OT-Blarney Rock Closed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT-Blarney Rock Closed

Very sad news. So many great times there, but none were more fun than the BET gatherings there. I met nycfan there when Tomcat hooked me up with his dad to buy an extra they had for the finals against WFVU. So many good times with good people.

Good times, indeed.

A lot of teams came and went in the Big East over the years, especially the last ten, but I am really struggling with who the heck was WFVU?

Made my first visit to the famed Blarney before the Oregon game last month.

Packed with SU fans it was but the service was terrible. Not a lot of energy pre game, honestly was disappointed with the experience.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the place and hate that a staple for us Syracuse fans is closed. Maybe new owners will revive the establishment.

Made my first visit to the famed Blarney before the Oregon game last month.

Packed with SU fans it was but the service was terrible. Not a lot of energy pre game, honestly was disappointed with the experience.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the place and hate that a staple for us Syracuse fans is closed. Maybe new owners will revive the establishment.

I think you would have had a different experience if we had beaten UCONN the night before. Friday was a little rough.

Lots of great memories. It was cramped, took a while to get a beer and there were better places right next door but this was a Syracuse MSG tradition. I loved watching the game before us on TV inside there. Always got you more pumped for our game. Or the walk over to MSG with friends you had met there for a beer or three.

It was a place where you could walk in 2 hours before tip without a ticket for the game, stand on a bar stool in your SU gear screaming that you’re “looking for two” ...and in ten minutes another SU fan would sell you his extras for face value. Usually you had multiple offers.

The people were great.

It was a place where you could walk in 2 hours before tip without a ticket for the game, stand on a bar stool in your SU gear screaming that you’re “looking for two” ...and in ten minutes another SU fan would sell you his extras for face value. Usually you had multiple offers.

The people were great.

Or find Raoul Duke.

Lot of great memories, (and hazy ones). After the 6 OT game, my buddy and I met 2 guys from Oneida. One guy owned a local bank. He kept giving me $50.00s to buy rounds, and telling me to keep the change. Drank free, and made over $100.00.

Also, a lot of great times with NYC fan, who no matter when I arrived, always seemed to be a least 2 rounds ahead of me.

Wonder what is up? Place was jumping most times I've been there. Cuse, Rangers

Wonder what is up? Place was jumping most times I've been there. Cuse, Rangers

If Tom didn't own the building, the rent probably got out of control.

Is that bar/restaurant Marshall Street still open? It is owned by a Syracuse guy and had heavy Syracuse theme. Last time I looked their website was up. They used to advertise on WFAN for awhile.

Last edited:
This is awful ! Recently on my current trip to NYC for Basketball and Football with 23 guys we went there both nights and stayed at the dump that is Hotel Pennsylvania. It only accepted Cash and was a little shady but I knew I could wallow in my misery of losing to Oregon and ND with other Cuse fans. Met a ton of great people on this last trip.

Read a post that the windows were covered with paper. Little odd for a place that’s closing, but that’s apparently the case.

How dare you compare the two, sir.
I'm sorry I meant no disrespect. I just have never heard of the place before this post and love the similarly named establishment on the west side. After reading the memories on here I regret mentioning the two together the way I did. It sounds like an important place that meant a lot to true fans who passed through NYC.

Not to change the subject , but is that sweatshirt for sale? It’s sick!
It really is pretty sweet...anyone know where that legend 44 hoodie John’s wearing might be sold? That has under the tree and on my back written all over it.

Didn't the owner Tom Dwyer have some serious health issues not too long ago? Might just have decided it was time to retire.

That’s really too bad. Many great memories there. Still remember an SU fan kicking the sheet out of a loud obnoxious drunk UConn fan in the 90s. Those were the days.

4vIES3.gif

Is that bar/restaurant Marshall Street still open? It is owned by a Syracuse guy and had heavy Syracuse theme. Last time I looked their website was up. They used to advertise on WFAN for awhile.
Sadly, it appears it is still open.
Should not be mentioned in same thread as the Blarney.
And it's not close to MSG.

Marshall Street may be the WORST bar in NYC.
Drinks were limited and food was awful.
Quesadilla was gummy and contained a cold tiny sliver of melted cheese that may have been Velveeta.
The best thing going for it is the name.
There are other FAR better places to see a game.

Man, lots of Blarney pictures are popping up on my timehop today, from the UCONN game a few years ago. I met so many board members in that place. I've thrown up in the street out front at 11am a couple times. Still bummed out

I don't think we can consider our basketball games at MSG home games any longer:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom