OT:Exactly WTFrick are the Knicks doing??? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT:Exactly WTFrick are the Knicks doing???

I actually think they could contend for a playoff spot next season if they can get their crap in a bag.

Anything is possible in the East. They have had so many missed opportunities drafting in the past years.

This year, I don't mind Isaac. Wish they tanked and got a higher pick, but didn't really want Monk. Wanted Tatum, or Fox. Of course 6th was the worst spot. Just miss on 5 players capable of beings stars. Collins would have been nice, but Isaac could be good.

I like Iwundu in the 2nd. They had/have some talent, but it just never comes together. Not sure their plan when they had so many picks, and only made two.

What is the point of that deal? I don't get the years, the cash, etc. What other team was hungering after Ron Baker?

It really makes no sense. He's a RFA, they would have had the ability to match any offer he got.

It really makes no sense. He's a RFA, they would have had the ability to match any offer he got.
I'm no capologist but didn't they have him under contract for a million but they needed money to sign Hardaway so they waive him and then re-sign him for over 4 times his old salary using one of their exemptions that is allowed under the contract agreements. IT'S RON BAKER - what are they doing?

I'm no capologist but didn't they have him under contract for a million but they needed money to sign Hardaway so they waive him and then re-sign him for over 4 times his old salary using one of their exemptions that is allowed under the contract agreements. IT'S RON BAKER - what are they doing?

I've seen conflicting versions. They definitely signed him using the room exception, so you are correct on that. Not sure if they renounced his rights for Hardaway. Not sure he was under control.

Ok did some, like, actual research. Sounds like they did renounce the right to offer him the QO, essentially meaning he wasn't a RFA, then signed him using the room exception. They didn't have him under control for a million next year, they had the right to make an offer for like 1.5 that would give them the right to match any offer he got.

The Knicks are a mess and will continue to be a mess as long as the fans watch and attend games. Dolan knows he has nothing to worry about because people want to be seen. The cash will keep flowing in.

Phil Jackson deliberately sabotaged the Knicks going forward with this draft. The French kid had never been seen by Hornacek or anyone on his staff, so he has no idea what he's going to be working with. Making matters worse, he was injured in the French league final and hasn't been able to practice or play in Summer League. Jackson looked for someone who could be a triangle oriented guard instead of going with Smith or Monk, two athletic guards who can not only push the ball up the court, but create their own shot if needed.

Post-Jackson, the moves have been strange too. Signing Hardaway Jr. to a 4 year/$71 million deal and offering Waiters less when Dion actually has a better track record as a starter (Cleveland pre-LeBron added) and looks to be getting better especially after being in tip top basketball shape this past season despite the ankle sprain. Lastly, instead of fielding an offer to Rondo and pushing Rose out of town (which was stupid given his 18, 4 and 4 in 62 games), they waste the rest of their cap space on Ron Baker. They'll be lucky to win 30 games next season. Trade Melo now and acquire some assets for the lengthy rebuild.

I've seen conflicting versions. They definitely signed him using the room exception, so you are correct on that. Not sure if they renounced his rights for Hardaway. Not sure he was under control.

Ok did some, like, actual research. Sounds like they did renounce the right to offer him the QO, essentially meaning he wasn't a RFA, then signed him using the room exception. They didn't have him under control for a million next year, they had the right to make an offer for like 1.5 that would give them the right to match any offer he got.
Thank you for doing the leg work on that. Deal still makes no sense - nobody would have offered more than 1.5 IMHO.

Here's what I've always wondered. How did the Rangers escape this fate? Does Dolan not care about hockey and just stay out of the way?

Dolan stays out of the way. The Knicks are the money maker despite the Rangers drawing a lot of revenue, it's not close to what the Knicks draw.

considering it looks like the Rangers are going to waste next season too because we now have no depth down the middle, including exactly 0.0 1Cs on the roster, yeah...things are peachy

I disagree. The defense is better which has been their Achilles heel since Cup run in 2014. The acquisition of Shattenkirk on the right side in tandem with McDonagh is going to give New York one of the best blue lines in the league. Staal should be moved down to the third line despite his immense cap hit with Anthony DeAngelo. Nick Holden is likely the odd man out here despite Staal being one of the worst defenseman in the League last year. Maybe Lindy Ruff can coach him up.

Stepan was a second liner at best forced to play on the first line. He's an average center and its a problem that the Rangers have had for sometime now, but have surprisingly done just fine. I don't think Mika is ready to be on the first line, but they have no choice. Move Hayes or Miller up to the second line and hope that they take their game to the next level.

Thank you for doing the leg work on that. Deal still makes no sense - nobody would have offered more than 1.5 IMHO.

It makes no sense. They basically had to renounce the ability to match any offer to him in order to free up the cap space for THJ (which also made not a lot of sense). Baker also tweeted like 7 min after FA began that he had agreed with the Knicks, without the terms being released. So I guess the Knicks basically told him they'd offer him the exception or the equivalent of that no matter what, and went from there. Very curious all around.

The Knicks are a mess and will continue to be a mess as long as the fans watch and attend games. Dolan knows he has nothing to worry about because people want to be seen. The cash will keep flowing in.

Phil Jackson deliberately sabotaged the Knicks going forward with this draft. The French kid had never been seen by Hornacek or anyone on his staff, so he has no idea what he's going to be working with. Making matters worse, he was injured in the French league final and hasn't been able to practice or play in Summer League. Jackson looked for someone who could be a triangle oriented guard instead of going with Smith or Monk, two athletic guards who can not only push the ball up the court, but create their own shot if needed.

Post-Jackson, the moves have been strange too. Signing Hardaway Jr. to a 4 year/$71 million deal and offering Waiters less when Dion actually has a better track record as a starter (Cleveland pre-LeBron added) and looks to be getting better especially after being in tip top basketball shape this past season despite the ankle sprain. Lastly, instead of fielding an offer to Rondo and pushing Rose out of town (which was stupid given his 18, 4 and 4 in 62 games), they waste the rest of their cap space on Ron Baker. They'll be lucky to win 30 games next season. Trade Melo now and acquire some assets for the lengthy rebuild.

I can't wait to see how badly the Knicks screw themselves with what they get back from a Melo trade.

So happy Carmelo is going to escape that perpetual cesspool while he's still got time to play some meaningful ball.

Dolan stays out of the way. The Knicks are the money maker despite the Rangers drawing a lot of revenue, it's not close to what the Knicks draw.

I disagree. The defense is better which has been their Achilles heel since Cup run in 2014. The acquisition of Shattenkirk on the right side in tandem with McDonagh is going to give New York one of the best blue lines in the league. Staal should be moved down to the third line despite his immense cap hit with Anthony DeAngelo. Nick Holden is likely the odd man out here despite Staal being one of the worst defenseman in the League last year. Maybe Lindy Ruff can coach him up.

Stepan was a second liner at best forced to play on the first line. He's an average center and its a problem that the Rangers have had for sometime now, but have surprisingly done just fine. I don't think Mika is ready to be on the first line, but they have no choice. Move Hayes or Miller up to the second line and hope that they take their game to the next level.

agree that the D overall will be much better this year with many fewer snow angels to thank for that

like the past few years that were wasted primarily because one in the front office wanted to fix the D the right way, will be joined by the upcoming season and the weakness down the middle

I agree that Step isn't true 1C, but he played one on TV most nights (esp on D). Brass played a similar role while here. even if Zib can stay healthy all season I feel he's best in a 2C role. Hayes or JT would be way over slot on the 2nd line. asking for trouble. I know 4Cs are very replaceable but we will miss Oscar a lot. a 4th with OL, Fast and Grabner was a weapon. As much as I'm rooting for Boo (Go Cuse!), wont nearly be the same

It's a life time of work to get there.
You make it sound like it's easy to be that good.
Actually, it's only a fraction of a lifetime, unless you sadly meet an untimely death. Regardless, there are lots of guys that work just as hard or harder that never make it. God given talent is a huge factor. No amount of work will take you from 5'10" to 6'8".

Actually, it's only a fraction of a lifetime, unless you sadly meet an untimely death. Regardless, there are lots of guys that work just as hard or harder that never make it. God given talent is a huge factor. No amount of work will take you from 5'10" to 6'8".
Since the lifetime of any living person can only be measured up to the present day, it represents hard work for most of their lifetime.

Since the lifetime of any living person can only be measured up to the present day, it represents hard work for most of their lifetime.
Well then I should get paid more. It's taken me a lifetime of hard work tinget where I am, and I'm older than they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom