OT: JB and the “A”-word: uncomfortableness abounds. | Syracusefan.com

OT: JB and the “A”-word: uncomfortableness abounds.

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Ok, I’ll preface this first by saying I’m one of the biggest JB supporters there is.
I was sold on his greatness a couple of years before our ‘96 run to the NC game. At some point i just started to recognize the consistency of his teams, and how year-in & year-out, we were always in the mix for an NCAA spot at the very least, and that’s largely been the case in our new league.
That being said, i found myself feeling, as the kids might say, “some kinda way”, watching JB interviewing during ACC media day.
This is not easy for me to say but, imo, the man looks and sounds, how can i put this delicately...very very old.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m gettin up there in age as well, so it’s not an ageism bias on my part, at least not consciously. I just realized that i was having the same queasy feeling watching him today, that i get sometimes watching Bernie Sanders, or Joe Biden, or hell, Ronald Reagan in the past, just to reiterate that this isn’t about political affiliation. In sports, maybe a Joe Paterno, or Ray Meyer at DePaul as examples, come to mind.
The man seemed a step slower, and honestly, it was a little striking...and a bit uncomfortable, watching that interview.
To be sure, I’d love it if this thread evolves into a sober, measured, and dignified discussion about the merits or fallacies of my perspective, but I realize we have a ton of agenda-driven, nattering nabobs of negativism, just itching to jump in and tell us how much JB’s “lost it”, or that “he’s gotta go”.
That’s not only inaccurate, it’s also unfair. The man can still coach, IMO.
I just wonder if it may be worth exploring whether, (1) this feeling is shared on the board after seeing that interview, and (2) whether we should really anticipate, sooner rather than later, that JB’s not finishing that 5-year contract he’s on.
Apologies for the long OP- this is not an easy subject to broach, nor to write about.

Last edited:
wow, i had the exact opposite reaction. i didn't watch the interviews, i listened to them as i was doing some work. i was impressed by his energy & presence and how on top of things he was. if i didn't know better, i would have thought i was listening to a veteran coach in his 50s or 60s

wow, i had the exact opposite reaction. i didn't watch the interviews, i listened to them as i was doing some work. i was impressed by his energy & presence and how on top of things he was. if i didn't know better, i would have thought i was listening to a veteran coach in his 50s or 60s
Sane

To be sure, I’d love it if this thread evolves into a sober, measured, and dignified discussion about the merits or fallacies of my perspective
laugh.gif

Fair enough, and again, we all have our own POV. That’s why I really debated starting the thread- I was surprised about how I was feeling at what i was watching.

Last edited:
Listen..I hardly ever ever post on the basketball side. I just came over to post about this interview and was looking for the ACC thread topic and stumbled on this one first ...glad I did.

I was going to post that I thought JB was fabulously impressive and, as always, just is phenomenal with national media ...(and never can say as much with local media)

He was great. He is still engaging. What I will say is that there is ONE point I agree with the OP on ...JB's voice sounds aged. Definitely a difference from the last couple years. But he is still with it and glad he still represents us on a national stage

The only interview I saw was on the accn studio. I thought he looked and sounded great.

I just saw the same interview... and agree with Bees. He was very animated ..and sounded great.

I was with him and the team in Italy this summer. He climbed the nearly 400 steps to the top of Florence's Duomo (in each direction). Some of the team members gave up halfway to the top because they could not handle the cramped, steep, hot conditions. Jim is in very good physical shape.

I think it's safe to say that after a certain point we all slow down mentally and physically. Some more than others.

JB looked and sounded good in that interview. imo

Ok, I’ll preface this first by saying I’m one of the biggest JB supporters there is.
I was sold on his greatness a couple of years before our ‘96 run to the NC game. At some point i just started to recognize the consistency of his teams, and how year-in & year-out, we were always in the mix for an NCAA spot at the very least, and that’s largely been the case in our new league.
That being said, i found myself feeling, as the kids might say, “some kinda way”, watching JB interviewing during ACC media day.
This is not easy for me to say but, imo, the man looks and sounds, how can i put this delicately...very very old.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m gettin up there in age as well, so it’s not an ageism bias on my part, at least not consciously. I just realized that i was having the same queasy feeling watching him today, that i get sometimes watching Bernie Sanders, or Joe Biden, or hell, Ronald Reagan in the past, just to reiterate that this isn’t about political affiliation. In sports, maybe a Joe Paterno, or Ray Meyer at DePaul as examples, come to mind.
The man seemed a step slower, and honestly, it was a little striking...and a bit uncomfortable, watching that interview.
To be sure, I’d love it if this thread evolves into a sober, measured, and dignified discussion about the merits or fallacies of my perspective, but I realize we have a ton of agenda-driven, nattering nabobs of negativism, just itching to jump in and tell us how much JB’s “lost it”, or that “he’s gotta go”.
That’s not only inaccurate, it’s also unfair. The man can still coach, IMO.
I just wonder if it may be worth exploring whether, (1) this feeling is shared on the board after seeing that interview, and (2) whether we should really anticipate, sooner rather than later, that JB’s not finishing that 5-year contract he’s on.
Apologies for the long OP- this is not an easy subject to broach, nor to write about.
I usually tend to agree and have often commented that these type of situations rarely end well for someone JB's age.....however watching the ACC video I thought that he was great. I am not that lucid now and I am 25 years his junior.

I just saw the same interview... and agree with Bees. He was very animated ..and sounded great.

I was with him and the team in Italy this summer. He climbed the nearly 400 steps to the top of Florence's Duomo (in each direction). Some of the team members gave up halfway to the top because they could not handle the cramped, steep, hot conditions. Jim is in very good physical shape.
I wouldn’t be able to get halfway frankly...

I wouldn’t be able to get halfway frankly...
I'm with you, SUGIANT. Juli B and I visited an air-conditioned museum while the guys attacked the Duomo steps.

Bombay, I didn’t see the interview but if his voice was a little quavery - as happens with age - then I can understand how you may have been taken aback some. At any rate, I hope you now feel reassured that your reaction to him was a little off the beam. It seems people here with first hand experience think he is in fine fettle! (That’s an old person’s term.) And it was brave of you to post what you did. I hope that the reactions to what you wrote has restored your faith in Syracuse fan.com humanity! :)

Me too

Bombay, I didn’t see the interview but if his voice was a little quavery - as happens with age - then I can understand how you may have been taken aback some. At any rate, I hope you now feel reassured that your reaction to him was a little off the beam. It seems people here with first hand experience think he is in fine fettle! (That’s an old person’s term.) And it was brave of you to post what you did. I hope that the reactions to what you wrote has restored your faith in Syracuse fan.com humanity! :)
No worries- our fine fettled fanbase (say that 3X fast), especially on this site, is generally on point.
And for better or worse we’re all in this thing together, and we all want the same things. Would love nothing more than to see JB win one more...for the road!

400+, closer to 500 in total and we also did in early July when temps were in the mid to high nineties. It is not an easy climb and can get very claustrophobic...JB has to be in great shape to navigate that climb in those conditions at his age...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom