OT: Censorship and Power | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Censorship and Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this is its what the mods know when they see it and it sure seems like some mods let things get personal and act a bit childish when called out infront of the board about it. of course the evidence of these things are deleted as are posts where people draw attention to it.
We have all seen and run away from boards where anything goes. The moderators here perform an invaluable (if at times arbitrary and imperfect) service that keeps life on this board at a high quality. We all get to play here, but within the very broad parameters of what is permitted and what isn't. It's for each of us to figure out what those parameters are. That seems reasonable.

Dave .. I gotta be honest. A picture of a cheerleader doing the shocker symbol is a bit different than a verbal inuendo. Not calling you out at all just saying buddy. I will concur if that is all you did maybe the banishment seems a bit harsh. Maybe it was an ongoing trend of things you did along that line that led to it. I am no insider to anyone and posted a lot of stuff borderline in the past few years with no banishment. So its likely a pattern of things. Otherwise I don't know but if it were me I would send a PM to the mods to kindly ask what I did. I prefer to get to the point directly. In this instance we don't know who it was that banished you or the entire story so being so arbitrary is not ideal. Its not necessarily and entire board problem if we don't know the whole story.

I would just like to know if we are going to start up a new pissing and moaning session about how the board is run every couple of days. I understand the whole don't read/don't click if you're not interested, but it's getting a little tiresome with seeing someone complaining about the mods or what they are doing every two days.

If you have questions, send one of the mods a PM. I feel like this is Les Mis and people are trying to get a feel for how close the revolution is to starting.

What I see as the issues:

1) The TOS is terrible. At least in terms of online message boards, it's not a good TOS, it reads more like a legal disclaimer, which shouldn't be what a message board TOS is for. The better TOS' on the internet go through the rules on each section, in terms of what is spam, what is defamatory, etc. The only ones that don't have a much more open TOS, in the sense that those places police themselves or have one or two golden rules.

2) The mod to user ratio is bad. There's one mod to ever 350 users, which is a ridiculously small ratio in my experience modding elsewhere. This could lend itself to overmodding, but I don't know about site stats or what board ops are in place

3) The mod base is a rather steady constant and unchanging, for the large part. I only joined up four years or so ago but it seems that it's been the same mods for onto a decade or so. I can see how this can engender a contentious relationship between a userbase and mod team, as I've really never been involved on a board that didn't regularly rotate moderators (admins are a different issue, but around here it seems an interchangeable distinction)

We have all seen and run away from boards where anything goes. The moderators here perform an invaluable (if at times arbitrary and imperfect) service that keeps life on this board at a high quality. We all get to play here, but within the very broad parameters of what is permitted and what isn't. It's for each of us to figure out what those parameters are. That seems reasonable.

It would be reasonable if everyone figured out that the same things were allowed or not allowed. I'm not too sure that is the case. For yhe record I've never been banned. I've had my share of posts deleted and a few threads.

No.

If you're a "Starter" then you really should know what a "tee" is.

Someone once asked me, "can I ask you a stupid question?" I replied, "those are the only kind I can answer!"

I would just like to know if we are going to start up a new pissing and moaning session about how the board is run every couple of days. I understand the whole don't read/don't click if you're not interested, but it's getting a little tiresome with seeing someone complaining about the mods or what they are doing every two days.

If you have questions, send one of the mods a PM. I feel like this is Les Mis and people are trying to get a feel for how close the revolution is to starting.

5-v2game_2013-08-03_03-31-03-76.png

This thread has become redundant and has outlived its usefulness. Several posters have asked me to lock it. So be it. It will be locked. And, please do not start "son of thread."

Let's talk about our 24-0 team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors