OT: Catholics Splitting from NNBE? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Catholics Splitting from NNBE?

It's a slim majority, though. Of the 15 members schools almost half (7) don't have ties to the league's 1950s southern roots (SU, BC, Pitt, ND, VaTech, Miami, Louisville).

Plus given the disdain schools like GaTech & Clemson may have towards the "Carolina mafia" perception, I suspect they'd be good with having tourneys outside of Greensboro more often.

You Yankees haven't figured it out yet...This here is the South

GaTech, Clemson, VaTech...southern schools
They may not like the Carolina Mafia, but they like the Northeast even less...

SU, BC, Pitt and UND are outsiders, Yankee Schools, Carpetbaggers...We don't mind if you all come down and play a little football and basketball, but when the game is over, you need to be heading home...and right quick

Its Political, Social, Historical, Geographical, Religious, etc...

There was bitching galore from the fan bases about the move to Atlanta with the basketball tournament...MSG will not go over well at UNC, Clemson, FSU, GaTech, NC State, etc..

The southern schools are not going to be happy with DC as they see it as a northern town. If you want the quintessential ACC city then Charlotte is the choice.

Charlotte is the best ACC city which is why it should host the FB CG. However IMO a BBall tournament should be on as big a stage as possible. As a city Charlotte is the smallest stage of all the major conferences.

SU, BC, Pitt and UND are outsiders, Yankee Schools, Carpetbaggers...We don't mind if you all come down and play a little football and basketball, but when the game is over, you need to be heading home...and right quick

There was bitching galore from the fan bases about the move to Atlanta with the basketball tournament...MSG will not go over well at UNC, Clemson, FSU, GaTech, NC State, etc..
Hey - we beat the South once, we can beat them again. ;)

Miami, Duke, SU, BC, Pitt, ND would all have no issue with it being in DC, NYC, or even Boston.
Miami isn't good at BBall and is far away so they likely have no preference.
Duke prefers NC but they have enough ties to the NE that they wouldn't mind it being rotated up there.
They other 4 prefer the NE.
FSU is a FB school and nowhere near any of the locations so why would they care?
Clemson is another FB school, so does it matter to them? If it does then Atl followed by Charlotte would be their choice.
VT would likely prefer DC, but again they are a FB school.
UNC, UVA, Wake, NC St would want it in NC. I don't think UVA would mind DC. UNC would do well in NYC but obviously they want it at "home".
Louisville wants it in Louisville and everywhere else is a waste. I really hate their fans.
GA Tech would want it in Atl. Would they care about it being anywhere else?

The conference is now 15 teams. Of those only 7 are old school ACC. They no longer have the majority. I could totally see a 3 year rotation of Atlanta, Greensboro, and DC.

Yeah, fine. This isn't about insiders, outsiders, Yankees or Johnny Rebs.

Its. About. Money.

Southerners like money.

They'll move the hoops tourney to places it can make money.

Yeah, fine. This isn't about insiders, outsiders, Yankees or Johnny Rebs.

Its. About. Money.

Southerners like money.

They'll move the hoops tourney to places it can make money.

They already did...its called Atlanta
Good crowds at the games, cheap hotels & airfare, great food, NICE WEATHER IN MARCH

MSG and NYC, while I understand is the center of the universe for people in NY/NJ, doesn't carry weight here in the south..The ACC tournament is going to be televised whether its in NYC, ATL, Charlotte, DC, Boston, wherever...but why move a tournament someplace were 75-80% of the schools fanbases have a hard time getting to...that makes no sense. MSG has trouble selling out for the Big East tourney and now the ACC is going to sell out????????

And you might not be at war anymore, but they are here... We celebrate Confederate Memorial day every year here in SC...its a State Government and School Day Holiday...:)

MSG has trouble selling out for the Big East tourney and now the ACC is going to sell out????????

Wow. Yeah, that's kinda totally not true. So probably no need to continue this.

Good crowds at the games, cheap hotels & airfare, great food, NICE WEATHER IN MARCH

MSG and NYC, while I understand is the center of the universe for people in NY/NJ, doesn't carry weight here in the south..The ACC tournament is going to be televised whether its in NYC, ATL, Charlotte, DC, Boston, wherever...but why move a tournament someplace were 75-80% of the schools fanbases have a hard time getting to...that makes no sense. MSG has trouble selling out for the Big East tourney and now the ACC is going to sell out????????

And you might not be at war anymore, but they are here... We celebrate Confederate Memorial day every year here in SC...its a State Government and School Day Holiday...:)

Please support your claim.

The War of Northern Aggression is NOT over. There has only been a secession of hostilities. (said with a thick southern accent)

Unfortunately, there are many people here in the south that still believe this.

Just about everyone understands that the assimilation of the BE into the ACC has transformed it into an eastern league. More Atlantic than ever.

And by everyone you mean fans of SU and Pitt because I can assure you the fans of the schools in GA, SC, NC, VA along with FSU still see it as a southern league.

1.) Don't know about attendance, but the ambiance in the building seems to be lacking.

2.) Food. Thinking about Southern food puts me on artery-clogging heart-attack alert. All that thick white gravy.

3.) Weather. In the spring, I'd rather stay away from any place that is remotely connected with Tornado Alley.

Southern league, Schmothern league. While it certainly will not be in MSG very year or even every other year, I do think the ACC tourney will put MSG in its location rotation. It may be controversial at first, but I think the "old" ACC fans will come to enjoy the periodic, large, experience that no southern city and arena can match.

Southerners can suck it up and go to NYC. Too bad, so sad. Truth of the matter is that the ACC is in deep doodoo and needs to do everything they can do to keep it together.

I get the point about driving distance to MSG, but the days of regional conferences are over. If you have to fly anyway, might as well just go to NYC.

And this is no bias living in NYC. It just works, as proven by attendance.

Wow. Yeah, that's kinda totally not true. So probably no need to continue this.

Sorry let me qualify that..Saturday and Sunday sells out...and the other games aren't so full, depending on who is playing

Sorry let me qualify that..Saturday and Sunday sells out...and the other games aren't so full, depending on who is playing

Every session is all sold out though, and has been for years. There's empty seats for the noon Wednesday game, for sure, but the tickets are sold.

And the larger point is that if the existing Big East implodes and MSG severs its contract to house that tournament, the ACC is going to look very attractive to them. I have little doubt that the ADs/administrations at "southern" schools like Duke, UVA and UNC will jump at the chance to have their hoops tourney in NYC once in a while. The money and exposure will be tremendous.

And the larger point is that if the existing Big East implodes and MSG severs its contract to house that tournament, the ACC is going to look very attractive to them. I have little doubt that the ADs/administrations at "southern" schools like Duke, UVA and UNC will jump at the chance to have their hoops tourney in NYC once in a while. The money and exposure will be tremendous.

Hope so, Scooch.

The thing I wonder about, though, is do the tournaments lose something by alternating locations. Seems to me that it would sever that weird emotional connection.

Conversely, maybe looking forward to a different destination each year is appealing, too.

Update:
@AdamZagoria
OK, I stand corrected. Turns out Temple cannot stop the dissolution of the Big East. Got conflicting info, but source confirms they can't.

@AdamZagoria
Apologies for the confusion but here's the updated story.Temple Cannot Stop Catholic Dissolution of Big East (UPDATED)http://wp.me/p2cwux-m7q

idiots, wish they had left 10 years ago, now that eastern collegiate football has gone down the drain.

This isn't the North Carolina ACC anymore, Duke , North Carolina have many Alumni in the city. Florida St and Clemson would vote for NYC just to pi** off the group of 4, read their boards they don't want anything in North Carolina. Moneywise and for TV the proper thing to do is join the 21st century, if the ACC wants to be one of the big dogs they need to quit being provincial, MSG is the only place to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom