OT: David Stern stepping down | Syracusefan.com

OT: David Stern stepping down

Eric15

Living Legend
February 1st is David Stern's last day as NBA Commissioner. Which begs the question, is he the greatest Commissioner in U.S. sports history? The difference between what the NBA was when he took over in the early 80s and what it is today is extraordinary.

Silver, sterns successor, his daughter went to SU. She was friends with my buddy who went to ESF.

Pete Rozelle was the better Commissioner IMO. David Stern #2. Stern became Commissioner the same year Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton entered the NBA. It was the high point of the Magic vs. Bird rivalry era. Stern smartly for the sake of his league started marketing the individual star players to height the league's popularity. However, I think the NBA is no where near as popular as the NFL and that is because of the work of Rozelle who successfully handled the AFL-NFL merger, created the Super Bowl, created the salary cap to make parity possible, somehow survived Al Davis. I think the NBA has done a good job since Lebron has gone off but the stretch from 1994-1996 and 1998-2007 featured a lot of bad basketball and the referee Tom Donaghy scandal really got the NBA off lightly. I think the NBA has dabbled a little into pro wrestling when it assigned refs like Dick Bevetta to critical games. I think the Sacramento Kings were ABSOLUTELY ROBBED of a title in 2002 by the referees and I am sure the NBA didn't tell them to do it, but it didn't hurt to have the big market LA team in the Finals. So I would go 1. Pete Rozelle 2. David Stern 3. evil Jim Delany.

Never get tired of this, lol. Love his stupid grins.

Coolest story I've ever heard. If you wrote a book about it, definite best-seller.

Just ragging on ya :)
I have thousands of them.

One time when I was six, first time I can recollect being on a skateboard. Thought I could roll over a stick. Sass over teakettle...I died.

Think I'm going with Rozelle. Though Stern has been great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom