OT: Mega Millions | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mega Millions

Rocco

Watching you.
First of all, good luck to those who bought one. Oh yeah, don't get your hopes up though because you're not gonna win. ;)

Secondly, I came across this article on NYC Barstool Sports about the current jackpot. It is hilarious, I was laughing out loud at the end. If you have time, enjoy this short read. Well worth the 2 min.

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/mega-millions-up-to-636-million/

Rocco said:
First of all, good luck to those who bought one. Oh yeah, don't get your hopes up though because you're not gonna win. ;) Secondly, I came across this article on NYC Barstool Sports about the current jackpot. It is hilarious, I was laughing out loud at the end. If you have time, enjoy this short read. Well worth the 2 min. http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/mega-millions-up-to-636-million/

I would donate $10 million to the university with the stipulation that i get to decide what gets done with the money. I would also buy stock in pabst. Other than that i would do nothing. Quit my job and literally do nothing.

I would donate $10 million to the university with the stipulation that i get to decide what gets done with the money. I would also buy stock in pabst. Other than that i would do nothing. Quit my job and literally do nothing.
You can always stipulate what gets done with a gift to SU

At 11 p.m., you will learn that six women from Fairfield County .. who never play the lottery ... won it because they decided at lunch today that it would be fun to each buy a ticket for the group ... and then win $100 million each (before taxes).

Last edited:
I'll buy TexanMark and The Fine Mess the ultimate traveling tailgate get up...whatever the hell that ends up being. I'm sure a John Madden style tour bus would be involved.

But first I have to put away enough to send all of my kids to Syracuse University. And establish a scholarship to help families with special needs children.

Me either. Although it would help if I played.

The only reason they did this was to reach a billion. After that they'll make an announcement that it's now too hard to win and THEN change it back while laughing all the way to the bank.

Or realize people will throw money at them regardless of how asinine the odds are and carry on.

Hey... we won a dollar. We had the MegaBall number ... but nothing else. We bought six tickets (one each) for a total investment of six dollars.. and we said we would share any winnings. Two of the tickets had no correct numbers. Two had one connect number, but no MB number. and one had two correct numbers, but no MB number. All of these tickets won nothing. My ticket had the MB number, but nothing else... so we won a total of one dollar... that works out to 16 cents each (after we had each invested one dollar.

We actually did better than the average because the Lottery people say the lottery is constructed so that one in 15 tickets wins a prize. Our little experiment shows why these mega lotteries are such a rip-off of people who cannot afford to play them.

Last edited:
Quit my job and literally do nothing.

Same here! At least for awhile. Isn't that similar to what the protagonist in Office Space said he'd do if he won? Also reminds me of a song title from the group Shpongle, "Nothing Is Something Worth Doing", a spiritual concept lost to modern society with the help of our media. Marsh, I am shocked to see a glimmer of a spiritual side, when you aren't busy watching a SWAC match up. Pearl Jam wrote a song, "In Hiding", as a tribute to author Henry Bukowski's method of overcoming writer's block which Eddie employed on that album, a short fast from the outside world. The movies Factotum and Barfly dont show Bukowski doing that, but are great fun to watch a drunk and womanizer before his rise to fame.

But then I think back to Office Space and the neighbor(Diedrich Bader, of Drew Carey fame)'s response when asked what he'd do if he won the lottery(which I can't repeat on a family board). Those 2 examples alone present a difficult choice.

Our little experiment shows why these mega lotteries are such a rip-off of people who cannot afford to play them.

I've heard some guy on the radio call them "a tax on the stupid(or poor)", but a google of that can likely find some healthy debate, so I will stick with "uncertain" for now although for the most part I agree with your point.

What I am certain of, is that I like our lotteries more than the ones in The Hunger Games.

San Jose, Cal (gift shop) and someplace in Georgia had winning tickets, so looking like 2 people will each be getting $170 mil cash. Wow.

I don't understand why they don't break it up more. I am a capitalist, but it seems absurd that only 2 people will split that money, and more importantly, likely blow that money away. Especially, money they did not earn. Have different tiered prizes greater than $1-2 mil. $50 mil for grand prize, a few $25 mil prizes, then a bunch of $5-10 mil prizes.

Change the lives of a several instead of a couple.

I've heard some guy on the radio call them "a tax on the stupid(or poor)", but a google of that can likely find some healthy debate, so I will stick with "uncertain" for now although for the most part I agree with your point.

What I am certain of, is that I like our lotteries more than the ones in The Hunger Games.
May the odds be ever in your favor

Bought 5 quick picks and have one number match. Only 1!

Dadgumit!

At 11 p.m., you will learn that six women from Fairfield County .. who never play the lottery ... won it because they decided at lunch today that it would be fun to each buy a ticket for the group ... and then win $100 million each (before taxes).

not to burst your bubble Ms. CTO, but it would have only been about ~$50 mil each. The $636m is the amount paid out over the annuity. The cash option (which seems to be the popular way to go) which is roughly half of the advertised number you see on the billboards.

And then taxed.

San Jose, Cal (gift shop) and someplace in Georgia had winning tickets, so looking like 2 people will each be getting $170 mil cash. Wow.

I don't understand why they don't break it up more. I am a capitalist, but it seems absurd that only 2 people will split that money, and more importantly, likely blow that money away. Especially, money they did not earn. Have different tiered prizes greater than $1-2 mil. $50 mil for grand prize, a few $25 mil prizes, then a bunch of $5-10 mil prizes.

Change the lives of a several instead of a couple.

FYI, the ticket in Georgia was sold in Buckhead next to Phipps Plaza very close to where the team hotel was for the final 4.

And that throws the theory out of country bumpkin towns selling winning lotto tix.

not to burst your bubble Ms. CTO, but it would have only been about ~$50 mil each. The $636m is the amount paid out over the annuity. The cash option (which seems to be the popular way to go) which is roughly half of the advertised number you see on the billboards.

And then taxed.
How is one to feed latrell spreewells kids in 50 mil? An outrage.