OT: Censorship and Power | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Censorship and Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like dave as a poster, so this isn't directed specifically at him, but nothing unveils the thin skinned posters quite like a banning.

It's not a question of skin thickness. I'm still posting here. I would prefer to know what I did wrong that got me banned. I am not demanding it like it was my right. I was not demanding it like I "owned" the site. I would prefer to know the rules so I can follow them. It would be nice to have a list of example posts that would get you banned. I want to follow the rules if I knew what they were. Some of the stuff posted is very funny. But humor has a way a rubbing people the wrong way. Maybe it is me after all.

I think "I know it when I see it" is a pretty accurate explanation. It worked for the Supreme Court. Appealing to 'humility' is an interesting and thoughtful argument. I enjoyed the read. Sometimes those in authority have to act with authority. They have plenty of opportunity to catch up on humility as they read all the criticism that comes their way because of their position.

The problem with this is its what the mods know when they see it and it sure seems like some mods let things get personal and act a bit childish when called out infront of the board about it. of course the evidence of these things are deleted as are posts where people draw attention to it.

It's not a question of skin thickness. I'm still posting here. I would prefer to know what I did wrong that got me banned. I am not demanding it like it was my right. I was not demanding it like I "owned" the site. I would prefer to know the rules so I can follow them. It would be nice to have a list of example posts that would get you banned. I want to follow the rules if I knew what they were. Some of the stuff posted is very funny. But humor has a way a rubbing people the wrong way. Maybe it is me after all.

hey man, im with you. my computer doesn't let me edit posts but this is what i meant to write:

i like dave as a poster, so this isn't directed specifically at him, but nothing unveils the thin skinned posters quite like a banning. im thin skinned and i was ticked off to the max when i got the boot for the first time. i think my comment was brandon triche needs to pull his head from his arse. so there is one example of something you shouldn't say.

Are you really saying you can't help from doing something or did you misstate what you were trying to say?

To me this comes down to ownership. If you own something, you have the right to make the rules and delegate the rules. OP, if you're not happy with the moderation then one of the solutions is to start your own board and run it they way you envision.

The issue isn't power, the issue is ownership.

I think ownership is a great point but what exactly are the rules and why are they not equally enforced?

i deserve to be it for never having called anyone on here a jack-donkey.

and believe me, theres been plenty of opportunities.

when it comes to bannings, ill speak as the Lou Gehrig to Tristan's Babe Ruth and say...youve got to know what you did.

it might not even be your last post which did it, but you'll find the reason.

The reason given for the banning was language. Calling Seth Davis a Jack Donkey was the only thing I did at the time. I did post some picks of Cheerleaders making "shocker" gestures with their hands. However, this makes me question when a moderator use "darn" and creates an off-topic thread with "Adult World" in the title what did I do wrong?

The reason given for the banning was language. Calling Seth Davis a Jack Donkey was the only thing I did at the time. I did post some picks of Cheerleaders making "shocker" gestures with their hands. However, this makes me question when a moderator use "darn" and creates an off-topic thread with "Adult World" in the title what did I do wrong?

ok, it was a weak banning. move on.

You clearly haven't learned your lesson. Those who speak against the dictators will be given tees.

Then once they have 5-10 on that post said post must be removed as well as the tee's.

hey man, im with you. my computer doesn't let me edit posts but this is what i meant to write:

i like dave as a poster, so this isn't directed specifically at him, but nothing unveils the thin skinned posters quite like a banning. im thin skinned and i was ticked off to the max when i got the boot for the first time. i think my comment was brandon triche needs to pull his head from his arse. so there is one example of something you shouldn't say.

I would think "arse" is the category of "darn". If the meaning of the content can get you banned that's a big envelope. I don't like your Brandon comment but I would not have banned you for it.

are you really ticked off because a mod said "darn"?

or are you just bored?

you meet power with finesse. it' s posting jiu jitsu

You can get away with vulgarities and other things if you are clever about it

patience, young grasshopper, and you will learn the ways of the board.

As funny as this is it is one of my concerns. If you are around long enough and the mods like you or whatever you are much less likely it seems to be enforced for whatever you post.

Then once they have 5-10 on that post said post must be removed as well as the tee's.

When you say "tees" do you mean "Report" link?

are you really ticked off because a mod said "darn"?

or are you just bored?

I'm not ticked of at the moderator. I am just trying to understand the rules and what I did wrong that got me banned. With specific examples and reasons I have a tough time understanding "common sense" and "you should just know" type arguments. I just want to follow the rules.

i like dave as a poster, so this isn't directed specifically at him, but nothing unveils the thin skinned posters quite like a banning.

I would think the really thin skinned posters complain to mods in PM's and never get banned themselves.

i might've tried the brandeis "sunlight is the best disinfectant" or the john locke "marketplace of ideas" appeal before the distinguished panel.

and when that fails to sway the jury then switch quickly to thunder dome mode.
"look at his face! he's got the mind of a child! it's not his fault!"

btBlaster.jpg
"Who rule bartertown" ," You do master blaster."

I'm not ticked of at the moderator. I am just trying to understand the rules and what I did wrong that got me banned. With specific examples and reasons I have a tough time understanding "common sense" and "you should just know" type arguments. I just want to follow the rules.

I got an idea, bro.. And I'm being completely serious here... If you were told that you got banned for calling a dude a jack donkey... dont call dudes jack donkeys anymore...

Call em a Jack Bag

ok, it was a weak banning. move on.

I wasn't going to say anything until I saw the OT thread "Adult World" and the comment it was meant to be a "tease" reference to sexuality. I guess the "comment sense" part of my brain that thought I should have just kept my mouth shut got overruled.

When you say "tees" do you mean "Report" link?
No.

If you're a "Starter" then you really should know what a "tee" is.

I wasn't going to say anything until I saw the OT thread "Adult World" and the comment it was meant to be a "tease" reference to s e x uality. I guess the "comment sense" part of my brain that thought I should have just kept my mouth shut got overruled.

That was labelled OT and was a joke. I get that you would like an explanation for being banned and that you feel things are not equitably enforced across the board on all posters. I also agree with that but you are trying to compare two different things IMO. Posting a supposed profanity is not the same as teasing an Adult store IMO.

we're now on the 3rd page of you complaining about being banned.

just a heads up, youre about to be banned again.

that should help quantify both the 'common sense' and 'you should just know' ban reason conundrum you are dealing with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom