OT- Grandpa Names | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Grandpa Names

My niece married an African dude who told me when my grandnephew was born, that the swahili term for grandma is Bibi, and grandfather is Babu. So, that's what I've been for the last 4 years to all my grands- Babu.
And please...no Seinfeld character, finger-waving, "you're very very bad" jokes- I've heard them all!

Most of the young children that I've known that have a grandfather use Grampa. The n turns into an m and they drop the d.

My father an I both called his father "Pop."
My father became "G-Pop" to his grandkids.

My mother's father was "Granddad," but i don't remember ever using that very often. Somehow, it feels 'cumbersome,' although "Grandma" doesn't. Right?

I’ve been Pops since 2015. Good name.
but note that Georgetown’s JT3 called his dad Pops. If u hate Hoyas as I do it was a consideration

Soooo Ladytroop's daughter is having a baby today, which means I'm a few hours from becoming a grandpa. They've been asking me for months what this little girl (and future grandkiddos) are going to call me. I have no clue. I was planning on just letting the kid call me whatever the heck she wanted, and just rolling with it- but apparently that isn't how this works. Since I come here for all my important decisions anyway, I figured it would be a good place to request assistance.

What are your best grandpa names? The pups already call me "Pa", so that's out.
Pop Pop!!

Hands down!! It sounds even cooler as they get older! Both saying it for them and hearing it!!

Soooo Ladytroop's daughter is having a baby today, which means I'm a few hours from becoming a grandpa. They've been asking me for months what this little girl (and future grandkiddos) are going to call me. I have no clue. I was planning on just letting the kid call me whatever the heck she wanted, and just rolling with it- but apparently that isn't how this works. Since I come here for all my important decisions anyway, I figured it would be a good place to request assistance.

Only one name comes to mind.
Chizzly Adams.
Or teach them that you are Jim Boeheim and roll with that and that you created the 2-3 zone.

My kids call their grandfather Papu (pronounced pa-poo).

My kids call my Dad that! It originated when my oldest was maybe 15-18 months and we tried to get him to say "grandpa" and it came out "papoo." He's now almost 8 and it's stuck for him and his 2 younger brothers.

Old Grand-Dad might be appropriate.

1613517813236.png

Okay, that's useful information. Yaya is the americanized version of the greek grandma.

So, you should go with:

The most commonly used Greek term for grandfather is pappous. This is, of course, a phonetic or Americanized spelling since the Greek language uses a different alphabet. You may also see it rendered as pappoo, papu, or papou. A more affectionate term is pappouli.

So I was just corrected, apparently I don't listen for shet.
She's going to be called Yai, which is Thai (Yai and Thai rhyme, in case you were wondering how to pronounce Yai). She's assuming Yaiya will catch on, and if you're a drunk or hungover cusetroop, Yaiya and yaya sound just about the same lol

You guys have the best suggestions FYI. knew I could count on you!

You can’t be a grandpa. You’re only 25!

Friend told his kids, "I get know respect. I want to be called 'Sir'" and that is indeed what his grandkids call him, "Sir"

I mean, that's what I originally said when they asked me what I was going to be called.. I called my grandpa "grandpa", and my grammy was "Grammy"

This family works a little different tho, everyone has a nickname. Geepop, geema.. ladytroop is going with yaya

Idk lol
If she is going with Yaya then I think YAYO! Is a solid choice.

seriously I thought you were 35 or so. Funny thread would be what I all picture you all to be

If she is going with Yaya then I think YAYO! Is a solid choice.

seriously I thought you were 35 or so. Funny thread would be what I all picture you all to be

lol I’m 35. I inherited some kiddos through Ladytroop almost 7 years ago. I tried to get away with just being called uncle troop or something but they are insistent on me being a grandpa, so here we are.
They took me on my first Father’s Day brunch this summer. Got me presents and everything. Been a crazy few years for the ol troop lol

lol I’m 35. I inherited some kiddos through Ladytroop almost 7 years ago. I tried to get away with just being called uncle troop or something but they are insistent on me being a grandpa, so here we are.
They took me on my first Father’s Day brunch this summer. Got me presents and everything. Been a crazy few years for the ol troop lol
I think we have a new contender for hottest gramma contest. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom