OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

I think the first question is --- When this pandemic is done, when is the tasting party at your place?
Well, I'd love to crack a bottle of Rhetoric 23yr, but unfortunately, just prior to this damn pandemic, I drank my last bottle. So I'm on the lookout. It's quality stuff.

Several years back in 2008, when I lived in Syracuse, Crown Royal had released Cask No. 16, which is a blend of higher end Crown's and finished in a Cognac barrel. I remember I went to pick up a normal bottle of Crown and the liquor store owner had over ordered the Cask 16. So I bought a bottle to try out as he was selling it at a discount to normal CR, around $34/bottle for the 750mL bottles, due to the overstock.

Anyway, I tried it and absolutely loved it, so I went back the next day and bought 4 cases of the stuff. Crown discontinued production on it in 2012 as the barrels were hard to come by. Anyway, over the years, I've drank a bottle here and there, because I love the stuff. Anyway, I have somewhere around 4 bottles left and stupid me just looked for the market value of it, because I haven't looked in a few years, and holy hell?!?!

1614086594541.png

That's Pappy pricing! Jesus this bourbon scene is absolutely insane. I'm not a seller, I only imbibe. So, it looks like I'm going to crack one of these boys soon!

Any recommendations for a cheaper whiskey or bourbon to try? As I've already stated in here I cannot drink this stuff straight so I would need something to mix it with, ideally with no sugar. I'd like, to like this stuff.
I would grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace. It's easily available and probably around $35-$40.

When I was starting out, I'd mix ginger ale with crown, and it was a great mix. I'd also recommend maybe just adding some ice and water for a beginner.

I use Woodford (comes in handles even cheaper) for Kentucky mules. Can’t justify using anything better or more expensive

I usually drink my bourbon straight and Basil Hayden is my favorite daily drinker. But If I am day drinking then I need something to slow my consumption so I cut it with ginger beer and lime haha
when daily drinking... I used to cut it as well, but I went to a Whiskey Bar in Richmond once - place looked like a library and I was in heaven - and tried just about all the rares... that was a hell of a tab, $1500 for me alone... the bartender turned out to be the owner though and tossed me a few very obscure rares that he had hidden way in the back. this was early on when I had started collecting and I just wanted to see whether the rares were worth the search. He poured me a glass of GTS with ice and one neat and I've never put a damn thing in my whiskey/bourbon since. It was wild the difference in taste.

Anyway, I digressed.. my method on day drinking... bourbon, glass of warm water, bourbon, glass of warm water.. Warm water innately sucks, so it will slow you more than iced water would. Plus it's helpful to hydrate in between. I hate useless calories and when I'm day drinking, I'm going to go through 1.5-2 bottles, so that's why I stick to water in between to try to slow my ass down.

Grab me a bottle. Make that 2... one for the try, one for the rack. I can DM you my details and send you cash. Not sure when I'll be back up in the area with this damn COVID.
PM me and we can work something out. Will definitely ship it out you you.

LoL. So the Cask 16 lookup got me intrigued. I need to reprice out my collection so I can update with my damn insurance carrier... yes, I needed to get a special rider on my insurance policy so that it covered the collection, but also because I have a few bottles that are worth more than the per item coverage was at the time.

I bought a condo in 2011 that's 1250 sqft.. when I called to size the insurance policy, she said, "you need what, maybe $50K coverage for the contents of your condo?" I quickly responded, "No ma'am, that will barely cover my bourbon collection." She laughed. I didn't.

Anyway, I remembered a bottle I found in Rome when visiting the 'rents back in 2017. I wandered into a liquor store and they had a Parker's Heritage 11yr, which caught me by surprise, seeing it on the shelf. I figured it must be PH's attempt to try to produce a "younger" bourbon to try to get to the masses, but having not seen it anywhere before, I bought all 4 bottles he had at like $169.99 a bottle. Just checked that sucker out and it's secondary for $556/bottle now. Dear jesus, these prices are all going nuts.

Attachments

• 4553A407-7772-4E43-981F-97673AA9D1BD.jpeg
    4553A407-7772-4E43-981F-97673AA9D1BD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Sorry... I love talking bourbon..

Was looking for the PH photo and stumbled across this gem from 2016...

1614088445903.jpeg

I refuse to pay full secondary pricing for anything, but the hunt is fun. The Pappy 12yrs were around $300 I think, the 10yr was $220 and I think the 23 yr cost me around $1500, but I haggled the guy down from $2100 and he threw in the bottle of GTS for an extra $100!

I really like IW Harper 15yr, but it's definitely a softer bourbon. If you love bold flavors, it probably won't resonate as well with you.

I would grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace. It's easily available and probably around $35-$40.

When I was starting out, I'd mix ginger ale with crown, and it was a great mix. I'd also recommend maybe just adding some ice and water for a beginner.
I wish it was readily available around here! Anything from Buffalo Trace has been tough to come by for the last year.

View attachment 196863Picked this up from a contest at work. Not planning to open it until I know more
Is making it to the states. anyone ever had it?
Blue spot is aged 7 years, yellow spot is aged 12 years, and red spot fifteen years. Some differences in the aging casks too. A decent Irish but not considered the best by most. Of the group yellow is probably the most popular. There is one aged five years but I can not remember its spot colour.

I'll throw a shout out for my two faves, one bourbon one scotch. They both have a nice burn going down and a nice smooth, sweet finish. I really love the angle's envy rum barrel finish. Anyone try their port finish?
View attachment 196968
View attachment 196969
I have not tried the Angel's Envy. The A'Bunadh will be my next purchase. I've been dying to try it!

I have not tried the Angel's Envy. The A'Bunadh will be my next purchase. I've been dying to try it!
I love both... but if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Angel's Envy Rum cask finish. It's like sweet, liquid fire going down. Just a super rich flavor which is smooth while maintaining a really good bite so that it feels like you are drinking bourbon.

The A'Bunadh has similar characteristics, but is a bit more muted. Can't go wrong with either honestly.

Well, I'd love to crack a bottle of Rhetoric 23yr, but unfortunately, just prior to this damn pandemic, I drank my last bottle. So I'm on the lookout. It's quality stuff.

Several years back in 2008, when I lived in Syracuse, Crown Royal had released Cask No. 16, which is a blend of higher end Crown's and finished in a Cognac barrel. I remember I went to pick up a normal bottle of Crown and the liquor store owner had over ordered the Cask 16. So I bought a bottle to try out as he was selling it at a discount to normal CR, around $34/bottle for the 750mL bottles, due to the overstock.

Anyway, I tried it and absolutely loved it, so I went back the next day and bought 4 cases of the stuff. Crown discontinued production on it in 2012 as the barrels were hard to come by. Anyway, over the years, I've drank a bottle here and there, because I love the stuff. Anyway, I have somewhere around 4 bottles left and stupid me just looked for the market value of it, because I haven't looked in a few years, and holy hell?!?!

View attachment 196959

That's Pappy pricing! Jesus this bourbon scene is absolutely insane. I'm not a seller, I only imbibe. So, it looks like I'm going to crack one of these boys soon!
I just picked up a 16 year rye. Have you had that? I also got a good deal on a 42 year old Canadian club. I found little reviews on either.

Blue spot is aged 7 years, yellow spot is aged 12 years, and red spot fifteen years. Some differences in the aging casks too. A decent Irish but not considered the best by most. Of the group yellow is probably the most popular. There is one aged five years but I can not remember its spot colour.
Green spot is nonage but is a blend of 7-10 year pot still whiskeys

Sorry... I love talking bourbon..

Was looking for the PH photo and stumbled across this gem from 2016...

View attachment 196961

I refuse to pay full secondary pricing for anything, but the hunt is fun. The Pappy 12yrs were around $300 I think, the 10yr was $220 and I think the 23 yr cost me around $1500, but I haggled the guy down from $2100 and he threw in the bottle of GTS for an extra $100!

I really like IW Harper 15yr, but it's definitely a softer bourbon. If you love bold flavors, it probably won't resonate as well with you.
Orangepace, I have a nice collection that I'm looking to sell off. Do you have any ideas on the best way to do it?

Angel's Envy would be in my cabinet every day if it didnt go up in price. A couple years ago I could find it for $36-42. Now, its over $50 (at least here) and I cant justify that with so many others I like for $25-35

Angel's Envy would be in my cabinet every day if it didnt go up in price. A couple years ago I could find it for $36-42. Now, its over $50 (at least here) and I cant justify that with so many others I like for $25-35
What do you like, in that range? You've mentioned Eagle Rare and Jefferson's. Any others?

I'll throw a shout out for my two faves, one bourbon one scotch. They both have a nice burn going down and a nice smooth, sweet finish. I really love the angle's envy rum barrel finish. Anyone try their port finish?
View attachment 196968
View attachment 196969
I think I tried their Port Finish. Only reason I say "Think" is because it was a Christmas present and my lovely partner accidentally smashed it after I had my first glass. It was very, very good and I believe a replacement is on the way.

This is a SU board!!!
in the last six years members have been drinking everything from whiskey to paint thinner!
its dam tough to be a die hard fan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom