OT- Atlanta side trips: Savannah or Smoky Mountains? | Syracusefan.com

OT- Atlanta side trips: Savannah or Smoky Mountains?

cuseinchina

Starter
So as much as I relish the thought of seeing Dave Matthews for the 37th time, I'm thinking a side trip is in order for Sunday as I have my wife, 6 year old son, and father-in-law coming down with me. Had two ideas and wondered if there are any Georgians on the board who could offer an opinion or suggestion. First idea is to drive down to Savannah, maybe go to the beach on Tybee Island and then spend the night in one of the old hotels downtown and come back for the game on Monday (win or lose will go to the final). Second idea is to do some hiking or something in the Smoky mountains, find some good BBQ, and maybe stay a night in Asheville. I recall driving through there once on the way to Austin and staying in this crazy redneck resort town up in the mountains and then winding down through the forest on one of the park roads - beautiful but that was ten years ago and I was driving way too fast to appreciate it.

Anyone have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other semi-adventurous day or one night trips? thanks!

I'm not from Atlanta but I've been there to visit my sister a couple times. Savannah is way too far for a day trip and almost too far for a one night stay. Believe it's about 4 hours each way.

Not sure if you've ever spent time in the ATL already? If not, there is plenty to do within the greater Atlanta area. The Georgia aquarium is amazing, coke world is cool to see, water country USA (weather permitting), plenty of good BBQ in the area, etc.

I'm not from Atlanta but I've been there to visit my sister a couple times. Savannah is way too far for a day trip and almost too far for a one night stay. Believe it's about 4 hours each way.

Not sure if you've ever spent time in the ATL already? If not, there is plenty to do within the greater Atlanta area. The Georgia aquarium is amazing, coke world is cool to see, water country USA (weather permitting), plenty of good BBQ in the area, etc.

Thanks. have to admit, most of my time in Atlanta has been spent drinking beers between flights at the Delta terminal. Every time I've been in to the city it's been straight in to a meeting and straight out a couple hours later. I am sure Atlanta is a great city and we are going to spend Friday/Saturday checking it out. But we live in NY and Chicago - so looking to get out of the city a bit if there is time.

Thanks. have to admit, most of my time in Atlanta has been spent drinking beers between flights at the Delta terminal. Every time I've been in to the city it's been straight in to a meeting and straight out a couple hours later. I am sure Atlanta is a great city and we are going to spend Friday/Saturday checking it out. But we live in NY and Chicago - so looking to get out of the city a bit if there is time.

Understandable. Suppose it depends on what your 6 year old is into but if you are a bit strapped for time or don't feel like driving too far the aquarium is there or not sure if being from Chicago makes your family Cubs fans but Cubs are playing the Braves Sunday @ 1:35.

Afraid I'm not much good for anything aside from standard tourist fare in ATL but hopefully some others here can chime in and help out.

If you're into food you should really go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market: http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/. I know that doesn't sound too exciting but it's the best international market I've ever seen, and it has a great cafeteria full of interesting international food. It's right near Decatur, which is a cool little city with some good bars and restaurants. In Atlanta it's best to get out of downtown and explore neighborhoods like Inman Park, Candler Park, Virginia Highlands and Decatur. For some really old school entertainment (and by old school I mean 1800s) I recommend the Cyclorama in Grant Park: http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/. I also agree with the Stone Mt. recommendation.

Savannah is so beautiful but it's a long and boreing drive from Atlanta.

Agree that Savannah is way too far for a day trip - 4 hrs each way if you don't get caught in any spring break traffic (a distinct possibility). Agree with the other post about Stone Mountain being a good option - only about 20 mins outside of ATL and a nice manageable hike up to the top. Cyclorama in Grant Park (next to the entrance to the zoo - which is solid) is cool if you're into history - tells the story of the battle of Atlanta during the Civil War and one of only like thre or four of these things left in the world. If you really want to get out of town for the day - Chattanooga is only about an hour and a half drive and is a pretty cool little city (plus the lookout mountain suggestion up that way). I'd skip the farmers market - good market if you're local, but not worth a trip for out of towners IMO. Aquarium is awesome but will be packed, so would try to get there right around when they open.

Atlanta has a wonderful Civil War Museum, i.e. the Atlanta History Center, with a superb collection of original uniforms and another of ordnance from both sides. If you like the civil war, it's impressive. Stone Mountain is also a nice place to visit. The mountain itself is a monolith and a good hike. There's a lake and park below with an adjacent golf course, as well as a bunch of touristy stuff. I never lived in Atlanta but worked there off and on and found lots of local things to enjoy.

So as much as I relish the thought of seeing Dave Matthews for the 37th time, I'm thinking a side trip is in order for Sunday as I have my wife, 6 year old son, and father-in-law coming down with me. Had two ideas and wondered if there are any Georgians on the board who could offer an opinion or suggestion. First idea is to drive down to Savannah, maybe go to the beach on Tybee Island and then spend the night in one of the old hotels downtown and come back for the game on Monday (win or lose will go to the final). Second idea is to do some hiking or something in the Smoky mountains, find some good BBQ, and maybe stay a night in Asheville. I recall driving through there once on the way to Austin and staying in this crazy redneck resort town up in the mountains and then winding down through the forest on one of the park roads - beautiful but that was ten years ago and I was driving way too fast to appreciate it.

Anyone have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other semi-adventurous day or one night trips? thanks!
Savannah is beautiful this time of the year...azaleas, dogwoods etc in bloom, but it's a 4 hour boring trip. Asheville, while still a 3.5 hour trip the trip is not boring (windy roads and mountains). Some of the redbuds are in bloom, but still leave-less mountains. Biltmore is very nice if you haven't seen it. Either way (Savannah or Asheville) you'll be in your car for awhile.

the North GA mountains are nice if nature/hiking are your thing. probably 60-90 minute drive north on 400. chatanooga isn't far (<2 hrs) and has a lot of nature, mountains, etc too. not for me, but i have enough crunchy friends here in atl to have a handle on things. :)

Good BBQ places: Fox Bros, Fat Matts, and Bone Lick all relatively close to downtown (marta to Fox Bros, cab to the other 2)

You could also hike up Stone Mountain or also check out Lookout Mountain & Ruby Falls.

Stone mountain would prob be the most bang for you buck for most people. Only a 20 min drive. It's basically a confederate army museum but dont let that deter you. It's beautiful and great hiking and if you can keep an open mind you can learn a thing or 2 about the other side.

Stone mountain would prob be the most bang for you buck for most people. Only a 20 min drive. It's basically a confederate army museum but dont let that deter you. It's beautiful and great hiking and if you can keep an open mind you can learn a thing or 2 about the other side.

Leave the Yankees hat in the hotel.

I'm originally a Main'ah so it's a sox hat for me. But it's all orange gear the whole time we are down there.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. Especially the BBW and ruby falls - liking those.

Savannah is so beautiful but it's a long and boreing drive from Atlanta.

Completely agree - visited Savannah for the first time in early February. If I had to live somewhere in the Deep South, I would pick there without question - it's just so green and historic.

if it's a nice day and you need to relax for a little bit while you're downtown - take the glass elevators up to the Sun Dial at the top of the Westin Hotel (easy walk from the dome or centennial park) - have a beer in the big chairs of the rotating lounge on the 72nd floor and get the panoramic view of the entire area

I'll second the Lookout Mountain suggestion. It's relatively close and there's a civil war site. You could also go to the aquarium in Chattanooga. I've heard it's better than the one in Atlanta.

the North GA mountains are nice if nature/hiking are your thing. probably 60-90 minute drive north on 400. chatanooga isn't far (<2 hrs) and has a lot of nature, mountains, etc too. not for me, but i have enough crunchy friends here in atl to have a handle on things. :)[/
Trip north gets interesting as you enter the mtns at Dahlonega, old gold mining town, once past the tourist trap of Helena. Clayton is where Deliverence was filmed. hiawassee is a classic Mtn. Town known for clogging. Ashville is perhaps the best place there is for Contra Dancing. Watching a dance would be quite interesting. Old English line dancing like shown in Jane Eyre movies along complex geometric patterns. Lots of quaint options for the family once you get north of townn. Tallulah Gorge would be a good destination. very scenic.

If your staying the night it's well worth the trip. Tybee Island is beautiful and has a very cool light house. You may overpay this time of year due to spring breakers. If you go to Sav a carrage tour is the best way to see the City and it a great history lesson. You can drive to Hilton head in the same amount of time as Sav if your into world class Golf courses!

If your staying the night it's well worth the trip. Tybee Island is beautiful and has a very cool light house. You may overpay this time of year due to spring breakers. If you go to Sav a carrage tour is the best way to see the City and it a great history lesson. You can drive to Hilton head in the same amount of time as Sav if your into world class Golf courses!
Jim, do you have any suggestions for places to say Sunday night in Savannah or Tybee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom