OT: Flippin Shaun Freaking White | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Flippin Shaun Freaking White

I'll be the old man yelling "Get Off My Lawn" and say that I don't really see it as an Olympic sport. Send it back to the X-Games.

Skiing and shooting a gun, now THAT'S a sport! :rolleyes:

If curling is a "sport", I say anything that demands more physical exertion than it completely belongs in the Olympics

If curling is a "sport", I say anything that demands more physical exertion than it completely belongs in the Olympics
What you don't realize is that where they play curling it's usually about -50F so fast movement is not possible. It's very demanding in it's native environment. I imagine curling in the Olympics would be like NBA players have a dunk contest in low G.

What you don't realize is that where they play curling it's usually about -50F so fast movement is not possible. It's very demanding in it's native environment. I imagine curling in the Olympics would be like NBA players have a dunk contest in low G.
Goodness sakes? So what youre saying is it's an endurance sport?

Goodness sakes? So what youre saying is it's an endurance sport?
Damn right, emotionally taxing too. I found this image of a player that didn't make the Canadian team... the eye roll says it all.

FxJvk.jpg

There’s a lot of skill involved with curling. Trust me

Seriously that kid from Japan was off the charts with that run. He's so small and compact vs. white and really brought it. In that last run if he made it to that 1620 (or whatever it was gonna be) and then hit it we'd be marveling at him right now as I think they said it's never been done before. What a competition.
Great point about the rival boarder. He's like 4 feet tall, no wonder he could twirl around 6 times. Amazing clutch performance by Shaun to out-do him. But that's exactly what the analyst said .. White needs competition to bring out his best.

Last edited:
I'll be the old man yelling "Get Off My Lawn" and say that I don't really see it as an Olympic sport. Send it back to the X-Games.

Skiing and shooting a gun, now THAT'S a sport! :rolleyes:
Yeah, but why do they have to stop skiing while they're shooting?

That's very fun to watch. I honestly don't care for snowboarding, or a lot of winter Olympic activities, as spectator sports because I like my sports to have objective scoring systems, but I'm rewatching that clip over and over with a smile on my face. It's impossible not to appreciate that for what it is.

I also think camera technology has come so far that it really enhances our appreciation of that activity. Love the overhead shot, terrific work by NBC's crew.

Also, isn't it nice to have a winter Olympics in an actual winter environment for the first time in over a decade?
That's interesting, I hate those alternate views, especially when they zoom in. I lose all perspective of how high obove the pipe they're getting, especially the view they always used on the first trick. I get why they do it. They're trying to make you feel like your standing there. I felt like I had a better perspective when they showed the replay with the more traditional view.

There’s a lot of skill involved with curling. Trust me
I've enjoyed watching curling, but skill does not equal sport. Chess requires skill it is not a sport. Having said that, I told my wife yesterday I think it would be fun to try curling. Now I know I'm getting old.

I've enjoyed watching curling, but skill does not equal sport. Chess requires skill it is not a sport. Having said that, I told my wife yesterday I think it would be fun to try curling. Now I know I'm getting old.
Golf requires skill. Horse racing... are jockeys athletes?

I will never consider golf a sport, it's a game. Jockey's are not athletes, the horses are.
Try to control a 1500 pound animal after having gone through hell to make weight.

Try to control a 1500 pound animal after having gone through hell to make weight.
They're skilled, absolutely. Athletes do things like run and jump. The fact that something is difficult, even physically, doesn't make it athletic. Go balance on a steel girder 500 feet above the ground as a construction worker. Are construction workers athletes?

Am I the only one that watches them do these flips and I can't tell what they're doing right or wrong? They're spinning in the air, and they all do the same thing. Sort of. Kind of takes the edge off.
My wife used to show horses competitively, including in college. For a while we would go to the shows at the fair grounds. She, her sister and mother would all comment on things various riders (and horses) did well and didn't do well. My wife would almost always get 1st, 2nd and 3rd place right, while it all looked exactly the same to me.

They're skilled, absolutely. Athletes do things like run and jump. The fact that something is difficult, even physically, doesn't make it athletic. Go balance on a steel girder 500 feet above the ground as a construction worker. Are construction workers athletes?
Do the construction workers compete against each other?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom