OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week)

The phallus issue the BT has is wanting to latch onto ND's root.

You are correct that the vote makes no sense, unless the purpose is top make certain that Texas - rumored in a few corners to be ready to bolt the Big 12 if that league could not get a shot at some kind of extra goody without paying for 2 more teams that Texas does not find s e xy enough. Texas is nit going to the SEC, so the SEC wants Texas OK with the Big 12. Texas would go Pac before the BT, and take an ND type deal with the ACC before going BT. So the BT wants Texas OK with the Big 12.
Wouldn't they be happy to take Oklahoma though?

Wouldn't they be happy to take Oklahoma though?
Yes, but would OU go BT without Texas? That is not a certainty. OU and KU to the BT would work well for both those schools in many ways, but each would need to spend a lot of political capital to shear off its Ag college brother. For Ou. spending that capital and also losing any conference way to keep a close eye on Texas may be too high a price.

But even if OU would make that move, the BT is scared shitless of a Texas deal with the ACC like ND has. That scares the BT much more than Texas and OU to the Pac.

Yes, but would OU go BT without Texas? That is not a certainty. OU and KU to the BT would work well for both those schools in many ways, but each would need to spend a lot of political capital to shear off its Ag college brother. For Ou. spending that capital and also losing any conference way to keep a close eye on Texas may be too high a price.

But even if OU would make that move, the BT is scared shitless of a Texas deal with the ACC like ND has. That scares the BT much more than Texas and OU to the Pac.
I'd make a deal with the devil if somehow Penn State would join the ACC and ND goes all in. Not even so much for the value to the conference but just to F with the B1G.

What a load of horse crap.

Why does the ACC put up with this? Seriously, they should just align however the F they want and tell the NCAA to pound salt. I doubt there is any contractual language where doing so would prevent an ACC team from appearing in the playoff. What consequence would there be?

Why does the ACC put up with this? Seriously, they should just align however the F they want and tell the NCAA to pound salt. I doubt there is any contractual language where doing so would prevent an ACC team from appearing in the playoff. What consequence would there be?
Still have two divisions but it's the two highest ranked teams going to the Championship game. F em. Exactly - what are they going to do?

So, if we rotate teams in divisions, to get us all around to everyone quicker than we can do now, we have to do so in a way that prevents anyone from getting livid. Van it be done?

As simple as possible is best. Alsacs dividing the league into 2 basic divisions, one of the 6 teams in NC and VA and the other of the 8 teams in other states, is the only way to start. And his division of the NC-VA group into UNC-Dook-UVA and Moo-Wake-VT is also perfect. Those groups of 3, then, will always be in opposite divisions. Then you have permanent cross-divisional rivals: UNC-Moo; Dook-Wake; UVA-VT.

Can we get GT and Dook to give up their annual game? If not, it all falls apart. Dook should see the benefits, but GT people are, as every old SEC fan base will attest, a strange bunch as likely as not to cut off their own nose to spite their face.

The next matter is arranging the 8 into annual cross divisional rivalries so those games can be preserved. FSU-Miami and Clemson-GT are obvious, and both of those games are annual musts. I think the league then would prefer that Cuse be paired with BC (2 private schools in border states, the 2 most northerly in the ACC) and Pitt with Louisville (2 river towns).

Simple would be 2 groups of 4 that swap every 2nd year:

FSU-Miami
Clemson-GT
BC-Cuse
Louisville-Pitt

It might seem that the left side will be a permanently tougher 4some, but Richt is a nice coaching upgrade at Miami and could have the Canes back to Top 10 by his 2nd year. Narduzzi is the best Pitt HC since Jackie Sherrill. He could make Pitt a permanent bowl team able to make a run for a division title a couple of times per decade. Babers is a potential game changer for Cuse. He could assemble enough talent on offense to make that dome a show place. And PJ's offense always causes trouble, making GT a tough out even when not very good - see the FSU game this past season. And when all goes well for PJ, he can finish Top 10 with 2 Ws over Top 10 SEC teams.

WE have to. We have the smallest average student body of P5 leagues, and it isn't close.

If ND were to come aboard for football fully, that would change. Then the ACC would have enough clout to call out the BT and its pet the NCAA. Never forget that the NCAA used to share office space with the BT.

Just follow my template and its the 3+5+5 with divisions.

I mean Georgia Tech-Duke instead of playing annually would play 3 times in 6 years. That isn't a destruction of the rivalry.

I think the template I laid out is to the advantage of every school. They would play home/home with everyone over 4 years.

I mean Georgia Tech-Duke instead of playing annually would play 3 times in 6 years. That isn't a destruction of the rivalry.

I think the template I laid out is to the advantage of every school. They would play home/home with everyone over 4 years.
I mean I trust our long time ACC folks on here, but who had any idea Duke - Ga Tech was a thing?

I mean I trust our long time ACC folks on here, but who had any idea Duke - Ga Tech was a thing?
I actually did as a couple of summers ago I posted on the GT skout board which has a great ACC general discussion thread. I learned they really value their Duke rivalry game.

I don't know if the GT administration is as adamant as those GT fans on their board were about it. I don't know if Duke cares about it as much as GT does. If the GT was lobbied I don't know if they would put as much a fight but the GT skout fanbase really cared about that game.

I actually did as a couple of summers ago I posted on the GT skout board which has a great ACC general discussion thread. I learned they really value their Duke rivalry game.

I don't know if the GT administration is as adamant as those GT fans on their board were about it. I don't know if Duke cares about it as much as GT does. If the GT was lobbied I don't know if they would put as much a fight but the GT skout fanbase really cared about that game.
Wonder what the history is to that because on its face it's just odd. Perhaps a panty raid gone wrong in the 50s.

Wonder what the history is to that because on its face it's just odd. Perhaps a panty raid gone wrong in the 50s.
They explained it on the GT board. I think its been an annual game for so long for them that they like the history. Also beating Duke pretty much every year for them has to been an extra benefit for them.

They explained it on the GT board. I think its been an annual game for so long for them that they like the history. Also beating Duke pretty much every year for them has to been an extra benefit for them.
They've been playing each other every year since 1937. Ga Tech was in the Southeastern Conference and dook was in the Southern Conference.

The GT administration may not be as nuts as the average GT internet fan. But this is the school that left the SEC in a fit of self-righteous fury, certain it would be the Notre Dame of the South as an independent.

GT fans see the Dook game as meaningful because they lost almost all their historically most important games when leaving the SEC: Auburn, Bama, Tennessee. Only UGA has remained annual, and none of the rest are more than a couple of times per decade. That much I respect. But GT people are the type to take a stand just to prove that math nerds are too smart to be pushed around.

Dook wouldn't give 2 flips about not playing GT annually. Dook's desire for annual football games probably is this, in order: UNC, UVA, Wake, Moo.

But GT people are the type to take a stand just to prove that math nerds are too smart to be pushed around.
Perhaps they* can come up with a better alternative. ;)

* full disclosure: my son is a current GA Tech student.

Hell they could play the other three years as non counter conference games.

I get that we joined their conference - but not doing a smart thing for everyone because GT and Duke want to protect a "rivalry" when they already have other games "they must play" gets old.

Sacrifice for the good of the conference. We lost WVU, Rutgers, Miami, VaTech, etc.

I doubt the ACC will want to change divisions every year. The fairest thing to to is divide by geography with each division getting a team from a particular region. In a way the divisions are very much like this already. So split Florida (FSU-Miami), split the South (Clemson-GA Tech), split Carolina (Duke-NC State-UNC-Wake), split Virginia (UVA-VA Tech), split the West (Louisville-Pitt), and split the North (BC-SU). Trying to protect as many rivalries as possible, you get:

Atlantic: Miami, Clemson, NC State, Wake, VA Tech, Pitt, SU

Coastal: FSU, GA Tech, UNC, Duke, UVA, Louisville, BC

I think the schools would be happy with this. It is relatively balanced and splits the private schools evenly.

I get that we joined their conference - but not doing a smart thing for everyone because GT and Duke want to protect a "rivalry" when they already have other games "they must play" gets old.

Sacrifice for the good of the conference. We lost WVU, Rutgers, Miami, VaTech, etc.
Not to mention, Georgetown

Georgia Tech's longest active football rivalry series are:

Georgia 110 games
Duke 83 games
Clemson 81 games

Duke is an important game for Georgia Tech. Auburn and Alabama have long series too from SEC days, but they are inactive.

After those, it's North Carolina 51 games, and Tulane 50 games. It wouldn't surprise me if Georgia Tech has brought up Tulane's name before during Conference Realignment discussions in the ACC.

Last edited:

I'd like to see the ACC potentially go back and get WVU at some point to restore that one with several ACC members. If Maryland had been more forthcoming about its intentions, we may have been able to have done so already before WVU ran off to the Big XII.

If the ACC can get to a better scheduling model, you can get Miami and VT more often. Rutgers is likely gone.

Btstimpy said:
I'd like to see the ACC potentially go back and get WVU at some point to restore that one with several ACC members. If Maryland had been more forthcoming about its intentions, we may have been able to have done so already before WVU ran off to the Big XII. If the ACC can get to a better scheduling model, you can get Miami and VT more often. Rutgers is likely gone.

Yeah, give me WVU back. That was a great rivalry for us, even if they had Pitt as primary.

They served their time as an outpost. Bring them back east.

I'll take them over UConn 7 million times over.

Why doesn't the ACC split off from Big 12 in this and propose minimum teams stays at 12, but conferences with at least 12 teams can decide how they want to align their divisions and stage their championship game.

What's the downside for the other P5 leagues? Big 12 gets nothing out of it. SEC, B1G and Pac 12 would have that flexibility should they ever want it.

Ok so I just read the whole article. Cancel what I said, didn't realize the other conferences were just against ACC flexibility, not the Big 12 staying at 10.

Good to see those whiny flip flopping commissioners worry about the ACC.

ACC's response should be to immediately split FSU and Clemson. Can always switch them back. Just keep switching things around. Is there a rule about rearranging who is in your divisions? (If not, I'm sure there will be soon).