OT: Man alive, this storm is legit | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Man alive, this storm is legit

Meh ive seen worse.

Btw if i hear anyone complain that its too hot this summer i will literally whale on you repeatedly in the face. I am serious. Women; men, children; grandmothers. I dont care. In the face.
Don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

524533_10203489426375936_1230480178_n.jpg

As bad as I've seen it in northern saratoga county. It's not so much the snow accumulations, but the freezing rain and sleet for two hours on top of six inches of snow followed by another 8/10 inches of snow. Wicked windy and frigid. Lights flickered a couple times thankfully we didn't lose power.

Snowblower usually takes 15/20 minutes to do a spotless cleanup, last night took me an hour to do a half ased job and when I was done there was already another inch in the ground.
seriously, same here. And at the driveways edge it was all ice clumps Fing up the snow blower as when the storm started in was 32 degrees leaving clumps of snow that hardened to ice as the temperatures plummeted, then a 45 min drive took me almost 2 hours this am because of COMPLETELY snow and ice covered roads from Syracuse to Seneca Falls, with accidents everywere. Should have stayed in bed this am.

However, on a brighter note every once in a while you get a little winter magic...
image.jpg

The interesting thing with all the snowstorms this year is that most happened with the NAO being neutral. Basically what this means is that the trough of cold air that dips down from canada is flat vs being positive or negative. Essentially when its positive storms eject out to sea and while negative they create nor'easters that pull moisture back and hug the coast. Its more than just that but most bad winters involve many storms with negative NAO vs storms that simply run just below the jet stream or cold fronts to pull in warm air from the gulf and then drop snow to those north and rain to the south. Nearly every storm has been like that this year when in most years those types of storms are mild quick hitters that dont do much.

Even more odd was that most climatoligical models predicted an underwhelming winter for the mid atlantic for snowfall while the farmers almanac predicted the opposite and was dead on. Conclusion is that many weather models are so over fitted trying to be able to handle everything from snow storms to hurricanes that something as simple as the farmers almanac that uses a few very basic simple pattern recognition techniques is quite often accurate ( not always) but the hit rate is better than many models... too funny.

The interesting thing with all the snowstorms this year is that most happened with the NAO being neutral. Basically what this means is that the trough of cold air that dips down from canada is flat vs being positive or negative. Essentially when its positive storms eject out to sea and while negative they create nor'easters that pull moisture back and hug the coast. Its more than just that but most bad winters involve many storms with negative NAO vs storms that simply run just below the jet stream or cold fronts to pull in warm air from the gulf and then drop snow to those north and rain to the south. Nearly every storm has been like that this year when in most years those types of storms are mild quick hitters that dont do much.

Even more odd was that most climatoligical models predicted an underwhelming winter for the mid atlantic for snowfall while the farmers almanac predicted the opposite and was dead on. Conclusion is that many weather models are so over fitted trying to be able to handle everything from snow storms to hurricanes that something as simple as the farmers almanac that uses a few very basic simple pattern recognition techniques is quite often accurate ( not always) but the hit rate is better than many models... too funny.

Have you heard that the El Niño would be back next year? I heard on the radio, this will cause for a warm, wet winter with much rain. When I was in California in the 90's, I believe, the central coast water was in the low 70's rather than high 50's when it was El Niño developed.

Have you heard that the El Niño would be back next year? I heard on the radio, this will cause for a warm, wet winter with much rain. When I was in California in the 90's, I believe, the central coast water was in the low 70's rather than high 50's when it was El Niño developed.

el-nino.jpg