OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

Got two bottles of Blanton's today. Paid a premium for them but I've never tried it and my birthday is coming up.
I don’t know why people constantly overpay for Blantons.. pop in your car and drive to Delaware. Everytime I get low, I head there and get 7-10 bottles for around $60/each. Delaware can’t ship the stuff out of state. Goldmine.

So that race on Jan 9th Bohemian Bourbon finished 4th. Today he runs in the 7th race which is another stakes race at Santa Anita worth $200000. It will be his 3rd straight race coming out of the one hole. I'm going ATB with him today at 20-1 morning odds. I'm feeling pretty good after that basketball game and want to celebrate.
So- what were the results?

Oh, and get these... trust me..

My wife got me four glasses, and I can concur.

Any recommendations for a cheaper whiskey or bourbon to try? As I've already stated in here I cannot drink this stuff straight so I would need something to mix it with, ideally with no sugar. I'd like, to like this stuff.
1792 small batch
4 roses small batch
Elijah Craig Small batch
Woodford double oak (a little pricier)
Wild turkey 101
Basil Hayden's

I think these are all great places to start.
Great choices! Some others that are decent, some even cheaper:
Makers Mark
4 Roses yellow label
Old Grandad, Bottled in Bond
Knob Creek
Slane
Teeling Small Batch

So- what were the results?
Not good. They took him out to the lead and he led for the first 1/2 mile. Then he faded badly for the 2nd half of the race and finished around eighth. Wasn't a great strategy.

Any recommendations for a cheaper whiskey or bourbon to try? As I've already stated in here I cannot drink this stuff straight so I would need something to mix it with, ideally with no sugar. I'd like, to like this stuff.
Just grab yourself a handle of Evan Williams and start with Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. Goes against the sugar part but start there and then wean yourself off of the mixers. Will set a baseline to move up from.

I picked up a bottle of this over the weekend. Really liked my first couple glasses.

18940.gif

Just grab yourself a handle of Evan Williams and start with Old Fashioneds and Manhattans. Goes against the sugar part but start there and then wean yourself off of the mixers. Will set a baseline to move up from.
How about Diet Coke? Lol

How about Diet Coke? Lol
Diet ginger ale I think preserves the bourbon flavor better

Better yet I do Kentucky mules with bourbon, diet ginger beer, a little fresh lime juice squeeze. You can keep backing off the ginger beer until it’s mostly bourbon.

Any cola or fake sweetened drink will overpower the bourbon too much and make it harder to acclimate to drinking it straight

Better yet I do Kentucky mules with bourbon, diet ginger beer, a little fresh lime juice squeeze. You can keep backing off the ginger beer until it’s mostly bourbon.

Any cola or fake sweetened drink will overpower the bourbon too much and make it harder to acclimate to drinking it straight
That sounds awesome. Just without the diet.

What's your favorite Bourbon for that?

My boss' FIL has him drinking manhattans with the cheapest bourbon the restaurant/bar has. Says it makes the best mixed drinks like that. I kind of see his point. I'd rather drink the good stuff with no mixers.

I'm a ginger ale believer but has anyone tried mixing with some root beer. It's pretty good.

What's your favorite Bourbon for that?

My boss' FIL has him drinking manhattans with the cheapest bourbon the restaurant/bar has. Says it makes the best mixed drinks like that. I kind of see his point. I'd rather drink the good stuff with no mixers.
I use Woodford (comes in handles even cheaper) for Kentucky mules. Can’t justify using anything better or more expensive

I usually drink my bourbon straight and Basil Hayden is my favorite daily drinker. But If I am day drinking then I need something to slow my consumption so I cut it with ginger beer and lime haha

That sounds awesome. Just without the diet.
I agree but a large attraction of Whisky/Tequila for me is to cut out the sugar.

If I am going full flavor then I doing a craft beer over a mixed drink

Craft Beer > good whiskey/tequila > lighter beer > mixed drink

choices depend on my current weight, weather, length of drinking duration, company and convenience

I use Woodford (comes in handles even cheaper) for Kentucky mules. Can’t justify using anything better or more expensive

I usually drink my bourbon straight and Basil Hayden is my favorite daily drinker. But If I am day drinking then I need something to slow my consumption so I cut it with ginger beer and lime haha
I got a bottle of the Basil Hayden for my 50th. It didn't last long. That's good stuff.

Thanks for the Woodford recommendation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom