9-4 for three straight years @ WVU after RR left. I think Oregon would take that

Bill Stewart went 9-4 for three straight years @ WVU after RR left. I think Oregon would take that
9-4 wasn't good enough for the WfVU faithful who were used to double digit win seasons, thereby causing Bill to be forced out.
9-4 might be OK in Eugene for a couple of years, but it won't stand up to Chip's record in the long run.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is a big Oregon fan who's has some contacts in the ADs office. Said that Taggart is an NCAA probation waiting to happen. Cristobal really wanted the gig, the players wanted him to get it, and he was the best path to keeping their recruiting class largely together. Certainly could be short-sighted, but the early signing period apparently made them hire more quickly than they might otherwise have.

A friend of mine is a big Oregon fan who's has some contacts in the ADs office. Said that Taggart is an NCAA probation waiting to happen. Cristobal really wanted the gig, the players wanted him to get it, and he was the best path to keeping their recruiting class largely together. Certainly could be short-sighted, but the early signing period apparently made them hire more quickly than they might otherwise have.

Just like Orlando Antigua on the other side of things.

There's one way to get South Florida to win ballgames. And it doesn't involve playing by the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom