OT: Article on change to digital of PS this week... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Article on change to digital of PS this week...

Thought that was a good, impartial overview of the situation.

I love getting a newspaper. I love the rough feel of the paper, the smell of newsprint, the struggles to get the pages to stay put trying to read from a chair. I love the feeling of being truly informed after reading a paper throughly. It was like getting a briefing from 100 close friends.

I understand and acknowledge the downsides...the damage to the environment from cutting down trees and converting them to paper, all the landfill waste, the lost time and tremendous inefficiencies involved in printing and distributing papers. It is a minor miracle they ever existed.

Going to a website and getting the information there isn't the same. for some reason, I don't feel I have the time to look at things I am not specifically there to review. It seems more inpersonal, more antiseptic, more corporate.

I am sorry for all the kids growing up now who will never have the chance to deliver newspapers. It was a great job for a kid to learn about self reliance, keeping obligations and managing money. I can still vividly remember the smell of the bundles of paper (5 star delivery today!), the sound the wire holding them together made when it was cut and the smear of newsprint on the inner half of my forearms.

My condolences to all the Syracuse newspapers employees who lost their jobs today. Thanks for all the stories over the years. Hope you end up with a better job as a result of the changes.

Thought that was a good, impartial overview of the situation.

I love getting a newspaper. I love the rough feel of the paper, the smell of newsprint, the struggles to get the pages to stay put trying to read from a chair. I love the feeling of being truly informed after reading a paper throughly. It was like getting a briefing from 100 close friends.

I understand and acknowledge the downsides...the damage to the environment from cutting down trees and converting them to paper, all the landfill waste, the lost time and tremendous inefficiencies involved in printing and distributing papers. It is a minor miracle they ever existed.

Going to a website and getting the information there isn't the same. for some reason, I don't feel I have the time to look at things I am not specifically there to review. It seems more inpersonal, more antiseptic, more corporate.

I am sorry for all the kids growing up now who will never have the chance to deliver newspapers. It was a great job for a kid to learn about self reliance, keeping obligations and managing money. I can still vividly remember the smell of the bundles of paper (5 star delivery today!), the sound the wire holding them together made when it was cut and the smear of newsprint on the inner half of my forearms.

My condolences to all the Syracuse newspapers employees who lost their jobs today. Thanks for all the stories over the years. Hope you end up with a better job as a result of the changes.
I just "read" the online version of the paper and it wasn't too bad. On the left hand side is what looks like a regular PS newspaper, which you click/press what you want to read. On the right comes up the article in the format you choose. It's default is text, but I switched to graphic to give it at least the look of the regular newspaper article that you enlarge, move around and read. It wasn't bad.

It's a brave new world out there now it seems like. After reading that article above, a lot of folks cheese is being moved and the people at the PS would do themselves good by going to get that book "who moved my cheese" which is all about change. 3 constants in life there is not 2, sure death and taxes...but add "change".

Don't worry about those paper boys - they are selling apps in the App Store and running commerce web sites ;).

A lot of parakeets are going to be pooping on metal cage bottoms soon. Oh the humanity.
no wait we all can go to Byrne dairy now, buy one, and then turn around go home and let Polly have at it. How convienent it will be (insert nasty face). Polly doesn't want a cracker, Polly wants a daily delivered to her home for her, uh, needs.....:-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom