OT: Censorship and Power | Syracusefan.com

OT: Censorship and Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave85

Living Legend
Power if a funny thing. There are psychological studies that show people exercising power over others will be changed psychologically by the use of their power. There's a famous quote:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton

My problem with board moderation is how easy it becomes for the moderators to exercise their powers. Exercising censorship powers is like a methamphetamine addiction. Once you start you can't stop. Now I understand if there were no moderation at all the site would probably degrade and become not worth reading. Yet, at the same time there should be clear examples of what is agreed upon as NOT acceptable.

If someone uses a curse word or the term "jack donkey" and is banned without any warning or even why they were banned, then I would say the moderators are drunk with power. I was banned for three days. It really made me mad. There was no warning. There was no reason given. And the TOS agreement on the site is so broad and vague it becomes purely subjective. I can't help it if I use the term "jack donkey" in referring to a Seth Davis prediction that Orange are going to lose and now they are 24-0.

I've seen moderators use the word "darn". I've seen moderators make off-topic sexual references like "Adult World" admit it was a tease! Where does it end? Where is the humility?

Again, my problem with the moderators is not everyone sees the world through their privileged morality. I have seen many other websites solve this problem by having "report TOS violation". If a post gets enough TOS violations reports it is automatically removed. If a poster gets too many posts removed her posting ability may be suspended for some time. But I think if you are going to suspend someone from posting you have to do it with the humility of giving them a detailed reason why with an exact reference to the post and why that post violates the TOS agreement.

Now every time I post something I think is funny I have to think twice. This has made this site a lot less fun for me. And when I see other people post stuff I think is funny I wonder if they are going to get banned which makes me sad also.

If the powerful moderators are going to engage in the practice of banning there should be clear examples of what is considered NOT acceptable. But generally people who are drunk with power have deaf ears with regards to the use of their power.

Last edited:
next.

soupnazi.jpg

I think "I know it when I see it" is a pretty accurate explanation. It worked for the Supreme Court. Appealing to 'humility' is an interesting and thoughtful argument. I enjoyed the read. Sometimes those in authority have to act with authority. They have plenty of opportunity to catch up on humility as they read all the criticism that comes their way because of their position.

I can't help it if I use the term "jack donkey"

Are you really saying you can't help from doing something or did you misstate what you were trying to say?

To me this comes down to ownership. If you own something, you have the right to make the rules and delegate the rules. OP, if you're not happy with the moderation then one of the solutions is to start your own board and run it they way you envision.

The issue isn't power, the issue is ownership.

The mods are trying to make this place something everyone can enjoy. To say they are 'drunk with power' is...well...silly. I know, or have met, many of the mods and they just don't behave that way.

Dave, you seem to be a good poster. If you have to think twice about what you write, is that a bad thing? There have been numerous posts that I have typed, reread, and deleted. Self-'censorship' is not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to post unfettered, head over to Reddit. Here, we have folks who care about all things Syracuse, and they want to make sure we stay focused on that.

Are you really saying you can't help from doing something or did you misstate what you were trying to say?

To me this comes down to ownership. If you own something, you have the right to make the rules and delegate the rules. OP, if you're not happy with the moderation then one of the solutions is to start your own board and run it they way you envision.

The issue isn't power, the issue is ownership.

Where does it say on the site that "Jack Donkey" is bad? I've seen moderators post "darn". I would like to see a web page with examples of posts that are considered unacceptable. It would be nice to at least know what the rules ARE so you CAN follow them.

It is an issue of power not ownership. Your ownership argument is a non sequitur.

im going to self ban for a few hours for never having used the term jack-donkey. not only on here, but in life.

jack-donkey.

how the did i not see that one a mile away...

:bang:

:noidea:
I called you that just last week!

Well as we all know one of the Mods was an exec at one of the biggest corporations in the world. Im certain she is not impacted by the power (?) of syracusefan.com

The mods are trying to make this place something everyone can enjoy. To say they are 'drunk with power' is...well...silly. I know, or have met, many of the mods and they just don't behave that way.

Dave, you seem to be a good poster. If you have to think twice about what you write, is that a bad thing? There have been numerous posts that I have typed, reread, and deleted. Self-'censorship' is not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to post unfettered, head over to Reddit. Here, we have folks who care about all things Syracuse, and they want to make sure we stay focused on that.

I don't disagree with your post. I just would like to see a list of posts that are considered not acceptable. How can I follow the rules if I do not know what they are? Then, when I am doing what I see other people doing and I get banned with explanation it seems to me the moderators are going to far. That is my opinion. I'm sorry you think it is silly. I have always respected your opinions.

Well as we all know one of the Mods was an exec at one of the biggest corporations in the world. Im certain she is not impacted by the power (?) of syracusefan.com

Yeah, I get it. What is important to the little people is irrelevant.

I don't disagree with your post. I just would like to see a list of posts that are considered not acceptable. How can I follow the rules if I do not know what they are? Then, when I am doing what I see other people doing and I get banned with explanation it seems to me the moderators are going to far. That is my opinion. I'm sorry you think it is silly. I have always respected your opinions.

All right I will spill it for the Mods. The golden rule is...but please dont share this with anyone else because I don't want to get banned is..."think before your post" .

Now every time I post something I think is funny I have to think twice. This has made this site a lot less fun for me. And when I see other people post stuff I think is funny I wonder if they are going to get banned which makes me sad also.

If the powerful moderators are going to engage in the practice of banning there should be clear examples of what is considered NOT acceptable. But generally people who are drunk with power have deaf ears with regards to the use of their power.

I hope you are not serious. No one posts more "funny" or "silly" stuff than I do. But it is either Syracuse-related or clearly labeled OT. Why is that so difficult?

Trust me, the mods here are not "drunk with power." We are trying to run something for the benefit of Syracuse fans who enjoy having a place to share their SU passion. We do this 24/7. We don't get paid ... except, it seems, in periodic grief and brickbats. This board is not a "right." It is a gift. If you don't like the way it is run... no one forces you to read it.

I called you that just last week!
while i dont use the ignore feature, my brain pretty much catagorizes and sends all your posts into its ignore section.

All right I will spill it for the Mods. The golden rule is...but please dont share this with anyone else because I don't want to get banned is..."think before your post" .

I would love to follow the rules if I knew what they were. I was doing no different and no worse than any other poster and still I was banned. I did not say any curse words. The worse thing I did as far as I know was calling Seth Davis a "jack donkey" for predicting Syracuse would lose to Duke. All the message said was I was banned for "language". I wish I knew which post exactly got me banned.

Where does it say on the site that "Jack Donkey" is bad? I've seen moderators post "darn". I would like to see a web page with examples of posts that are considered unacceptable. It would be nice to at least know what the rules ARE so you CAN follow them.

It is an issue of power not ownership. Your ownership argument is a non sequitur.

It doesn't need to. It doesn't need to say jack. It could say "we will ban who we want when we want" and you would still have no argument related to power. This is ownership, pure and simple. Abuse of power is when you have no recourse. You have recourse.

Police have power.
Government has power.
Board mods do not have power. They have ownership rights.

i might've tried the brandeis "sunlight is the best disinfectant" or the john locke "marketplace of ideas" appeal before the distinguished panel.

and when that fails to sway the jury then switch quickly to thunder dome mode.
"look at his face! he's got the mind of a child! it's not his fault!"

btBlaster.jpg

Last edited:
You clearly haven't learned your lesson. Those who speak against the dictators will be given tees.

Maybe I am getting it now. Maybe I will have to post a Tee thread, stay away for a while, and then come back. Maybe this is my Tee thread that I am leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom