OT: Golf? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Golf?

jordoo

Living Legend
All the new irons are all about how far they go. Why is everyone obsessed with hitting irons further? I don't get it. It must work because they sell these irons based off of how long they are. Drivers and Fairway Metals I get but irons are all about consistent distance and more than anything accuracy.

All the new irons are all about how far they go. Why is everyone obsessed with hitting irons further? I don't get it. It must work because they sell these irons based off of how long they are. Drivers and Fairway Metals I get but irons are all about consistent distance and more than anything accuracy.
That's how they market them to the masses, but pros are all about control. But Joe Schmo wants to hit his 7 iron longer.

I guess it depends. Are the new irons delivering longer distance with similar accuracy and consistency? If they are compromising them, then I agree with your point. But if they are not, they are certainly an advantage.

I know personally I have a big drop off in consistency and accuracy once I get below my 7 iron -- and every club beyond the 7 is slightly more accurate. If I can get 8-10 yards more from my 7 iron so that I stick with the 7 instead of the 6 it's a fairly big advantage for me. Or if I can put an 8 in my hand instead of 7 its a slight advantage.

It's easier to hold a green with 7 iron to SW, so the more you're in that range, the better you are.

You're right in principle though, most of us aren't consistent or good enough to where it will make a noticeable difference.

That's how they market them to the masses, but pros are all about control. But Joe Schmo wants to hit his 7 iron longer.

Pro's prefer to swing their irons at 85-90%, but if they can get a few more yards with the same control / same swing speed they will be all over a club. Just like us, there 9 iron is more accurate than an 8 iron, but only at a marginal level. But when you are at that level those margins are important.

It really depends if the new club compromises on other aspects.

Ball flight is so much more important than distance. Most people prefer to take the easy way out. You Have to remember, it's not the arrow, it's the indian. If you want to get good, you have to pound shots on the range daily.

I know its for Joe Schmo but how is this really helping them? They have already delofted most of these clubs to the point that some PW are 44 degrees. How far are people expecting to hit these clubs? I'm not sure. It seems a lot of guys with these distance irons hit pretty good distance with there short irons but can't seem to hit the mid or longer ones far at all from what I see on the courses. They might pull 8i from 150 but from 180 they are hitting 4i or a hybrid.

I guess it depends. Are the new irons delivering longer distance with similar accuracy and consistency? If they are compromising them, then I agree with your point. But if they are not, they are certainly an advantage.

I know personally I have a big drop off in consistency and accuracy once I get below my 7 iron -- and every club beyond the 7 is slightly more accurate. If I can get 8-10 yards more from my 7 iron so that I stick with the 7 instead of the 6 it's a fairly big advantage for me. Or if I can put an 8 in my hand instead of 7 its a slight advantage.

There is only 3-4 degrees difference between a 7i and a 6i. I don't understand the cut off. Obviously any inaccuracy is amplified but 6i is still a pretty lofted club IMO. I guess its more of a starting point thing distance wise.

Pro's prefer to swing their irons at 85-90%, but if they can get a few more yards with the same control / same swing speed they will be all over a club. Just like us, there 9 iron is more accurate than an 8 iron, but only at a marginal level. But when you are at that level those margins are important.

It really depends if the new club compromises on other aspects.

I don't think that is necessarily true for pro's. At some point the length is diminishing returns. It gives you way too many middle type 1/2 3/4 shots with your wedges if you hit your irons really far. If you hit your 9i more than 150 you start getting into this on mid to longer length courses. You are correct that they aren't blasting irons as hard as they can most of the time but who does its a low percentage shot.

I would just like to point out Jordoo's use of the term fairway "metals." I know woods have been made out of metal for a few decades now, but why can't we just stick with calling them "woods"? No offense intended to anybody who uses the new term, just something that irks me that probably shouldn't.

I play a cobra 3 hybrid and Callaway X-hot irons 4 - gap wedge. They are definitely stronger (4 iron is probably like a 3 iron), but it fills in the gap nicely with the hybrid.

I would just like to point out Jordoo's use of the term fairway "metals." I know woods have been made out of metal for a few decades now, but why can't we just stick with calling them "woods"? No offense intended to anybody who uses the new term, just something that irks me that probably shouldn't.

That is funny because I almost posted woods but on TV they always call them fairway metals which does seem more accurate. I actually won some persimmon woods which I would never refer to as a metal.

Having caddied for several pros over the years, I can tell you definitively...oh wait, I have never caddied and I am a poor golfer. Resume the discussion...

I play a cobra 3 hybrid and Callaway X-hot irons 4 - gap wedge. They are definitely stronger (4 iron is probably like a 3 iron), but it fills in the gap nicely with the hybrid.

Most clubs today are one stronger than old standard lofts and for the average golfer its not a big deal since they are so much easier to get air born than a blade. Out of curiosity what is the loft of your GW?

There is only 3-4 degrees difference between a 7i and a 6i. I don't understand the cut off. Obviously any inaccuracy is amplified but 6i is still a pretty lofted club IMO. I guess its more of a starting point thing distance wise.

For me, its because I come down to steep on my irons. It doesn't really cause any issues with a 7 iron or above. But it starts to cause problems when the loft angle is at the 6. I can hit a knock down 6 or knock down 5, but normal trajectory with those clubs is a real struggle. Someone with a different swing, it would not be the same problem. It doesn't really cause much of a problem with 4-5 hybrids so I have compensated with them when possible.

It also causes issues on my driver and 3 wood's. It's what keep me in the 80's (other than breaking it maybe once a year) rather then breaking 80 consistently.

Either way, I know I need to invest time in adjusting my swing, rather than invest on new clubs to hide the issue.

Most clubs today are one stronger than old standard lofts and for the average golfer its not a big deal since they are so much easier to get air born than a blade. Out of curiosity what is the loft of your GW?
49 degrees, which is actually stronger than I'd like as I also carry 56 and 60 degree wedges

For me, its because I come down to steep on my irons. It doesn't really cause any issues with a 7 iron or above. But it starts to cause problems when the loft angle is at the 6. I can hit a knock down 6 or knock down 5, but normal trajectory is a real struggle. Someone with a different swing, it would not be the same issue. It doesn't really cause much of a problem with 4-5 hybrids so I have compensated with them when possible.

It also causes issues on my driver and 3 wood's. It's what keep me in the 80's (other than breaking it maybe once a year) rather then breaking 80 consistently.

Either way, I know I need to invest time in changing my swing, rather than invest on new clubs to hide the issue.

I always feel the answer is fixing the swing. Some don't have the time to do that though. If you get shallower in your swing you should see added distance to your shorter irons as well. My dad made this adjustment about 14 years ago and it helped him a lot.

49 degrees, which is actually stronger than I'd like as I also carry 56 and 60 degree wedges

That is the loft I like my PW at. Which is why I don't carry a GW. I go 45, 49, 54, 59 for 9i, pw, sw, lw although depending on the course I sometimes do not carry the LW so I can keep the 2i, 3w and 4w in the bag.

I have all of my irons lofted specifically to my swing. Makes a big difference as opposed to just using a standard set off the rack.

Imo the ball goes way too far and that hurts the game more than juiced up clubs

I have all of my irons lofted specifically to my swing. Makes a big difference as opposed to just using a standard set off the rack.

Imo the ball goes way too far and that hurts the game more than juiced up clubs

I finally got that loft and lie machine so I can get everything just how I like. I have always done better with a bigger degree gap between the shorter clubs and progressively smaller on the longer clubs.

jordoo said:
I finally got that loft and lie machine so I can get everything just how I like. I have always done better with a bigger degree gap between the shorter clubs and progressively smaller on the longer clubs.

My pw is 49. Then i have a 52 and a 56.

My pw is 49. Then i have a 52 and a 56.

I prefer to lay off a tad with the PW if needed then I don't need a GW but I carry a strong SW @ 54 which I have custom ground heel and toe plus a slight tour grind on the back f the bounce. It still has enough bounce in the middle to play regular explosion shots out of deep rough or sand. I use that club for 85% of my shots from 12o and in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom