OT: I hope we can cure cancer in my lifetime | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: I hope we can cure cancer in my lifetime

I find it hard to believe that we cannot cure cancer if we put the proper resources into it. Its amazing to think that the human body itself technologically far exceeds anything we can come up with or understand. I often wonder if we looked inward, more than outward if we would find the answers. If we could figure out our own DNA 100% it would go a long way if not all the way that stuff is pretty amazing.

I feel badly for everyone who has suffered from any disease and certainly cancer has effected us all in one way or another.

Just found out that two of my friends wives have cancer. I want not only a cure but to find out what the hell is the catalyst for it as well. These are middle aged woman and way too young for this to happen.

In the words of Marsh...F cancer.

We are doing it to ourselves. Not to go on a left wing rant but corporations in this country are slowly but surely poisoning the great people of this country all in the name of more profits. Ask yourself why the apples you buy at the grocery store are a year old while the freshest ones are shipped to Europe... http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-apples-year-old/

There is a whole host of reading one can do about the meat industry as well. There are simply no protections in place for the poisons that corporations and industry put in our food, drinkng water and the very air we breathe.

We are doing it to ourselves. Not to go on a left wing rant but corporations in this country are slowly but surely poisoning the great people of this country all in the name of more profits. Ask yourself why the apples you buy at the grocery store are a year old while the freshest ones are shipped to Europe... http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-apples-year-old/

There is a whole host of reading one can do about the meat industry as well. There are simply no protections in place for the poisons that corporations and industry put in our food, drinkng water and the very air we breathe.

I hate rotten apples.

Funny/timely that you post this now. I wasn't going to start a thread on it, but my mom had surgery today for ovarian cancer. She's recovering tonight and the surgery went well, but it's scary as hell.
Good Luck Pearl31! My Mother pased from Ovarian Cancer! You will be in my Familys thiughts and prayers.

shipping costs are the same for crappy apples and good apples

the relative price of a high quality apple vs a low quality apple in europe is going to be less than the relative price here.

so people in europe who want apples want higher quality ones.

here, there is a big difference in relative percentage terms, so some of us choose less good apples

blaming evil corporations is more fun than doing rational math

Last edited:
Just found out today that a woman I teach with has a high school aged son just diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. Treatable. When I was 15 a friend from early childhood passed away from the very same "treatable" disease, a treasure of a human being if there ever was one. There has got to be a cure for this awful, awful disease that takes away our loved ones...

My Mom had Hodgkins lymphoma in the early-mid 90's. She is alive and well, and has been cancer free for almost 20 years now. I trust that your friend's son will have the same results as my Mom. I wish them nothing but the best of luck. He will beat it.

shipping costs are the same for crappy apples and good apples

the relative price of a high quality apple vs a low quality apple in europe is going to be less than the relative price here.

so people in who want apples want higher quality ones.

here, there is a big difference in relative percentage terms, so some of us choose less good apples

blaming evil corporations is more fun than doing rational math
I was more getting at the fact that European food standards are a bit higher so they won't buy apples that are a year old. But you also make my point we choose cost savings over a higher quality apple. Now for apples it's not a big deal but we have to make this choice in every aspect of our lives and eventually it bites us in the ass.

This is pure BS. We have the safest food industry in the world. I had great grand parents and a great uncle that died of cancer. I don't think they were poisoned by corporations. Heck, where they lived in the back country, they never knew what a corporation was. If you want to drink the Kool Aid that PETA and others of their ilk serve, so be it.

And one of my best friends has terminal pancreatic cancer... and went into hospice care today.

I suspect Jekelish started this thread out of frustration with the game tonight... but it has more truth than he was thinking about.

Sorry to hear about that. I lost my Dad to pancreatic cancer in Dec 2009. Hard to believe it's been 4.5 years.
Anyways, his loss spurred me to help start this organization (shameless plug):

http://www.pcawny.org/

Through their annual walk, the Pancreatic Cancer Association of Western New York has donated more than $200,000 to specifically fund pancreatic cancer research at the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center in Rochester, NY. Because of a host of other commitments (new job, grad school, etc) I am no longer active in the running of the organization, but it is one of the best causes I know out there.

I like to say that there is no such thing as a "good" cancer, pancreatic cancer might be the worst.

Sorry to hear about that. I lost my Dad to pancreatic cancer in Dec 2009. Hard to believe it's been 4.5 years.

Through their annual walk, the Pancreatic Cancer Association of Western New York has donated more than $200,000 to specifically fund pancreatic cancer research at the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center in Rochester, NY. Because of a host of other commitments (new job, grad school, etc) I am no longer active in the running of the organization, but it is one of the best causes I know out there.

I like to say that there is no such thing as a "good" cancer, pancreatic cancer might be the worst.

Ugh. It is amazing how many families are impacted by this damned disease.

I agree, no such thing as a "good" cancer, but I refer to the two kinds I've had as "good" or "kiddie" cancers": thyroid and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I still have lymphoma, and will the rest of my life, but the kind I have is treatable and manageable, and, I always try to focus on, low-grade and non-aggressive. I had surgery for thyroid cancer and chemo for the lymphoma, and hope I'll never have to do chemo again, but I consider these cancers "good" and consider myself lucky 'cause I compare 'em to what my only sibling, my older sister, and her only child, a son, endured and died from in their 20s: brain cancer. Hell, I had thyroid surgery just months after my sister was operated on for brain cancer and I don't even consider what I had "real" cancer.

As I told my doc when he called to tell me a biopsy showed I had lymphoma (and as I told my girlfriend yesterday when my car "died" -- needed a new battery): well, at least it ain't brain cancer.

Today is the one year anniversary of the worst day of my life. A year ago today I was told my 3 year old daughter has Leukemia. It has been an extremely tough year on her and my family. Just a sad sad day for me personally. Always will remember 4/8.

Today is the one year anniversary of the worst day of my life. A year ago today I was told my 3 year old daughter has Leukemia. It has been an extremely tough year on her and my family. Just a sad sad day for me personally. Always will remember 4/8.

I keep your family in my thoughts and prayers, Phil. Your daughter is one year closer to putting this behind her--permanently.

phil77 said:

Ugh. I hate hearing these stories.

God bless dude

Pearl31, let me echo Jim's sentiment above. My mom passed away last year after a 45 year bout with various forms of cancer. Keeping you in my thoughts, my TC friend!

Fighting cancer for 45 years is just amazing. I've had a few health problems myself over the years but I can't even imagine dealing with that. She must have been tough as nails.

Prostate cancer survivor here, (I'm such an SU fan that when Jim Boeheim got it, I had to get it too). I had a nice SU number of radiation treatments- 44 and now whatever was there is bacon, (PSA level from 8.29 to 0.72 when last checked.)

I hope they come up with something that cures all cancers because we keep coming up with more and more things that cause it.

Prayers, love and positive energy to you and your daughter, Phil.

Fighting cancer for 45 years is just amazing. I've had a few health problems myself over the years but I can't even imagine dealing with that. She must have been tough as nails.

She was. God's honest truth: I never heard her complain once about her circumstances, my entire life. And she spent a LOT of those 45 years dealing with pain in various forms. Tough as nails.

Stay strong. My best to you and your family in your fight with this damned disease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom