OT: just saw a bear | Syracusefan.com

OT: just saw a bear

I never actually saw a bear up close and personal without some sort of a cage between us. But there was a funny story.

When I lived in NM, and before I had retired, I got up one morning to get my AM caffeine. It was still dark out. At that time, I had my first dog, my dear Abby, a shepherd mix. Well, I let her out in our yard (surrounded by woods and a chain link fence) and she starts barking like crazy, never heard her bark like that before or since. Anyways, I hear a bit of a rustling and then my Abby comes back. I just assumed she saw something outside the fence line. Anyways, I go to work. A few hours later the wife (before she was better known on this forum as the Puzzle Goddess) calls. She says some bird feeders were knocked down from trees. When I get home that afternoon we are walking the yard, and exactly where I heard the rustling coming from, the chain link fence was squished down. Yes, all evidence is that there was a bear in the yard and that my brave Abby scared it off.

Bird feeders are not allowed here. However, I have seen bear poop inside the chain link fence at my son's house about a mile from here. They climb the fence.

This cub was taking a nap in the heart of Morristown NJ when I got up close to him, asked a cop if it was ok to take a pic. Cop was there and said "yeah sure, but get to the other side of the street soon!"

A little while later, they went up there with a cherry picker and shot the cub with a tranquilizer. In a panic, he bolted further up the tree! By the time dart kicked in, he was lucky to fall into a small wedge of branches. Otherwise, he would have fell far. They got him out safely. Right in the heart of "the green", the center of the city. I still can't believe he got across multiple roads to get where he was, what with the Jersey drivers and all.
3DAF63A4-4094-4F99-A498-D687F8D311F7.jpeg

One more bear story. My parents had what you Central New Yorkers call a "camp" west of the Poconos ;) My mom hears a rumblin' outside the kitchen window and a bear is awfully curious with their trampoline! The bear starts mucking around, pressing down on it, trying to figure out the game. It eventually decides that it likes its new toy enough to take it home. Way too awkward to carry, the bear tries his/her best to haul it away and starts to get paranoid like a sneak-thief. Looks around to see if he's getting busted by the law and darts off in a craze without the new toy. My mom laughed her arse off as she couldn't believe the bear's reaction when he thought he was in trouble for theft.

One more bear story. My parents had what you Central New Yorkers call a "camp" west of the Poconos ;) My mom hears a rumblin' outside the kitchen window and a bear is awfully curious with their trampoline! The bear starts mucking around, pressing down on it, trying to figure out the game. It eventually decides that it likes its new toy enough to take it home. Way too awkward to carry, the bear tries his/her best to haul it away and starts to get paranoid like a sneak-thief. Looks around to see if he's getting busted by the law and darts off in a craze without the new toy. My mom laughed her arse off as she couldn't believe the bear's reaction when he thought he was in trouble for theft.
When you're a bear you're a bear all the way. From your first cigarette to your last dying day.

We moved to Asheville, NC 3 1/2 months ago, and I finally saw a bear up close and personal. I looked out the kitchen window and saw it sauntering along the sidewalk next to the house, about ten feet away.
They are foraging to prepare for winter.

This cub was taking a nap in the heart of Morristown NJ when I got up close to him, asked a cop if it was ok to take a pic. Cop was there and said "yeah sure, but get to the other side of the street soon!"

A little while later, they went up there with a cherry picker and shot the cub with a tranquilizer. In a panic, he bolted further up the tree! By the time dart kicked in, he was lucky to fall into a small wedge of branches. Otherwise, he would have fell far. They got him out safely. Right in the heart of "the green", the center of the city. I still can't believe he got across multiple roads to get where he was, what with the Jersey drivers and all.
View attachment 189437
I lived in morristown for several years until a few years ago. We had many bears in the neighborhood. We had a surprising amount of wildlife in the small woods behind my house. Hated all the deer though.
I actually saw a bear get hit by a car once.
I'm in Vermont now. We have a lot of bear here too, we just don't see them as often because there is more room for them to avoid us. One emptied my garbage can into the swimming pool last year. That was a mess to clean up.

We live up on Onondaga Hill off of Howlett Hill Rd. We’ve had several bear sightings in the area over the summer. Same one has been wandering back and forth between Marcellus and the Onondaga area.

We moved to Asheville, NC 3 1/2 months ago, and I finally saw a bear up close and personal. I looked out the kitchen window and saw it sauntering along the sidewalk next to the house, about ten feet away.

if it could complete a pass outside the numbers, it wasnt Foles.

I lived in morristown for several years until a few years ago. We had many bears in the neighborhood. We had a surprising amount of wildlife in the small woods behind my house. Hated all the deer though.
I'm in Vermont now. We have a lot of bear here too, we just don't see them as often because there is more room for them to avoid us. One emptied my garbage can into the swimming pool last year. That was a mess to clean up.
Southern VT?

I'm over in Kinnelon, I see one a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom