OT: decline of newspapers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: decline of newspapers

It would help if most papers had the same online presence and were as easy to read online as they are in print.. But most papers today have moved the deadline up for scores so early they are 1-2 days behind in reporting things and local sports are lucky to be included at all in many. i still get the paper and read it and hardly ever look on line since you miss so many stories on line.
If it's over after 9:30 the night before, it ain't in the my morning paper, even the online addition.
Another instance, I remember listening to a Roch Red Wing game 2 summers ago. Just the bottom half of the inning. The red Wings scored twice. the following morning, the paper had it all wrong on how the team scored. A local team playing a local game and they can't even get some stringer to cover it? And that was a 15 minute segment of the game, who knows what else they got wrong.

We get the Wash Post and the WSJ delivered daily. And we get the Sunday NYT delivered. This gives us internet access to all three when we are out of the country.

Reading a newspaper on the sun porch with coffee is a great pleasure. You spread it out scan it, and pick out the things that interest you more and delve into them.

I read a lot more of the paper than I would have if I had been staring at a screen and picking my way through.

But the printed copies of newspapers and home delivery are unquestionably dying and changing for the worse as they die. The degree of political partisanship that has crept from the Opinion pages even into the sports pages is incredible to me.

Reading the NY tabs out on my deck on summer Sunday afternoons used to be something I always looked forward to. I still get the Phila Inquirer on Sundays and a few days a week that I visit my Dad who is 97 and still finishes the crossword everyday. Philly.com is pay now but there are some columnists and features that I still enjoy.

On a somewhat related note, the Daily Racing Form is no longer sold at either of my Mom & Pop local newsstands.

The reason why papers are delivered by guys in car ... rather than by "newsboys"...

Most of the newsboys delivered afternoon newspapers after school. They did not deliver morning papers at 5 a.m.

There are virtually NO afternoon papers left in the U.S. It was a matter of economics for the industry.

When I was growing up in Westchester County, every community of a reasonable size had an afternoon paper. There were like 12 of them. Today, Westchester has ONE morning newspaper (the Journal News). And no afternoon papers.

In NYC, there were three afternoon papers ... The Journal American, The World Telegram and Sun, and the NY Post. The Post became a morning paper; the other two went out of business after an ill-fated merger with Herald Tribune.

The same thing is true throughout the country.

Last edited:
The reason why papers are delivered by guys in car ... rather than by "newsboys"...

Most of the newsboys delivered afternoon newspapers after school. They did not deliver morning papers at 5 a.m.

There are virtually NO afternoon papers left in the U.S. It was a matter of economics for the industry.

When I was growing up in Westchester County, every community of a reasonable size had an afternoon paper. There were like 12 of them. Today, Westchester has ONE morning newspaper (the Journal News). And no afternoon papers.

In NYC, there were three afternoon papers ... The Journal American, The World Telegram and Sun, and the NY Post. The Post became a morning paper; the other two went out of business after an ill-fated merger with Herald Tribune.

So true...I delivered the afternoon paper for 3-4 years before Journal Star went to morning only.

the fogies are indeed stealing all the jobs school aged kids once held . damn you AARP and your BURGER KING LEAR !

94-year-old-Loraine-Maurer-has-been-working-at-McDonalds-for-44-years-and-has-no-plans-of-retiring-a.jpg

these are ENTRY LEVEL jobs not EXIT LEVEL !

the fogies are indeed stealing all the jobs school aged kids once held . damn you AARP !

94-year-old-Loraine-Maurer-has-been-working-at-McDonalds-for-44-years-and-has-no-plans-of-retiring-a.jpg

these are ENTRY LEVEL jobs not EXIT LEVEL !

Work hard.

Save.

Live within your means.

This could be you.

We used to have the Post Standard as the morning paper and the Herald Journal as the evening paper. The Herald was considered the better of the two. The Post was nicknamed the "Sub-Standard". Then they combined them into one and it was the name "Post Standard" that was retained. The evening paper seemed to have more depth while the morning paper was dominated by the need to be there in the morning.

So true...I delivered the afternoon paper for 3-4 years before Journal Star went to morning only.

I delivered the Troy Record as a kid. Had two routes at 12 years old. It was an afternoon paper as well.

sad state of affairs when TRUE GRIT newspaper is delivered by a rooster cogburn lookalike.