OT: McNabb Benched | Syracusefan.com

OT: McNabb Benched

djcon57

Living Legend
Remember a heavy debate on the old board about how McNabb was still a viable starter.

Guess not.

Had a great great career though.

An awful O-line helped to contribute to this. Against the Bears, they dressed 7 linemen and 2 went down with injuries. Plus, their pass defense looks awful. Leslie Frazier won't be there after this year, if he makes it that long.

An awful O-line helped to contribute to this. Against the Bears, they dressed 7 linemen and 2 went down with injuries. Plus, their pass defense looks awful. Leslie Frazier won't be there after this year, if he makes it that long.

I don't disagree with any of that...but McNabb won't have another starting job again.

I don't disagree with any of that...but McNabb won't have another starting job again.
Unless the Raiders are able to snag him in the few remaining minutes before the trade deadline.

Sad ending to a great career.

At least he has a career in broadcasting to look forward to...

Love Donnie, but he's been terrible the last couple years. Time to hang em up.

They should bench the whole team. I've only seen 2 of their games, but who is performing well?

As a whole they stink, but the QB and/or coach are the guys who are in line to take the fall.

needs to move down to miami and retire like most rich midwesterners.oh yeah and start for the fins.

Sad ending to a great career.

At least he has a career in broadcasting to look forward to...

Agree with this 100% It makes Jim Brown's and Barry Sander's decisions to retire in their prime all that more enticing. I hate to see one of my all time favorite orangemen, and the only respectable NFL QB we've ever produced go down like this.

It's too bad McNabb could not work out his inaccuracy issues. Really was the nail in the coffin on his career.

Agree with this 100% It makes Jim Brown's and Barry Sander's decisions to retire in their prime all that more enticing. I hate to see one of my all time favorite orangemen, and the only respectable NFL QB we've ever produced go down like this.

It's too bad McNabb could not work out his inaccuracy issues. Really was the nail in the coffin on his career.
feel bad for ya swoshy, it must be hard to be a lifelong fan of 3 teams in a 21 month period or so.

but just think of the green, burgundy and purple #5 jerseys you have that will now get eggs thrown at you in 3 cities!!!

well, maybe 4 cities if you count NYC.

I'm a lifelong fan of Syracuse University and its athletic alumnus.

I'm not a huge pro sports fan, as I was not raised in a city with a pro sports team. There, you've exposed me for being less of a Giants fan than you. Boy you're good. Don't know how you are able to do and redo this every other week or so.

I'm a lifelong fan of Syracuse University and its athletic alumnus.

I'm not a huge pro sports fan, as I was not raised in a city with a pro sports team. There, you've exposed me for being less of a Giants fan than you. Boy you're good. Don't know how you are able to do and redo this every other week or so.
its fun, youre easy and its been a while.

besides, my position has ALWAYS been, if you have not team...root for ALL the alums, dont be selective and root for the high profile ones, or the ones who you think winked at you once while walking off the field.

Yes! You got me. EXPOSED!

I do love McNabb more than any other NFLer, besides Dwight "The Fright" Freeney. I am a bad, bad, fan.

its fun, youre easy and its been a while.

besides, my position has ALWAYS been, if you have not team...root for ALL the alums, dont be selective and root for the high profile ones, or the ones who you think winked at you once while walking off the field.

Can anybody here translate this last sentence?"dont be selective and root for the high profile ones, or the ones who you think winked at you once while walking off the field."
What does that even mean?

Can McNabb write a check for our new practice facility while he's on the bench?

Actually he was 19/24 in his last game. His numbers after that awful first game were similar to his career numbers.
Completion percentage: .617 in his last five games vs. .590 career. He averaged 58.3 last year.
Yards per compeltion: 11.3 vs. 11.8 career and 12.3 last year.
Yards per attempt: 7.0 vs. 6.9 career and 7.2 last year.
It's not ture that he "stunk last year and this year" as one poster said.

Per this SI article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/10/12/donovan.mcnabb/index.html
His problems are in learning a new offense, not having enough time pre-season with his receivers and his own sagging confidecne, (which he scoffs at).

His numbers were better than Ponders:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311016003

The problem is the Vikings, like the Cardinals needed more than a competent performance from their quarterback to be successful. They needed a quarterback who could carry the team and negate their many weaknesses and Donovan can't do that any more. Any 1-5 team is going to hand the reigns to their quartetback of the future at this point. This season is shot. And getting another job after three teams have given up on you is going to be hard.

It looks like the end of the line for McNabb. It sure would have been fun to see what he could have accomplished with talent around him.
Unfortunately his prime was wasted with the Pinkston and Thrash's of the world.

It looks like the end of the line for McNabb. It sure would have been fun to see what he could have accomplished with talent around him.
Unfortunately his prime was wasted with the Pinkston and Thrash's of the world.
...and Brian Westbrook...and T.O...and a Top 3 defense.
:noidea:

...and Brian Westbrook...and T.O...and a Top 3 defense.
:noidea:
The Good TO for one year and McNabb put up the best numbers of his career. My point proven.
Westbrook was good but other than the one year with TO he never had a go to receiver, as a matter of fact he never had an above average receiver.
We've gone through this before but just about every HOF QB had better talent to work with.
Top 3 D has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

The Good TO for one year and McNabb put up the best numbers of his career. My point proven.
Westbrook was good but other than the one year with TO he never had a go to receiver, as a matter of fact he never had an above average receiver.
We've gone through this before but just about every HOF QB had better talent to work with.
Top 3 D has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

That year McNabb became the first QB in NFL history to have 30+ TD passes and less than 10 interceptions. He also led his team to the Super Bowl, where he passed for 357 yards and 3 TDs and his team lost by a field goal.

That year McNabb became the first QB in NFL history to have 30+ TD passes and less than 10 interceptions. He also led his team to the Super Bowl, where he passed for 357 yards and 3 TDs and his team lost by a field goal.

...and 3 INTs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom