OT: Insane weather situation in Atlanta | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Insane weather situation in Atlanta

it had nothing to do with the snow...

the roads are covered in an inch of ICE. you can not drive on it weather you are from Antarctica or Fiji.

Of course 1 can can get around... but millions of cars cannot commute.

You can barely walk on it. Its not slushy... its a solid block of ice.
Ahh, that makes more sense. The article I read made it sound like it was just snow. Ice is a whole different ball game.

Charlotte wasn't so bad, but that "black ice" thingy is no joke.
Walking and driving is treacherous in this city, and probably will be for the next day or so.
Still, its fun watching these folks freak out over a couple of inches of snow.
We're DOOOOOOOOOOMED! :D
I live in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, and it's so funny to see people make a run on the grocery stores when they call for five inches of snow. I always wonder how long they think they'll be cooped up for when they're buying gallons of milks, multiple loaves of bread, and 20 rolls of toilet paper. They definitely do overreact to that particular brand of weather. Of course, being from Oswego, I once drove in snow that was coming up over the hood of my car. Just another Tuesday.

Y'all better switch from yer NASCAR tars on the right fer the ones on the left, ya' hear...? :rolleyes:

tires.jpg

CNN is annoying me today. The other news stations are carrying other stories, but CNN seems to only care about the storm. How shocking...they're based in Atlanta.

As I said in another posts...people in the South do not know how to drive in this crap. Your big SUV's spinning tires on ice does not work! add not too much snow / salt / sand equipment over a million people on the road and you get bedlam. Took me over 10 hours to get home...just think if there was a Super Bowl here this week. Yikes!
the ratio of people who didn't know what they were doing is the same as it would have been in syracuse under the same circumstances. as others have said (and i said recounting my own story in a separate thread) the problem was the total lack of road prep that led to the solid ice. put a million+ people on solid ice and this is going to happen. my experience probably helped me avoid 10 different incidents and help others do things to avoid spinning tires, slipping, etc over the seven hours/12 miles i battled it yesterday...but even i had to tap out 2 miles from home when a hill turned into bumper cars. luckily i could (barely) steer it into a lot while most found themselves crooked in the lanes. i was able to go back this afternoon and get my car. the graveyard of cars on the side of the road (some still in) is unbelievable. you're never going to have a universally competent group of drivers. what you need is an infrastructure that supports a mix of good/bad drivers getting where they need to go.

CNN is annoying me today. The other news stations are carrying other stories, but CNN seems to only care about the storm. How shocking...they're based in Atlanta.
Just be glad that you don't live in the ATL. It's all Snowmageddon, all the time, on all the stations.

Schools are closed tomorrow as well... as we thaw out.

been hearing garbage for years about "red neck engineering" heck gt even touts itself as a school that can build things-

yet not one red neck used duckt tape to make some snow tires - kinda sad realy

yes... sounds funny - but the city totally screwed up - no prep to the roads (salt or sand) and told everyone to go home at 1 pm. traffic halted to a standstill and the roads froze.

I'm from Syracuse... you need to be a professional driver to commute on these roads and they wouldn't even have any control.

Its not the 'southerners cant drive' issue, that seems so funny. Its a terrible leadership issue that completely failed us.

It's very embarrassing.

Can't agree more. I didn't have any opinion of Mayor Reed until today, and I can't stand the guy now! Came off like a complete douche monkey every time he opened his mouth on the news today. While Governor Deal failed us just as badly, he at least wasn't overly defensive and constantly trying to compare this storm to the one we had three years ago when it's apples and oranges. Government needed to be proactive about this storm, but were instead reactive. EVERYONE trying to get home at the exact same time AFTER the snow started coming down just made things so much worse. It took me 8 hours and two 1-hour treks through the snow and cold last night to get from the Georgia Tech campus to my apartment in Midtown yesterday afternoon/evening. Finally made it home around 9:30. Had to leave my car on campus and we had to strand my g/f's car in a neighborhood off of Piedmont after we found ourselves at the bottom of a slight valley and all the roads there had iced over. Even though I grew up in Syracuse, I've never seen anything like what Atlanta turned into yesterday. Just unreal!

the ratio of people who didn't know what they were doing is the same as it would have been in syracuse under the same circumstances. as others have said (and i said recounting my own story in a separate thread) the problem was the total lack of road prep that led to the solid ice. put a million+ people on solid ice and this is going to happen. my experience probably helped me avoid 10 different incidents and help others do things to avoid spinning tires, slipping, etc over the seven hours/12 miles i battled it yesterday...but even i had to tap out 2 miles from home when a hill turned into bumper cars. luckily i could (barely) steer it into a lot while most found themselves crooked in the lanes. i was able to go back this afternoon and get my car. the graveyard of cars on the side of the road (some still in) is unbelievable. you're never going to have a universally competent group of drivers. what you need is an infrastructure that supports a mix of good/bad drivers getting where they need to go.

For some reason, your post made me picture people still in their cars and it reminded me of this youtube video.