OT: decline of newspapers | Syracusefan.com

OT: decline of newspapers

SBU72

All Conference
I hear newspapers becry their decline caused by the rise of the internet but here is an example why it is happening too. This mornings Rochester D&C , a Ganette paper, had the following. They have a college bball section discussing top 25 games. The headline was Virginia's win at Duke. It had 3 small paragraphs plus a captioned picture about the game. No where did they give the score! Nada. All other games were headed by the score but not the headline game. Great reporting guys.

It really is kind of mind boggling that newspapers are still printed and sold. Between the amount of paper and other resources that are wasted, the costs of the delivery system and the time lag in delivering the news to the ultimate consumer it is a medium that has outlived its usefulness.

It really is kind of mind boggling that newspapers are still printed and sold. Between the amount of paper and other resources that are wasted, the costs of the delivery system and the time lag in delivering the news to the ultimate consumer it is a medium that has outlived its usefulness.

Hard to disagree as long as we are speaking of the paper (physical object) and not the organization. Media gets a ton of criticism — often fairly — but places like the NYT are indispensable. He’ll, the Indianapolis star deserves a lot of credit for the Nasser investigation. Hope that isn’t lost entirely to twitter and whatnot.

It would help if most papers had the same online presence and were as easy to read online as they are in print.. But most papers today have moved the deadline up for scores so early they are 1-2 days behind in reporting things and local sports are lucky to be included at all in many. i still get the paper and read it and hardly ever look on line since you miss so many stories on line.

All true, sadly.
But the loss of classified advertising to Craigslist...and other advertising to Facebook and Google are killing most traditional papers.
They're not much more than shells in so many places (Syracuse and Rochester, for example).
The same for their websites.
It's a continuing downward spiral with fewer people and less and less strong reporting.
TV News isn't that far behind.

Maybe it's the ESF paper science guy in me, but I love the smell of newsprint in the morning.
I also love the freshness of the news on the internet, but it's sometimes errant.
There is a huge segment that don't use the internet.

All true, sadly.
But the loss of classified advertising to Craigslist...and other advertising to Facebook and Google are killing most traditional papers.
They're not much more than shells in so many places (Syracuse and Rochester, for example).
The same for their websites.
It's a continuing downward spiral with fewer people and less and less strong reporting.
TV News isn't that far behind.

Most papers can’t afford editors anymore. So we’ll continue to see reports in the paper and online with missing scores and other errors. I worked in newspapers for 20 years. It’s a shame what’s happened. But we all lose in the long run.

Hard to disagree as long as we are speaking of the paper (physical object) and not the organization. Media gets a ton of criticism — often fairly — but places like the NYT are indispensable. He’ll, the Indianapolis star deserves a lot of credit for the Nasser investigation. Hope that isn’t lost entirely to twitter and whatnot.

Yes. I believe that the institutions themselves when funded properly perform (used to perform) a function not being performed reliably elsewhere today.

Yes, we can get information quickly through Twitter and other social media applications, but it is really hard for the masses to recognize which of those sources are credible and worthy of being believed. Look no further than 45's twitter feed for the evidence that much of what gets posted to social media, even when from sources that one should expect to be reliable, is absolute crap. Then you also have the "news" sources that have decided to give in to the pursuit of ratings allowing it to impact what they report as fact.

I am in front of a computer screen much of the day. I don't want to read my newspaper there. Thank goodness the D&C has loads of car advertisements and still prints seven days a week.

Maybe it's the ESF paper science guy in me, but I love the smell of newsprint in the morning.
I also love the freshness of the news on the internet, but it's sometimes errant.

At least it doesn't wind up in a mud puddle. (It was always important to get the paper boy to like you.)

Syracuse paper is only three times a week. Nearly everything in them I’ve already read via their Facebook page or online. Sometimes weeks after, like they just need to fill open spaces in the paper.

I'm interested to see what happens to local investigations. The national ones will always be covered, but what about finding those corrupt state house representatives?

I hear newspapers becry their decline caused by the rise of the internet but here is an example why it is happening too. This mornings Rochester D&C , a Ganette paper, had the following. They have a college bball section discussing top 25 games. The headline was Virginia's win at Duke. It had 3 small paragraphs plus a captioned picture about the game. No where did they give the score! Nada. All other games were headed by the score but not the headline game. Great reporting guys.

I used to see those same issues in our local paper up here in BTV as well. I think they are cutting and pasting from larger stories, but aren't smart enough to grab all of the truly important details from the original article.

You have to see all the typos in our paper. It's silly.

the delivery system bought me my first bike. are you against american jobs ?

One of mine as well.

But kids don't have those jobs anymore. Adults deliver the paper in their cars in my town.

Everyone - if you get a paper delivered, who delivers it?

One of mine as well.

But kids don't have those jobs anymore. Adults deliver the paper in their cars in my town.

Everyone - if you get a paper delivered, who delivers it?

From the looks of things, some adult who drives recklessly in a loud car who probably would've had a middle-class manufacturing career a generation ago. (Full disclosure - he's going to other neighbors on the block. We don't subscribe.)

From the looks of things, some adult who drives recklessly in a loud car who probably would've had a middle-class manufacturing career a generation ago. (Full disclosure - he's going to other neighbors on the block. We don't subscribe.)

Yup. They fly around our neighborhood at 4-5 am every morning, gunning the car from one stop to the next.

We get the Wash Post and the WSJ delivered daily. And we get the Sunday NYT delivered. This gives us internet access to all three when we are out of the country.

Reading a newspaper on the sun porch with coffee is a great pleasure. You spread it out scan it, and pick out the things that interest you more and delve into them.

I read a lot more of the paper than I would have if I had been staring at a screen and picking my way through.

But the printed copies of newspapers and home delivery are unquestionably dying and changing for the worse as they die. The degree of political partisanship that has crept from the Opinion pages even into the sports pages is incredible to me.

We get the Wash Post and the WSJ delivered daily. And we get the Sunday NYT delivered. This gives us internet access to all three when we are out of the country.

Reading a newspaper on the sun porch with coffee is a great pleasure. You spread it out scan it, and pick out the things that interest you more and delve into them.

I read a lot more of the paper than I would have if I had been staring at a screen and picking my way through.

But the printed copies of newspapers and home delivery are unquestionably dying and changing for the worse as they die. The degree of political partisanship that has crept from the Opinion pages even into the sports pages is incredible to me.

It's true: When you read a newspaper you see what's in the paper, (obviously, you paid good money for it: you want to get the most out of it. Normally when you go to the internet you are looking for some specific thing. Something might catch your eye but it's often "click bait" that isn't really news.

Why use those obsolete people when you can just hit a button and publish after you finish writing and (maybe) spellchecking?
The computer spell checker is one of the worst culprits in today's newspapers.

The computer spell checker is one of the worst culprits in today's newspapers.
I never send a story to the web without spellchecking.
Then re-read it.
Then it goes past another pair of eyes.
Want to avoid the kind of tie-pose I make here. :)