OT: How much snow does it take to cancel school? | Syracusefan.com

OT: How much snow does it take to cancel school?

moqui

generational talent
Map from The Atlantic
BfPas7_CUAE81zV.png:large

The University of Alaska-Fairbanks just cancelled classes for the first time in history last week. Warm weather, caused rain, which froze, which meant crazy icy roads. Classes cancelled, offices still open, and it was up to you if you came into work.

Our district hasnt had a "snow"day in 3 years. We did have two days off because of cold weather. It would take over a foot of snow for us to even think about canceling

Our district hasnt had a "snow"day in 3 years. We did have two days off because of cold weather. It would take over a foot of snow for us to even think about canceling

We had one this year already and the superintendent was ridiculed mercilessly. He tried to justify it by saying the parking lots were icy. Sally.

I'd say 8-12 inches would be sufficient to close school as long as the storm was predicted to continue. And I live in BY FAR the worst town in terms of snow removal. They are terrible here.

Marsh01 said:

Westhill...right? When i was in school there it was the same thing. If they did close they were always the last to close.

AirForceOrange said:
Westhill...right? When i was in school there it was the same thing. If they did close they were always the last to close.

Yep. Super doesnt believe in snow days which us great with me. The only way school should be closed is if i cant open my front door. If not get on the god damn bus and go to school

One of my high school classmates is now a teacher at Berne Knox Westerlo. Anyone who grew up in the Albany area knows this school because they were ALWAYS closed for snow days. We'd get 3 inches in Troy and they would have 15 down there. Crazy how often they were closed.

Its funny. Grew up in Syracuse. moved an 1 hr north of NYC and they close schools here for 2-3 inches. They let out school early for the weather last week, when nothing happened. I just laugh and laugh

This is OT, but when my high school football team won the Section III title in the Dome in 1985 we were in the locker room and we tried to talk the school superintendent into cancelling school the next day to celebrate the win. He actually did it. Cancelled school the next day for the whole district. He took a ton of flack for it, but it was great.

This map is wrong, at least where I am from (Northeast NJ outside of NYC.) Usually only takes 3+ inches to cancel school.

Down here in Houston, just the threat of snow will close school. 2 days so far this year.

This is OT, but when my high school football team won the Section III title in the Dome in 1985 we were in the locker room and we tried to talk the school superintendent into cancelling school the next day to celebrate the win. He actually did it. Cancelled school the next day for the whole district. He took a ton of flack for it, but it was great.
Did you go to RFA, Central Square, Homer, Ilion, or Dolgeville?

Did you go to RFA, Central Square, Homer, Ilion, or Dolgeville?
Ilion High Golden Bombers. Unfortunately Ilion combined with Mohawk this year and is now Central Valley Academy. No more Bombers anymore.

Ilion High Golden Bombers. Unfortunately Ilion combined with Mohawk this year and is now Central Valley Academy. No more Bombers anymore.
Go bombers!!
1985_soccer1.jpg

"How much snow does it take to cancel schools?"
This is an economics question. Municipalities acquire and store resources to address all but on the average two Winter weather events. It makes no sense for Atlanta to purchase salt trucks and salt to manage snow. Close schools and it will be 55 degrees the next day.

Camden usually needed some legit snowfall to close. There we times the kids in Osceola (i don't expect you to know this place lol) wouldn't be able to come in because they'd get 2 feet when the town got 6 inches.

I would like to see this transposed over average snowfall amounts. Then you could find the "sweet-spot" areas where they get a decent amount of snow but also have a high chance of getting the day off. I would guess the Mid-Atlantic region fits the bill.

The map clearly has some inaccuracies. We lived outside Ann Arbor, MI for 21 years. The schools around there close with 2-3" of snow. Then the trucks drive around with the plows up in the air spreading salt. We once had an 8" snowfall, and the side roads were not cleared for a week.

Now in Brockport, NY, we have had 24" snowfalls, and life goes on as normal.

I was at JFK in Utica during this time and we played in the CVC conference

Here in North Syracuse, the school district prides itself on being the last to close. Which means that everyone is already at the school when they make the announcement. :crazy:

The University of Alaska-Fairbanks just cancelled classes for the first time in history last week. Warm weather, caused rain, which froze, which meant crazy icy roads. Classes cancelled, offices still open, and it was up to you if you came into work.
As I recall, the first time Syracuse University closed because of snow was on Thursday, March 4, 1971. We beat Niagara at Manley Field House the night before, and then it began to snow. Between that night and the next day, we got nearly two feet. I was a senior and lived off campus. My roommate and I drove in the next morning and parked under Rt. 81 where there was no snow. We walked up to campus only to find out classes were cancelled. I went to my girlfriend's dorm; she and several other girls joined me to walk down to Marshall Street, buy a quart of booze, and then partied.

Grew up going to high school right outside Atlanta.

Needless to say, we once had a day of school cancelled the day before due to the threat of snow.

And that is how we got a snow day when it was 70 degrees and sunny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom