OT: Covid Conundrum- the XMas edition. | Syracusefan.com

OT: Covid Conundrum- the XMas edition.

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
So….wake up Xmas morning, go downstairs to get my cuppa Java and my wife is already there, not unusual for a typical family Xmas morning, but she looks at me and says; “Has she told you yet”?
Well apparently my junior-in-college daughter had just heard from her bf, the one she’d just come back from a ski trip with the day before, that he’d tested positive for Covid.
Now here’s the thing: My son and his wife had arrived the night before & my other son was planning to arrive that afternoon. I for one had spent the previous day w/ my daughter Xmas shopping, so now all bets were off- we needed to get tested…pronto!
So after notifying all friends and relatives that we were off limits for Xmas, we find the only open drive thru testing spot in Charlotte, register online, and head out.
When we get there, I kid you not, we find a mile long line of cars snaking down Freedom Rd. Unreal.
Having no other choice since i need a rapid test before Monday to see if i can even go back to work, we go to the end of the line.
After 3 hours waiting in the car- talking, laughing, arguing as a family often does on Xmas day, we get near the front and, you guessed it, they ran out of tests & we’re isht outta luck!
No other recourse left but to head home, attempt to have some semblance of a Xmas day, & return…today.
And yes, as I write this, we’re sitting in our car…again, having been here now since 8:00am, waiting on line, still not tested and moving at a snail’s pace.
This has been the…oddest Xmas on record for our Fam, and only further illustrates how much of a SOB this Covid can be.
Wish us luck….and a belated merry Xmas to all!

Last edited:
So….wake up Xmas morning, go downstairs to get my cuppa Java and my wife’s fed is already there, not unusual for a typical family Xmas morning, but she looks at me and says; “Has she told you yet”?
Well apparently my junior-in-college daughter had just heard from her bf, the one she’d just come back from a ski trip with the day before, that he’d tested positive for Covid.
Now here’s the thing: My son and his wife had arrived the night before & my other son was planning to arrive that afternoon. I for one had spent the previous day w/ my daughter Xmas shopping, so now all bets were off- we needed to get test…pronto!
So after notifying all friends and relatives they we were off limits for Xmas, we find the only open drive thru testing spot in Charlotte, register online, and head out.
When we get there, I kid you not, we find a mile long line of cars snaking down Freedom Rd. Unreal.
Having no other choice since i need a rapid test before Monday to see if i can even go back to work, we get to the end of the line.
After 3 hours waiting in the car- talking, laughing, arguing as a family often does on Xmas morning, we get near the front and, you guessed it, they ran out of tests & we’re isht outta luck!
No other recourse left but to head home, attempt to have some semblance of a Xmas day, & return…today.
And yes, we’re in our car having been here now since 8:00, waiting on line, still not tested and moving at a snail’s pace. This has been the…oddest Xmas on record for our Fam, and only further illustrates how much of an SOB this Covid can be.
Good luck. I'm thinking negative thoughts for you. ;)

For everyone else out there thinking of posting in this thread...

Al Roker Im watching you.gif

So….wake up Xmas morning, go downstairs to get my cuppa Java and my wife’s is already there, not unusual for a typical family Xmas morning, but she looks at me and says; “Has she told you yet”?
Now here’s the thing: My son and his wife had arrived the night before & my other son was planning to arrive that afternoon. I for one had spent the previous day w/ my daughter Xmas shopping, so now all bets were off- we needed to get tested…pronto!
So after notifying all friends and relatives they we were off limits for Xmas, we find the only open drive thru testing spot in Charlotte, register online, and head out.
Having no other choice since i need a rapid test before Monday to see if i can even go back to work, we go to the end of the line.
After 3 hours waiting in the car- talking, laughing, arguing as a family often does on Xmas day, we get near the front and, you guessed it, they ran out of tests & we’re isht outta luck!
And yes, as I write this, we’re sitting in our car…again, having been here now since 8:00am, waiting on line, still not tested and moving at a snail’s pace.
This has been the…oddest Xmas on record for our Fam, and only further illustrates how much of an SOB this Covid can be.
Oh man. Good luck!

So….wake up Xmas morning, go downstairs to get my cuppa Java and my wife’s is already there, not unusual for a typical family Xmas morning, but she looks at me and says; “Has she told you yet”?
So after notifying all friends and relatives that we were off limits for Xmas, we find the only open drive thru testing spot in Charlotte, register online, and head out.
This has been the…oddest Xmas on record for our Fam, and only further illustrates how much of an SOB this Covid can be.
Good luck DB. Sorry for your ruined holiday.

Best of luck. I have a couple good friends whose Xmas got ruined due to a sudden onset of Covid. Really couldn't come at a worse time.

people should go to pharmacy, get covid at home test, 80-something percent accurate

Thats what we did. Got several of them a few weeks ago. Having 23 and 24 year old kids we were concerned. Only had 5 people at the house yesterday besides my wife and I. As each person showed up they stayed in their car, my wife went out to give them a swab to use, she’d bring it inside and run the test. 15 mins later we would text them their result. Pretty easy process. Fortunately they all looked like this.

B15265AC-2A70-4786-AD29-C0B888483919.jpeg

Good luck!

Most places are sold out of at-home tests.

Fortunately we had quite a few and were able test many many times as a cold whipped through the holiday house. 0-16 so we’re accepting that as a cold and not COVID.

people should go to pharmacy, get covid at home test, 80-something percent accurate
We immediately ordered a few from Amazon but we won’t get them till Tuesday, & I needed an answer, tout suite.
Any case, good news update is that we all tested negative for the rapid test, and we also took the backup test which is more accurate. Those results take 72 hrs.
All in all, it’s been one hell of a Xmas. Whatta u gonna do? Lol

Just an FYI for locals. Just drive by the strip mall at the corner of old Liverpool road and Henry clay and they have their tent out there for drive thru testing. We’re only 3 cars at the time. 15 min rapid test. I’m sure you’ll have to pay the $65 up front but can get reimbursed thru your insurance company.

Also, Kinney drugs has started to restocked their shelves with at home tests. Couple stores already have them with the rest restocking this week. I’d call first to see which ones have them. Start with Kinneys in bayberry.

Wow, Dr. B, I am in Charlotte now but hoping to go home on Tuesday and get Covid there, if I damn have to get it. I am also hoping to go to both bball games this week. Fingers crossed for all of us!

So….wake up Xmas morning, go downstairs to get my cuppa Java and my wife is already there, not unusual for a typical family Xmas morning, but she looks at me and says; “Has she told you yet”?
This has been the…oddest Xmas on record for our Fam, and only further illustrates how much of a SOB this Covid can be.

Tough day for sure. I have to be that guy though... A negative test for you doesn't really mean anything though does it? It would tell you if you were somehow coincidentally already covid pos but not really shed much conclusive light on whether you contracted in the last day or so would it? My understanding from supervising employees on and off of quarantine lists for the past 18 months is that you could be actually exposed to it from your daughter, caught it, will develop it, etc but it could be days (up to 7 or 10 maybe?) where you could still test negative? I dunno. Just from the way all this has been handled at my workplace, there would be no real reason to put yourself through all this right now as the only conclusive answer at this stage would be positive. A negative test essentially doesn't mean anything. Maybe my info on this is all science from August and now we understand viruses better than we did back then.

I contracted COVID from a 24hr stint in NYC 10 days ago. Testing is a mess. At homes are completely out of stock and so it goes. I normally have my 3yr daughter on Xmas, but for this Xmas I had to quarantine solo. Be safe everyone.

I contracted COVID from a 24hr stint in NYC 10 days ago. Testing is a mess. At homes are completely out of stock and so it goes. I normally have my 3yr daughter on Xmas, but for this Xmas I had to quarantine solo. Be safe everyone.
Where do you think that you got it in NYC? Mass transmit, during a meeting, unknown?

Tough day for sure. I have to be that guy though... A negative test for you doesn't really mean anything though does it? It would tell you if you were somehow coincidentally already covid pos but not really shed much conclusive light on whether you contracted in the last day or so would it? My understanding from supervising employees on and off of quarantine lists for the past 18 months is that you could be actually exposed to it from your daughter, caught it, will develop it, etc but it could be days (up to 7 or 10 maybe?) where you could still test negative? I dunno. Just from the way all this has been handled at my workplace, there would be no real reason to put yourself through all this right now as the only conclusive answer at this stage would be positive. A negative test essentially doesn't mean anything. Maybe my info on this is all science from August and now we understand viruses better than we did back then.
All good points, HC. It’s policy at my firm to report any possible exposure, and show proof of testing after said exposure. That’s the main reason I needed the rapid test today, otherwise I couldn’t go to work tomorrow morning.
I’m in charge of an entire on-site facility and this is a very big week for us. If I decide to test again in a few days, that’s a whole nother story, but as of now at least I’m covered re; liability issues and such, for the upcoming week.

We immediately ordered a few from Amazon but we won’t get them till Tuesday, & I needed an answer, tout suite.
Any case, good news update is that we all tested negative for the rapid test, and we also took the backup test which is more accurate. Those results take 72 hrs.
All in all, it’s been one hell of a Xmas. Whatta u gonna do? Lol
Walgreens in Charlotte area tends to have them. I bought 4 online and grabed 2 more for my trip to Syracuse. Unfortunately we ended up staying here. Another Christmas messed up by COVID for my family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom