OT: Catholics Splitting from NNBE? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Catholics Splitting from NNBE?

Good point. The name is the biggest asset they have right now. And maybe it would be best for them to milk the exit fees until they they have the conference they want :)

I think that if the split occurs, there are no exit fees. No matter, the dead weight issue is real and keeping the name for the hoops schools would only benefit them. Besides, could you imagine a conference of UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Houston, Tulane, Memphis, BSU, Navy, and SDSU sticking with the name Big East without the hoops schools?

The ACC should commit to playing a preliminary round of the conference tourney 2 of 3 years and every third year having the finals at MSG. Charlotte and DC could be rotated as the other sites. Half the teams start at site A, half start at site B, with the ACC final four at Site C.

The ACC should commit to playing a preliminary round of the conference tourney 2 of 3 years and every third year having the finals at MSG. Charlotte and DC could be rotated as the other sites. Half the teams start at site A, half start at site B, with the ACC final four at Site C.

I think DC is out of the rotation now. I'm thinking Indianapolis instead.

Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, Duke, NC State, Louisville and Notre Dame. Basically UNC and Duke for UConn and Georgetown/Villanova/St. John's? Umm, yeah I can live with that trade. Imagine msg can too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I've read the articles that suggest the BBall schools would benefit from remaining with the FB schools. I don't agree with them...based on one requirement: They would have to keep the BE name. I can't see Georgetown, SJU, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova EVER giving up the name unless forced to do so. And I can't see anyone in their right mind, awarding the name to UConn, Cincy, USF, Tulane, Sandy Eggo State, and Boysee.

As we all know, everything is negotiable. Use some of the buy-out monies to buy out the FB schools from the BE name. Georgetown, SJU, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova ARE the Big East for all intents and purposes at this point. Keep Marquette and DePaul. Let Cincinnati, UConn, USF and Temple stay on for basketball. This should help keep them in your voting block to split. Let them do their FB thing with the western schools. Add someone to get to 12, and you're done. No need to cross-pollinate with the westerlies. Those schools can strike their own deal for basketball and other sports...and keep their travel costs down on their olympic sports.

Then when (it's when, not IF) UConn or Cincy depart, you are only replacing one, and you can add a Xavier or a Butler or someone.

Conferences are getting so bloated now that it wouldn't surprise me if we get to the point where they will need two sites for their basketball tournaments - half the teams at each site with the championship game alternating between the two sites every other year.

Cheers,
Neil

Everyone read that and then tell me how conference realignment is some carefully orchestrated process with a predetermined outcome?

It's chaos.
"hey urban can you put in a good word with your sister thanks"

I've read the articles that suggest the BBall schools would benefit from remaining with the FB schools. I don't agree with them...based on one requirement: They would have to keep the BE name. I can't see Georgetown, SJU, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova EVER giving up the name unless forced to do so. And I can't see anyone in their right mind, awarding the name to UConn, Cincy, USF, Tulane, Sandy Eggo State, and Boysee.

As we all know, everything is negotiable. Use some of the buy-out monies to buy out the FB schools from the BE name. Georgetown, SJU, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova ARE the Big East for all intents and purposes at this point. Keep Marquette and DePaul. Let Cincinnati, UConn, USF and Temple stay on for basketball. This should help keep them in your voting block to split. Let them do their FB thing with the western schools. Add someone to get to 12, and you're done. No need to cross-pollinate with the westerlies. Those schools can strike their own deal for basketball and other sports...and keep their travel costs down on their olympic sports.

Then when (it's when, not IF) UConn or Cincy depart, you are only replacing one, and you can add a Xavier or a Butler or someone.
The basketball schools might benefit from football but only if there was stability on the football side. There isn't. Stability is the issue. Lack of stability hurts all future negotiations with outside entities (e.g. TV networks) related to BE revenue.

After I read that, all I could think is how these schools have no idea how to lobby. Forget Congress getting involved, K Street is going to get a piece of the action first.

After I read that, all I could think is how these schools have no idea how to lobby. Forget Congress getting involved, K Street is going to get a piece of the action first.

I'd love to see what Louisville and UConn did. Surprised local media hasn't done a FOI request for that info.

"And say hi to your mother for me"

tumblr_lfjmfctNg91qask1go1_500.png

If MSG is available, the ACC needs to suck it up and have the tourney there. No alternating locations--NYC only. The tradition is already there and it's a waste of years of marketing to not just slap a new name on it.

Now, if you think there's no way the b10 moves in, just think about this. The b10 takes more eastern schools (whoever, from north carolina up to BC). They make Chicago the center for b10 football, and NYC the center for b10 basketball. Not a crazy idea at all.

This past years ACC tournament was in Atlanta...much much better than Greensboro.
My daughter and I caught Saturdays games, UNC beating NC State at the buzzer and FSU beating Dook...

Getting tix was a breeze, just walked up, $35 a piece...I hope they do more in Atlanta...good luck with the MSG idea but SU just joined a southern based conference

I don't ever see the ACC going to MSG on a long term contract. The NC Mafia love having the games in Greensboro. At best the ACC could try for 2 years in NC and 2 years in MSG in a long-term rotation.

Having UConn in the ACC would help in this case...what the ACC can't afford is to have the B1G get any part of MSG.

The Garden during a major tournament is like crack. One successful tourney there and I can't imagine the powers that be not wanting to play there as frequently as possible.

The Garden during a major tournament is like crack. One successful tourney there and I can't imagine the powers that be not wanting to play there as frequently as possible.
Spoken like a Hobokenite...gotta remember those NC Boyz are very provincial.

If MSG is available, the ACC needs to suck it up and have the tourney there. No alternating locations--NYC only. The tradition is already there and it's a waste of years of marketing to not just slap a new name on it.

Now, if you think there's no way the b10 moves in, just think about this. The b10 takes more eastern schools (whoever, from north carolina up to BC). They make Chicago the center for b10 football, and NYC the center for b10 basketball. Not a crazy idea at all.

Other than the fact that there is one school in the area, one within a reasonable drive, and the others that ALL require air travel, not a crazy idea at all.

They bounce between Chicago and Indy for a reason. They are NEVER going to MSG.

And of course the ACC has NO tradition in the mid south, nope, nothing there.

There's nothing provincial about it, it's their conference and it's not like they are struggling.

Many of the ACC schools have large chunks of alumni in NYC, so its not just me speaking from a selfish point of view. The ACC Tourney at the Garden would be a major, major success. I have a feeling its going to happen, its more a matter of when and how frequently. Swofford mentioned the Garden very soon after Pitt and Syracuse signed on the dotted line. I would be completely fine with an off year rotation with Charlotte/Greensboro.

Many of the ACC schools have large chunks of alumni in NYC, so its not just me speaking from a selfish point of view. The ACC Tourney at the Garden would be a major, major success. I have a feeling its going to happen, its more a matter of when and how frequently. Swofford mentioned the Garden very soon after Pitt and Syracuse signed on the dotted line. I would be completely fine with an off year rotation with Charlotte/Greensboro.

I can't see it every other year there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom